Thread: I think I got a shooter

Kzink89

I think I got a shooter

Pick up a model 11 trophy hunter xp 308 a while back and immediately replaced the cheap Nikon with a vortex pst 4-16x50 ffp when I went to mount it they didn't have the talley 1 piece rings in stock and let the sales guy talk me into some warne rings. Got the rifle sighted in and it wouldn't hold zero, came to realize they wouldn't hold well on the bases that came with the gun. Took those back and got the talleys like I had wanted so it was time to zero the rifle again. Loaded everything up and went to the range today only to realize I grabbed the wrong boxes of ammo with only 5 rounds total in there. Well I got the first 2 shots off and got it semi close to target but wanted to see how it grouped so places a black dot bottom left corner of the target and let the last 3 fly. Was pretty impressed with it being that I haven't replaced the Tupperware stock, what do you think?

upload an image

TurboSportTSi
    Impressive! Looks like you have already found the ammo that it likes. That is half the battle.

Good shooting

Kzink89
    Thank you, the surprising part is it's 150 brain federal power shock. I was certain the 1 in 10 twist would prefer something a little heavier

Basic Member
    Brain federal? Oxymoron. Brain a federal (government) don't go together at all. Know what you mean though.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

schott
    I have that same gun in 6.5 creedmoor with the same talley rings with a leupold vx-1, 2-7 and shoots great with the factory stock which I wont be changing I think some people just like spending money if all your doing is deer or bear hunting there's nothing wrong with that Tupperware stock if you know anyone with a left handed youth model trophy hunter stock that wants to get rid of it contact me

Kzink89
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    Brain federal? Oxymoron. Brain a federal (government) don't go together at all. Know what you mean though.
    I will agree with you there, try living in ca I don't even know how they get dressed in the mornings. What I meant was 150 grain. I might try something a little heavier next time see if the gun likes it

Quote Originally Posted by Kzink89 View Post
    Thank you, the surprising part is it's 150 brain federal power shock. I was certain the 1 in 10 twist would prefer something a little heavier
    10 twist doesn't mean it will prefer heavier projectiles.

I have a hunting 10 twist 300winmag Mod-111 that loves 130gr TTSX at 3,550 fps with a 0.250" jump to the rifling ! It's the most accurate load in that barrel.