Thread: Moder 16 History/Info?

Basic Member

Moder 16 History/Info?

I'm new here...just bought a model 16 two weeks ago chambered in 300wsm.

Just wondering why I dont see much about them here in the forms. Been thinking about calling Savage, but feel I can't get a better and smarter response from you guys...

Any one know of any chamber issues?

I'm having case sizing problem with Lee dies...they are almost impossible to contact.

FYI-I've reloaded since the late 70's...just so you know...

What info are you wanting to know? I think it's very possible that at some point, somebody has had a chamber issue or two.

What are the case sizing problems that you are being plagued with? The more info that you can provide, the better that the guys and gals here will be able to help.

And Welcome aboard!

Best Regards,

Basic Member
    Well it seems the chamber is very short. I full length sized both once fired from the rifle and once fired from a buddies gun. Both cases loadings are very hard to close. Last night I took two sized but not loaded cases and basically sized them in the chamber. They both work fine the action now.

I'm taking three loaded rounds to work tomorrow so my buddy can try them in his rifle.

I talked to Lee again today and they feel the chamber is small, but the factory ammo I've bought has fed fine. They said I could send the die back to them with a couple fire formed cases and they would trim the bottom off the die to "head space" the brass to the correct length of my rifle.

Also wondering is there any where I could go to enter my serial number to get manufacturing info on my rifle????

Just from what I'm seeing the action is pre-2003?!?!?!?!? It has a flat rear bridge. I even take my safe queens out hunting once in a while so they show that use...this gun is clean. I was in shock when buying bases and they kept referring to the flat bridge as being pre-2003.

And...was the model 16 only produced a few years? My thoughts were the 16 would newer than the 10 and 11...but seem everyone has those!?!?!?!?

The series of 16s and 116s basically stainless versions which are based on the model 10 and 110 actions. Almost all of the centerfire rifles with number model designations are based on the 10s and 110s with two digit model numbers being short actions and 3 digit model numbers being long actions. Very early ones were almost all based on a long action reciever. generally the 10/110 models are either early hunting rigs or mid to late production law enforcement rifles. 11/111 are generally hunting rigs, 12/112s are varmint or target models, 14/114s are usually a fancier grade of hunting rifle and the 16/116s are stainless hunting rigs usually with synthetic stocks known as the weather warriors. Components for the most part on most of these rifles especially those manufactured through the 90s are modular and easily swapped between models and many parts are interchangeable even with the more modern rifles with a little tinkering ability.

Be sure and read the instructions with the Lee dies carefully. Their presses don't cam over like some of the other brands and their dies have to be adjusted a little differently in a press that cams over. The instructions should spell that out somewhere on the instruction sheet.
    Are you sure you have the right trim length?
    Have you tried seating the bullet a little deeper?

The savage website has a parts finder that will let you enter the serial number and should show what configuration your rifle left the factory in. (looks like they changed up the web site since I've visited, not sure about the parts finder anymore???)
    Good luck and I hope this info though not absolute helps clear up and or troubleshoot some of your questions.
    BHJ
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 01-20-2017 at 12:06 AM.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Thanks BHJ. I have talked to Lee twould times and told them I had a RCBS press and told them how I adjusted it. He said it should have worked fine in any of my three adjustments...first one...die touches tool head...1/4 turn tight...second...press was hard to break over...third...tool head bottomed out against die so press couldn't bottom out.

I tried three rounds in my friend Winchester and they were hard to chamber...

Ordered some Redding dies about 20 minutes later!

Thanks for the history lesson on the models...

I would like to put a box mag on it...right now it has the blind mag...

Assuming the barrel is factory original and has never been removed I would suspect the dies are bad long before I suspected the factory barrel.

When Savage cuts the chamber they cast a mold of the finished chamber and check it with a number of different gauges to ensure it is correct from several different points (i.e. one gauge for overall length, one for neck length, one for length to shoulder, etc.). The headspace is also checked at every station along the build process after the barrel is mated to an action. This includes when the barrel is installed, when it goes in for proof testing, when it goes to assembly where it's fitted with the magazine and stock, and again when it is test fired for feed & function.

Most reports of chamber issues have to do with throat length and bullet seating depth.

How much shoulder bump are you getting when you resize compared to a fired case? If your die isn't bumping the shoulder back a few thousandths then it's too long.

Have you checked the cases to see if the base out of tolerance. If I recall some brass will swell just above the web or even at the web making it tough to chamber. A small base die might work....just a thought.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    The gun is all factory...so the chamber has never been tinkered with.

The Lee dies are as close to a small base die as you can get. The entire case goes inside so it should be full length sizing. I think Lee screw'd the pooch on this die.

Thanks again guys for your replies!