Thread: Help with stock replacement

Basic Member

Help with stock replacement

I'd like to replace the stock on my new FCP-SR but being new to bolt guns and specifically Savage bolt guns I'm not really sure where to look and what to look for. I've been looking at Boyd's and also at Mike's but it's all a little confusing with the terminology and all the different Savage model designations. I'm looking for either walnut or a nice laminate and weight really isn't a concern. I know my rifle is a short action, top bolt release, detachable box mag model but other than that, what should I be looking for to be sure it fits? I would think the heavy barrel would require a certain minimum size barrel channel and I see that most of the stocks specify a certain distance between the action screws. Anything else, any caveats that I should be aware of? Do all aftermarket stocks require some relieving and do they require bedding before being installed? I definitely don't want to adversely affect accuracy which is why I went with Savage to start with.
    If anybody has any specific recommendations, I'd welcome them as well.
    Thanks in advance for your input.

Basic Member
    It depends on what you are looking to do with the Rifle, I went with a Boyds Varmint Thumbhole for my Savage Build. Had to sand out the barrel channel to fit the Heavy Palma Barrel but that was all I had to do.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170117_180008 (3).jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	2604

You may need to call them with your info on model and they will be able to let you know whats available.

Basic Member
    I'm going thru the same thing now, in this thread: http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...many-questions.

On Boyds once you go through the selector you should see the measurements for the barrel channel. For my 12FV it looks like the Classic and Prairie Hunter have a barrel channel .035" too narrow. I may try one and see if it can be sanded enough to fit. To get the web site to show this you need to specify Model 11 and no top or bottom bolt release. I don't know yet what the ramifications are...

Basic Member
    Calling Boyds is a good idea since they have a couple of stocks that I'm interested in. My rifle will be used for target shooting from the bench at 100-300 yards. I just put on a Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP scope with M-RAD ACSS reticle.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindA...=A17&Action=4D

Here is what I found: Savage 10 top bolt release, right hand bolt, center feed, with DBM... when you know if you have a stagger feed or center feed, then you can refine your search a bit more. I suggest measuring your action screws from center to center with a tape and that will give you the measurement (or close to it) you will need to know when you order your stock.

I'm a huge fan of the Pro Varmint stock myself. I just put one on my 260 rem build and it is my favorite stock thus far (have a prairie hunter also).