Thread: superficial barrel damage?

Basic Member

superficial barrel damage?

Teeth on my wrench cut through the strap leather used to remove barrels, and marred/gouged the outside barrel finish where the teeth scraped into the metal. Purely cosmetic or not safe to shoot. Never had this problem and my first concern is safety.

Basic Member
    Cosmetic. But some advice, get yourself a barrel vice. It will make the job easier and won't damage anything.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/gun-part...prod58959.aspx

Team Savage
    Can't see it from here so NO WORRIES!!
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Cosmetic. Just think, some people pay to have their barrels fluted. You just did yours for free.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    Haha thanks fellas! Beyond the obvious....how would you clean it up? Minor circumvential sanding within reason and some permablue? Getting rebarreled at a later date but right now if it's safe, it's getting chucked up and shot until it goes to barrel heaven...

Quote Originally Posted by txsavageshtr View Post
    Beyond the obvious....how would you clean it up?
    it's getting chucked up and shot until it goes to barrel heaven...
    Clean it up the obvious way, grab a file and knock down the ridges so you don't cut yourself. If you are terribly vain, grab a sharpie and color till your hearts content.
    You plan on shooting the snot out of it until it's toast, not cuddling up for a romantic dinner.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

schnyd112
    I have read claims, or confirmed reports depending on your thoughts, of the stamping on barrels deforming the chamber/bore. It sounds like these are more scratches than gouges though and it's on the meat of the barrel. I say you are good to go.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Clean it up the obvious way, grab a file and knock down the ridges so you don't cut yourself. If you are terribly vain, grab a sharpie and color till your hearts content.
    You plan on shooting the snot out of it until it's toast, not cuddling up for a romantic dinner.
    I'm more of a snuggler....ha

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by schnyd112 View Post
    I have read claims, or confirmed reports depending on your thoughts, of the stamping on barrels deforming the chamber/bore. It sounds like these are more scratches than gouges though and it's on the meat of the barrel. I say you are good to go.
    I don't think it deformed it because the marks weren't so much from compression as it was rotation. I'll do a multi axial assessment of the same area around the area to see if any deviation is present. I'll do a pictorial of damage and repair process. For aesthetics

Quote Originally Posted by txsavageshtr View Post
    I'm more of a snuggler....ha
    Then i suggest a merlot
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black with darken up bare steel quite well. I find it works better on steel than aluminum.

Basic Member
    I had this idea before having performed very well on other projects. I will provide pics and detailed steps for those who like DIY and nonsense with guns and those that like both. About how I plan to repair these gouges and, once finished, no one but myself and those reading will ever know it happened. I'm very OCD. My brain won't let this go until it's complete and perfect as can be.

After it took 3 hours to get as perfect of a 90* barrel face by hand as possible, it will be funny. Buddy measure me out at only off by 0.001...I went through many ....many sheets of 2000 and 4000 grit sand paper. Just to see if I could do it without buying the tools.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicfromAlabama View Post
    Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black with darken up bare steel quite well. I find it works better on steel than aluminum.
    Thank you sir! I did not know they made such stuff! I've been out of the gun game now for over a decade. I know of the blues but not the black! A must have!

I also thought about a Duracoat spray down for a new color to throw some "brand new" on papa's "bag" lol

I'd just shoot it. Wouldn't even bother fixing anything.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    I'm about to go that route. I've been mirror polishing out the factory stamped recoil lug and repeatedly checked for uniform contact with powder rests and finally got it....7 sheets of sandpaper later. I might have used up all my "give a ****" after this and the barrel cut/recrown. Almost 9 hours combined between the 2.