Thread: Savage 12F/TR 223 reviews and...???

Sparks

Question Savage 12F/TR 223 reviews and...???

I am looking at the F/TR in 223 because I want a really nice target rifle. If you have one, how do you like it, what kind of groups are you getting and would you buy it again? I already load for the 223 and want low recoil and low noise rifle. I might shoot 1000yds 2 times a year and wonder if the F/TR 223 80-90gr bullets will make it. Second choice is the .308 F/TR, how does it compare to other .308 rifles regarding accuracy? The primary use of either rifle is targets, I know the 308 is better for long range than the 223 but would like to know how it shoots as well. Thanks for your time....!!!:)

Basic Member
    Doesn't really help the topic much but I have matching Remington 700s in 223 and 308, set up the exact same minus optics, so that I could practice and get the trigger time on the set up and not use up components and barrel life.

I'm assuming the Savage 223s don't come with a 7 twist barrel so launching the heavies might be difficult.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    I am looking at the F/TR in 223 because I want a really nice target rifle. If you have one, how do you like it, what kind of groups are you getting and would you buy it again? I already load for the 223 and want low recoil and low noise rifle. I might shoot 1000yds 2 times a year and wonder if the F/TR 223 80-90gr bullets will make it. Second choice is the .308 F/TR, how does it compare to other .308 rifles regarding accuracy? The primary use of either rifle is targets, I know the 308 is better for long range than the 223 but would like to know how it shoots as well. Thanks for your time....!!!:)
    Not sure you can say because on rifle was a good/bad, the next will be. Savage doesn't segregate lines, just assemble with common components and options for the various lines. As to the question about the 223 bullets, yes they will easily make it, However..... I've shot to 1200 several times using a 9-twist and 77gr SMK's, the trick isn't getting the bullets that far, the trick is the wind. The bullet is light enough that wind really pushes on them. So if shooting in the wind, you can get really lost really quickly. As an important note about twist, as mentioned previously; be cautious. The 9-twist CAN stabilize a 77gr, but not always. The 75gr Amax is significantly longer, and typically can be problematic for anything longer. You really do need a faster twist if you want to stabilize and capitalize on the available BC.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Just in case you didn't find out already, the F/TR in 223 does come with a 7 twist barrel so you would be good for up to 90gr Bullets.
    I don't have the 223 but I do have the 308 version and it's been an excellent rifle for the money paid. Truth be told it's the most accurate rifle I own outshoting even my Sako TRG-22 which really made me wonder why I spent 3 times as much money on the Sako.

Basic Member
    I have the 12 F/TR in .223 (1:7) and is sub MOA at 100 yards with every bullet weight I have shot, even bullets that are "too light" for the twist rate. It is a very heavy rifle, and much of that weight is in front of the forearm. This is not a rifle for offhand shooting. It just wants to point down like a dowsing rod. It does, however, ride the bags really well. And the heavy barrel resists heating better than any firearm I have shot. I like it.

I'm assuming the Savage 223s don't come with a 7 twist barrel so launching the heavies might be difficult.
    What twist do you suggest for shooting heavies in a 223? A 5 twist or a 9 twist? What weight bullet can you use with a 7 twist? 55's?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Mine actually does have a 1:7 twist. Says so right on the barrel. I think you can go up to 82 grain bullets in a 1:7. See www.bergerbullets.com/pdf/Quick-Reference-Sheets.pdf. 80 through 82 grains max, although I never have. I think 77 grains is as heavy as I have in the shed., I shoot 55 grain bullets through mine all the time and they do fine at 100 y (short range to many of you. But that's what I've got.) That Berger chart suggests you need 1:6 to stabilize a 90 grain .223 pill. Dunno from personal experience, as I said above.

Here's a target that I am not particularly proud of, which shows different bullet weights at 100 Y off of a bench/BullsBag out of the Savage 12 F/TR in .223 (1:7). This from when the barrel was brand new and I was testing different factory ammunition in the rifle to get a baseline for performance at 100 yards.

8. 01-07-2021, 05:49 PM

Reason
    Rule Violation: Selling outside classifieds

Basic Member
    Twist and velocity make the difference in stability. The 1:9 in my Axis is good for 77gn SMK's and 75gn ELD bullets at near max loads (2800fps at 4500ft elevation). I shoot it regularly to 600yd sub MOA. As stated the wind is the hard part. I've shot it to 1000yd a couple times. The only group I shot was about 18" on a day with 5-10mph wind. I am not good at doping wind.

I also have a .308 (12 BVSS) that shoots well out to 1000yd. It is well below MOA at 600 when I am doing my job. I have shot it a few times at 1000yd. Two groups that I shot were 8" and 7" with 155gn ELD match bullets.

Depends on what your goal is. Do you want to try for 1/4MOA groups or less? Xring on Fclass targets? That takes a lot of skill and trigger time. The .223 will be easier to hone those skills, but, you will have to learn more about wind doping to stay in an X ring. Probably not a bad thing :)

10. 01-07-2021, 06:30 PM
    Reason
    Rule Violation: Buying/selling outside of classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by captcliff View Post
    i have a new never fired savage f/tr 223. unfortunately , my health recently went south. maybe this could find a new home?
    This post is 4 years old and the Original Poster only made this one post and has not returned since.
    Not trying to be a prude but if you are looking to sell it, you could put an ad in the classifieds. The owner outlines this in the site rules.
    Good luck.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Heck. I need to look back at thread dates with a bit more care.

13. 01-20-2021, 11:17 PM
    Reason

Basic Member
    I think you need a minimum number of posts before you can send PM's.

No, not selling the Axis.

captsliff is the one trying to sell his F/TR in .223

15. 01-21-2021, 11:29 PM
    Reason