Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BARREL CLEANING

okie2

BARREL CLEANING

What is the best carbon cutter bar none?
    I bought a used 308 barrel I have been cleaning on it for 2 days
    I have used about everything plus brass brushes and I am still getting carbon out of it.
    Have used about 100 patches.
    I know it is bound to have copper in it but have not got any traces of it yet.

Basic Member

Re: BARREL CLEANING

gee i have never had one that bad but if you can plug one end of the barrel you might try filling it with kroil and let it set for a day or two. that should at least start to get under it by then where you can get most of it out. kroil does great things when you want it to get under something. i know it will cut light carbon and the regular stuff like rust is doomed.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

okie2

thanks I just ordered some kroil and Butches Bore Shine from midway today.
    I bet the guy that had this barrel never ever cleaned it.
    I also know there is bound to be some copper under the carbon.
    I just have not reached it yet.

82boy

I found that Kroil and butches is not the best thing on carbon.

Best thing to cut carbon is GM TEC (Top Engine Cleaner) General Motors dropped it from their dealerships but replaced it for TE&FIC. (Top engine and fuel injector cleaner.) Doing this the priced tripled, but the product supposedly works the same. Some dealerships have the old stuff on the shelf and if you can find it buy all of it. Back in the day you got a big can of it for 5 bucks.

Now if you want a gun cleaner that works, get a bottle of Shooter Choice. You may ask what is in shooter Choice that makes it work so good, well in the list is GM TEC. I found on bad carbon deposits that cleaning with JB bore paste is absolutely needed, followed up with shooters choice letting the shooters choice sit a hour or two before cleaning it out. In extreme cases I take a worn out bore brush and wrap it with 0000 steel wool, and coat it with JB and run it back and forth.

okie2

a long with engine cleaners what about gunk.
    I have not seen any of it for a long time though.
    I just found this site very interesting how to clean barrels..
    http://www.frfrogspad.com/cleaners.htm

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by okie2
    a long with engine cleaners what about gunk.
    No.

I read that a long time ago, and I don't quite believe it. If you going to remove carbon why not cut a carbon fouled barrel into segment's and soak each segment in the solution, instead of trying to mimic making coper on a strip. He never tried TEC, Shooters choice, or RB17. But he also never had a control what happen when you use plain water? I just don't buy everything I read on the Internet.

AVanGorder

What is the best carbon cutter bar none?.....
    KG1 is the best thing I have found. I know exactly what you are talking about. I neglected my first two bench rest barrels and had a dickens of a time getting it out... I tried every thing I could get my hands on. KG1 is without a doubt the best thing I could find. It works very well.

Adrian
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...campaign=10612

fflmike

Spray brake cleaner is the best thing I have found to use. $2.48 at Walmart. Just don't get it on plastic! A friend bought an old Japanese rifle for $75 and it was supposed to have a bad barrel. It was black inside. He tried lots of stuff to no avail. Cleaned it with brake cleaner (with very little effort) and then the barrel was just fine. Shoots 2" groups at 100 yards now with hand loads. I know one well known custom gun maker that only uses brake cleaner to clean barrels.

DGD6MM

I've used GM top engine cleaner for a few years now and it is good. But... last month while we were cleaning and borescoping barrels before and after, I had the chance to use KG against GM tec and the KG is far better. Toyota makes a TEC that you can purchase, and you can still find it here and there at the Chevy dealer. I'll be buying the KG.

Any thoughts on Seafoam?

Ray Gunter

For Carbon removal I rely on an old formula..... Ed's Red
    Its a DIY.
    I make a gallon and give some to my buddies.
    This stuff really works.... for carbon.... not very good for copper

Basic Member

I recently whipped up a gallon of Ed's Red and it really works well on everything except copper. The lanolin in Ed's Red is supposed to help reduce future copper fouling.
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

okie2

So what does it take to make ED's RED ??

Wipeout! 'Nuff said! ;D
    Kelly

dmack

So what does it take to make ED's RED ??
    http://home.comcast.net/~dsmjd/tux/d...ch/eds_red.htm

m.g

WIPEOUT OVER NIGHTAND FOLLOW WITH A WET PATCH OF BUTCHES TO WIPE IT CLEAN .

DGD6MM

I use wipeout . I've let it sit for a few hours ,over night and it does a good job. I've found better results with the KG, it removes carbon better then GM top engine cleaner.

okie2

any one ever used slip 2000 carbon killer?

maxima2

Wipeout and Patchout. Patchout is just non-foaming Wipeout. Excellent products and won't hurt a barrel when left in it overnight. Gets copper and carbon out.

wapaloose

Seafoam works great,

AVanGorder

any one ever used slip 2000 carbon killer?
    Yes - It is kids stuff compared to KG1.

Adrian

Pete K.

Quote Originally Posted by AVanGorder
    KG1 is the best thing I have found. I know exactly what you are talking about. I neglected my first two bench rest barrels and had a dickens of a time getting it out... I tried every thing I could get my hands on. KG1 is without a doubt the best thing I could find. It works very well.

Adrian
    Adrian,
    So I did a little checking on the KG1 and found an interesting report. See link. Is the KG12 just a larger container? How much do you use for one good cleaning? What I'm asking should I just order the KG12?

http://www.jarheadtop.com/KG12_Test_Results.htm

Pete K.

OK, I figured it out... KG1 is for carbon and KG12 is for copper removal. Thanks.... Then there's KG3 aerosol that removes both... right?

MikePrice

The best bar none is Deaton Gun Care.

http://www.deatonsguncare.com/

AVanGorder

Quote Originally Posted by Pete K.
    Quote Originally Posted by AVanGorder

Adrian
    Adrian,
    So I did a little checking on the KG1 and found an interesting report. See link. Is the KG12 just a larger container? How much do you use for one good cleaning? What I'm asking should I just order the KG12?

http://www.jarheadtop.com/KG12_Test_Results.htm

Pete K.

OK, I figured it out... KG1 is for carbon and KG12 is for copper removal. Thanks.... Then there's KG3 aerosol that removes both... right?
    Pete,

KG12 is a wonderful product, the only downside is that you aren't sure when all the copper is out. Most copper cleaners present a dark blue color when copper is there. When there is no more dark blue on the patch, you're done. KG12 is strange, you won't see that dark blue color. It's more brownish. But KG12 will clean the copper out and it does it extremely fast.

I conducted my own test a couple years ago. I got as many copper cleaners as I could get my hands on, put one drop of each on different pennies, let them stay over night. The next day I wiped them off. Most of them did nothing, some removed some tarnish. KG12 actually pitted the penny.

KG1 - Saturate a patch and run it down the barrel, do it three times so the barrel is nice and coated. Wait about two minutes and scrub the barrel with a bronze brush which also has the KG1 on it. I typically stroke 15 times then run three dry patches down the barrel. You will feel the barrel is much smoother after doing this.

Adrian

okie2

I did the same thing with sweets 762 on a penny for 3 days
    it did nothing to the copper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast