Thread: 338 rum

Basic Member

338 rum

i know not Savage but my Dads gun.
    Rem 700 xcr 338 rum 26" barrel
    load: 300gr berger 75-76.5 gr H4832sc average fps is 2350 max 2423 well below the fps of 2500 that berger claims
    Seat depth: Deep

I am having a problem with some of my Primer Pockets backing out of the Brass.Then I cant seat a new one. Brass only reload 1st

You have got to get away from that H4831, a 300gr bullet is they equivalent of launching an anchor, you should be using Retumbo or H1000 anything faster than that it will find the weak link and it has found it. No matter if you follow there load data.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Thank you Dean. We use h1000 and got around 2550 fps and no other problems. They shot about 3/4 in at 100 yards. Now we found his load for his moose hunt next fall

Don't you just love a happy ending.LOL

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

I try to look at the big picture. In my opinion, you're a bit out of balance. That 300g Berger, is forcing you to the really slow powders. Slow powders need decent barrel length to get all the powder burned.

I've always thought that the 338RUM is best with 225g-250g bullets like the Accubonds.

The 300g's really shine when you push them with a little more gas like the 338 Edge, 340 Weatherby, and the 338 Lapua.

My Rem 700 in 338RUM cuts a single hole with 225g Accubonds with a fairly modest load of H1000.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar