Thread: swapping barrels on model 10

swapping barrels on model 10

Howdy, have not been on this site for some time. Was a member years ago when I started shooting savages but something happen either to my computer or the site and i cold not get back on. Anyway back now. Always received good information here so when this project came up this is where I went. I have an older savage model 10 in .308 9that was built up with help from here). Now I think I'm coming down with the 6.5 creedmoor bug and want to swap barrels. I saw a company EA Brown selling barrels and was wondering if anyone here has any info on them. I understand it easy to swap barrels but they will do it for $30 plus shipping. Sounds good? Any other info would also be appreciated. Thanks

Basic Member
    Depending on your choice of tools, The cost will be north of $100. You need nut wrench, barrel vice or action wrench, head space gauges, and a good solid work bench to work on. I got started about 3 years ago. Now I have 3 actions and 6 barrels and an additional barrel on order. Beware it is habit forming. Good luck

Basic Member
    I just did my first barrel swap last week and the tools from Northland Shooters Supply came to $155.53 including shipping. Great customer service and top quality tools, worth every penny. That included action wrench, barrel nut wrench and both no & no go gauges. You don't really need the no/go gauge and could save 28.50 there if you wanted. I swapped out a 22-250 to a Creedmoor on a 12 VLP with no surprises. I can see where this could become addicting, these Savages are fun to work on, glad I bought the tools.

Banned
    100% on NSS.

I would at least get the Go gauge. Put a piece of tape on the back to check for the no go. I set mine pretty tight, won't being to close on the no go.

EA Brown barrels are about the same quality as a Savage barrel. Shipping is going to cost you propyl $50 both ways. $30 for the work.

So you work your way up to the tools if you do more than one.

I am working with 4 barrels, two are fixed and two are swaps around on what I call my test Chasis, I am looking at another barrel for that and maybe e a 6.5 down the road.

It is addictive.

EABCo sells nice button rifled barrels. They aren't likely to get many cheerleaders, but they shoot just fine. My experience says that "cheaper" barrels just don't clean up as well, or easily; but shoot accurately for most.
    Shipping a rifle is typically $35-45, each way. So i took the route suggested and bought tools.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

6.5 or 6mm Kreiger or Brux, 8 twist, let me know if you interested in one of these. Pick you contour and length.

One would make a great 6.5 Creedmoor barrel.

Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

ksadz100
    Another Thumbs up for Northland Shooters Supply and doing it yourself. I took the plunge in December with my Mod 10, bought the tools and a Shilen barrel, and converted from .308 to 6.5CM.

I was REALLY nervous about doing it cuz I am a tinkerer at best and barrel changes were "gunsmith" territory in my mind. But even taking my time triple checking everything, it took less than 15 minutes. Believe the experienced guys when they say it takes them 5 minutes. There's literally nothing complicated about it. It won't be my last. BTW the thing is a hammer.

Banned
    This is one of those areas that while not complicated is also deeply technical area that gets you the correct results needed with the right procedure! Phew, that's a mouthful.

I do a lot of this stuff at work but I hate doing it at home. This was both interesting and easily done and I had fun with it as I hoped and that's pretty cool

I thought I was pretty good (ego) swapped a barrel back to do some 06 testing and erratic results.

I had gotten the headspace wrong, way too long. Not sure how, I am careful, I have the gauges yadi yadi but screwed it up (pun fully intended)

No damage, just a bit of a puzzle as to why, kick myself in the butt to pay closer attention.

Sort of that thing that gets routine and you don't pay enough attention to.

WeldNFool
    Go and NoGo gauges are a must, $30-40 or something, barrel nut wrenches, smooth and toothed set cost me $30 or something like that. Barrel vise?? Yeah, I didn't use one. I have steel coming out of my eyeballs so not paying for a barrel vise. Smooth wrench, brand new out of the package and the little bolt broke. $200 Metabo die grinder, $100 worth of burr bits in different shapes and sizes and a small cold chisel and lots of patience, no more smooth nut and threads on factory barrel untouched. Luckily for me I already owned the expensive stuff so no cost.

A couple of wood blocks with V notches cut and mounted on a base is good to hold the barrel and action, and soft cloth in the notches for barrel protection if you wish. I have steel V's on an adjustable 1" steel plate I use for welding on pipe. Put down some heavy cotton pads and did my barrel change right there. My headspace on the factory barrel measured 2.945". When I got the new barrel on it measured 2.925", NoGo and Go gauges did what they were supposed to do when tested. Put 54 rounds thru it today using a "break in procedure". Had nice groups using hunting ammo for the soul purpose of recovering the brass for my hand loads and choice of bullets. At 150 yards put seven rounds in a row on a 6" round plate just by using the hold over method on my temporary cheap scope.

If that company will do it for $30 though, hard to beat that price when you consider the tooling required. If you plan on building or playing around more in the future the tools are worth the money.