Thread: Reloading the 22 Nosler?

dakotamike

Reloading the 22 Nosler?

So my add-to-cart finger is getting very twitchy wanting to buy the AR Stoner upper that Midway USA is offering, but I can't quite commit yet. For one, I question the quality of a $100 barrel/$450 complete upper. My second hold back is brass life and reloading.

I have never reloaded a cartridge with a rebated rim. I guess I was wondering if you have to worry about crushing it down after it has been reloaded and the brass worked a few times? I realize brass life will be shorter in the gas gun anyway, just looking for others experiences with similar shaped cartridges.

If it performs like they claim, the Predator Max 22-250 may get put on prairie dog duty only.

Crushing rebated rims is never a concern, unless the brass is total garbage.

A 22-250 at any mildly populated prairie dog town, will very shortly become a tomatoe stake for your garden
    Ask me how I know that trick...
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

cwlongshot
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotamike View Post
    So my add-to-cart finger is getting very twitchy wanting to buy the AR Stoner upper that Midway USA is offering, but I can't quite commit yet. For one, I question the quality of a $100 barrel/$450 complete upper. My second hold back is brass life and reloading.

I have never reloaded a cartridge with a rebated rim. I guess I was wondering if you have to worry about crushing it down after it has been reloaded and the brass worked a few times? I realize brass life will be shorter in the gas gun anyway, just looking for others experiences with similar shaped cartridges.

If it performs like they claim, the Predator Max 22-250 may get put on prairie dog duty only.
    My buddy thinks like you... We bought 300 Blk uppers together. he listened to a Gun Smith friend. Who told him the ONLY upper to buy was form AAC cause THEY built the cartridge and all others would give some kind of problem. I said NO. Thats based on my lifes experience of nearly 35 years shooting and fiddlin with AR's. Where I spend $$ is on the BARREL. He dumped nearly a G-note... I spent 350 (NO BCG)!! and the 50 was a upcharge for a Green Mountain barrel! Well that was two years ago... Mine still shoots SUB 1/2MOA! His...well it STARTED at a sub MOA gun. But after about 500 rounds it started to open up and throw flyers. Soon accuracy was 2-3MOA at best and it was returned to AAC. They had it for over a month when they told him it had a bad barrel and it would be replaced. then weeks later, they told him that they did not have a barrel and would no longer be offering a upper only and would be refunding his $$, please send them a copy of his receipt. Nothing against our friend the GS, but decisions are based on experience both first hand and that gleaned from close friends and personal observations. Not on false confidence placed solely on a manufacturer. He learned and lucky it did not cost him monetarily. he actually has come out ahead if you think about it. because he was able to learn FREE of charge and now owns the same upper as mine, (different tube, BCG and gas system) AND its wearing a Green Mountain barrel. :)

I would not at all be afraid of that upper. As for the rebated rim, its not popular mostly case its proprietary brass. I would not worry at all about it "collapsing". The design is sound and if you have brass, The availability of of less of a concern. As to it burning barrels.. well HEAT does that, higher velocities generally produce heat. Solution...bring a couple uppers or multiple firearms to dog shoots. :) A GOOD RF can teach you allot of what bullets do at distance if you open your eyes. :) PLUS bringing a RF for those closer shots also allows the CF to cool. If you want your barrel to last, good rule of thumb is if you cant hold your hand on the barrel...it is getting too hot to continue shooting.

CW

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post

As for the rebated rim, its not popular mostly case its proprietary brass.
    CW
    The Nosler rep at the SHOT Show told me the brass was not going to be proprietary so any brass manufacturer would be able to produce it in the future.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_W View Post
    The Nosler rep at the SHOT Show told me the brass was not going to be proprietary so any brass manufacturer would be able to produce it in the future.
    Good to know. I want one but will wait until other brass becomes available.