Thread: Fiberglass resin and axis stock compatibility

Basic Member

Fiberglass resin and axis stock compatibility

I saw in another thread fiberglass resin mentioned as a stiffener for the axis stock, anyone used this, any compatibility issues? I used rocktite and aluminum rods on my current axis, have another coming and want to try something different.

thanks, Brian

Basic Member
    I know many have stiffened plastic stocks will all sorts of rods/glues/bubble gum, but this only addresses the fore end. Is anyone not concerned about the flex on the butt end? It seems like the handgrip section behind the receiver has a lot of twist in it as well. Any cures for that?

I will say I also own a Ruger American Rifle with a plastic stock and its *much* better than the Savage junk. Hell, even my Savage MKII in 22LR is stiffer than an Axis stock.

Basic Member
    I have used fiberglass resin and bondo in the butt stock. stiffens up real nice.

I would think spray foam insulation would work in the butt end of the stock.

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

Ricks308
    I just used rockite for the forend and it stiffend the front up. It stops the twisting out of it. What it doesn't do is that away all the side to side movement if you push on it. As for the grip section i filled it with rockite also to just behind the grip into the butstock. The grip is the solid not im torn in whether or not to fill the remainimg butstock with expanding foam.

When you used the aluminum rod did it take out the side to side movement

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricks308 View Post
    ......When you used the aluminum rod did it take out the side to side movement?
    The 3/16" rods improved but did not eliminate the side to side, I can make the stock sides touch the barrel with moderate pressure, thinking the rods need to go farther back than the recoil lug(not doable??) to reduce movement more. I also placed a rod through the wrist(hand grip) of the stock and filled it with rocktite, continued up approximately 2/3 the way to the butted. doncrs65 suggests spray insulating foam, this is worth looking into, lighter than rocktite by volume, the weight of the rocktite is what I don't like.

Brian

Ricks308
    I filled the grip with rockite to about an inch or so behind the grip. I didnt foam the rest as i did not notice flex in that part while shooting. I think that making and x with the metal rod my stop the side to side. Right now with factory loads im getting .66 moa out of 168 gr hpbt so i may not go any further with this stock. Ths is off a bipod on concrete table and a rear bag. Pretty tickled at this results and im wanting to get into lrprs and want this to be my gun to run while i learn the ins and outs