Thread: Building my first Savage

Daryl

Building my first Savage

So I'm building a Savage model 111 30-06 I acquired about one year ago. I just got done building my second AR and was gonna buy a rem700.. was looking at the collection thinking of what i want to do and where to put my money when BAM.. the Savage jumped out and wanted attention... so here I am wanting to make a long range accurate build and want some real respectable help so i don't waste my money. Please if anyone reading this can give me some advice I'll be so appreciative. Meanwhile I'll be searching this awesome site for some good ideas

Basic Member
    Welcome! This forum has a wealth of knowledge that has helped me considerably. A word of warning however, building and tinkering with Savage rifles is addictive. I now own 3 and in the process of buying a fourth!

Daryl
    Haha yea I've built a few guns this is just my next one. Last one was a M&P15. Nice gun but I am sooo intrigued by this Savage

Team Savage
    Welcome aboard

Daryl
    Thanks. Let me be more specific. What scope and trigger should I be looking into. Then I can get into bolt carriers, stocks and anything else you all might recommend

Basic Member
    What's a bolt carrier?

Welcome aboard
    Ackley was right all along

Daryl,

That model 11/111 has a pretty good trigger in it if it's the accutrigger... As far as a scope goes, it depends on what you're gonna use the rifle for.... Hunting rig should be good with a 3-9 or so.... If you're building a long range tack driver, then I'd say 6-18 or like myself, a 6-24. I don't know what a bolt carrier is.... So maybe someone else can answer that.

Stocks are a plenty, but I only have experience with the Boyd's stocks. Pro Varmint and Prairie Hunter designs. If you are a righty, you may have Bobby Hart LRT stock available to you (through Stockystocks.com)

The rabbit hole can go pretty deep if you aren't careful.... It's an addiction.

Daryl
    Bolt carrier is me thinking my AR. I have a simmons 3x9 scope now. I just want long range accuracy. I can't hunt with a rifle in Ohio but venture to KY during gun season once in a while.

If you are looking for long range accuracy, then IMO you would want to go with a higher end optic with adjustable turrets for dialing or doping your scope. Aftermarket barrels are going to be better than a Stock savage barrel (most of the time).

You definitely will want to swap out the cheap plastic POS stock that comes on the 11/111...

Welcome
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Team Savage
    howdy

Daryl
    Thanks all.
    Any recommendations on the stock? This black plastic junk isn't going to work

Welcome
    Darryl, I don't know if you hand load or not, but that's the biggest accuracy improvement someone can make to a modern centerfire rifle period. I'd recommend a starter setup (Lee anniversary kit is a good one to start) and a good manual.
    As far as the rifle itself tuning the factory trigger up is always a good start and the factory synthetics are pretty useful as they come but can always be bedded and tinkered with to improve them in a multitude of ways. The scope is gonna depend on your budget, but a good name brand scope and mounts(leupold comes to mind) is always a good move.
    Over and over again I see a lot of guys throwing good money after bad changing parts on rifles when a good load was all that was needed from the start.
    It seems to be a sport in itself of going to the range with a factory Savage and a box or two full of hand loads, sitting down at a bench beside a tactifool or big talking/big money custom, and shooting one ragged hole. It's even better if the Savage has a rattle can paint job and maybe even bedded with JB Weld.
    Of course spend your money as you wish....
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Welcome!
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways