Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 FCP-SR 6.5 Creedmoor

Basic Member

10 FCP-SR 6.5 Creedmoor

Several websites show a 10 FCP-SR in 6.5 Creedmoor with accutrigger and accustock, 24" barrel 1-8 twist, threaded. I've been looking at a 10 Stealth but for $600 even if I replace the stock I'm doing pretty good. Only downside I see is the Savage mag but if I swap the stock I can change the bottom metal.

Anybody handled on of these yet?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I've had my eyes on it too, as I have been toying with the idea of trying Creedmoor. I don't have any experiences with the 6.5 Creedmoor, but I have the .308 version that came in the HS Precision stock. I have been pleased with it. This is basically the same rifle with different stock and different caliber. I have no experience with the Accustock. Savage has a $75 rebate right now, which websites are claiming this model is eligible.

Well if you swap the stock to a chassis or other stock and change bottom metal you're past what a Stealth costs new. If I were you I'd just order a Stealth if that's I really wanted.

Whittaker's Savage Stealth 6.5 CM $950

I have one it is NOT 1-8 twist. It is 1-10. The ten round mag is very finicky, but pick up one of the reg 10 series mags and it feed flawlessly. The 10 round just has to be inserted perfectly to lock and feed correctly.

It shoots very well in factory configuration. I have only worked a load up for hunting with it in 140g SST. It held 1/2moa to 3/4 moa all the way out to 500 yards consistently. It made all my rifle deer chip shots this year in KY. I killed a buck at 266, a doe at 233, a doe at 185 and a running doe at 165. Now those aren't long range shots by any means, but after working that load out to 500 yards my confidence level with the rifle was super high and I never once hesitated to pull the trigger when I decided I wanted one of those deer. I killed a coyote at 415, and another yote at 280. I can't wait until I get the time to work up some lighter bullets and see what I can get out of them.

As the rifle sits I have:
    $565 in the rifle shipped
    $200 in used Vortex Viper HD
    $60 in DNZ mounts
    $75 in Harris Bipod
    Total $900

I already had a short action mag laying around, but I think they run like $40.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Banned
    Running animal at 165 yds is nothing to sneeze at.

Basic Member
    Great shooting and really great info. Normally I'd asked if you were sure about the twist rate and then call Savage but seeing how they shipped a bunch of Stealths with 22" barrels I'll trust the guy that's holding it. The 1-10 twist is a deal killer for me. I'm looking for a long range precision paper puncher and I wouldn't want to chance it not liking the heavier pills and have to rebarrel right away.

Thanks again

No prob it was a massive mystery for me I posted here questioning it before it arrived as I had been told Savage didn't make a 6.5 in 1-8. When it showed up it was infact 1-10 when I checked the twist rate.

Side note I prob should have said trotting doe at 165. My brother was with me and he was supposed to shoot it but he couldn't get it in it's sights and it started bounding to the wood line but slowed up to a trot 20 yards before the wood line. Had I not shot that rifle so much the week prior building and testing that load I would have let it walk but he needed the meat since he didn't have the amount of days to hunt that I did.

Quote Originally Posted by NicfromAlabama View Post
    I have no experience with the Accustock.
    I had not either before this rifle. It is just fine shooting off a rest or the pod. It forend seems stout enough. The biggest issue I have with it is how light it makes the butt end of the rig. Walking with it sling is a real PITA. You really have to hang on to the sling to keep it from wanting to flip over. Shooting off hand is very difficult as it is not balanced well at all with the heavier barrel and supper light back end of the stock. I am going to fiddle with adding weight to the butt as I don't care how heavy this thing is. I bought it to shoot off the bench at longer ranges to learn to shoot further. I just happened to need a second hunting rifle so my brother could hunt with me and he was already familiar with my .270 so he hunted with that to give him the best chance.

Basic Member
    Just to throw in another wrinkle I picked up a 16 lightweight hunter in 6.5 Creed yesterday and it didn't dawn on me until a few minutes ago that it might not be a 1-8 twist. Just finished measuring it and after 4 passes I got 1-8 1/4 or so but the tape on the rod method is not precise so it's somewhere in the 1-8 range.

The 10 fcp-sr I'm looking at has an FDE accustock so now I'm perplexed again. I doubt I can find one locally and what are the odds I can get a webstore to measure the twist rate? I'm back into the for $500 worst case scenario is I'll have another hunting rifle in 6.5 Creed.

Hey man I got to apologize this all happened several months ago. I got confused. My 10-fcp is in fact a 1-8 twist. It was labeled 1-10 on the site I bought it from. You got me thinking when you said you bought that 1-8 16 lightweight so I went back and reread my old thread it was opposite of what I was remembering. I was trying to save you some issues and ended up adding to the confusion. my bad. So if you are wanting a 1-8 you are good to go with the 10 fcp sr. Sorry for the confusion. dropping you a PM to make sure you get this info.
    Last edited by tufrthnails; 01-15-2017 at 04:36 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
    The 10 fcp-sr I'm looking at has an FDE accustock so now I'm perplexed again. I doubt I can find one locally and what are the odds I can get a webstore to measure the twist rate? I'm back into the for $500 worst case scenario is I'll have another hunting rifle in 6.5 Creed.
    That is the one I have been looking at too. Grabagun has it the cheapest from what I have seen. They list the twist at 1:10 though. The other sites selling the FDE model lists it as 1:8 twist. There is also supposed to be a $75 rebate, but I am not sure if that rifle is covered either. I looked on Savage's website. They do not show that model. But, all their Creedmoor rifles that I looked at listed a 1:8 twist. Grabagun's twist description is probably wrong, but I would hate to take that chance.

Basic Member
    That's where I'm looking as well. Funny that that's the only fcp in both calibers that lists a twist rate. I looked at the current rebate and all the 10 series except the BAs are eligible. I'm with you that grabagun is wrong. It's hard to believe that they'd make a different barrel just for them.

Grabagun is where I bought mine. It is listed incorrectly. I emailed them to let them know and they still haven't fixed it.

Basic Member
    Got out to the range today to break it in and shoot a few groups. Broke in and shot with factory 140gr ELD Match. Six three shot groups at 100 yards were;

.49"
    .65"
    .64"
    1.05"
    .67"
    .83"

Average group .72"

The weather was crappy. On and off light rain and shifting winds so I'm very pleased with the first outing. Took the last two rounds in the box a put two good center mass hits on steel at 500 yards.

As an aside, I took the action out of the stock to adjust the accutrigger and was more impressed than I thought I'd be with the aluminium bedding block in the accustock. I'm definitely not in a hurry to replace the stock with a higher end piece or chassis system.

$500 well spent!

Quote Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
    Got out to the range today to break it in and shoot a few groups. Broke in and shot with factory 140gr ELD Match. Six three shot groups at 100 yards were;

.49"
    .65"
    .64"
    1.05"
    .67"
    .83"

Average group .72"

The weather was crappy. On and off light rain and shifting winds so I'm very pleased with the first outing. Took the last two rounds in the box a put two good center mass hits on steel at 500 yards.

As an aside, I took the action out of the stock to adjust the accutrigger and was more impressed than I thought I'd be with the aluminium bedding block in the accustock. I'm definitely not in a hurry to replace the stock with a higher end piece or chassis system.

$500 well spent!
    Nice yours shot better then mine with the ELDs. Did you tune the action screws or just check em for tight and start slinging lead. Mine didn't close up until I tuned the screw. I'm tempted to get one in .308 to go along with the 6.5 with the rebate.

BTW what glass did you go with for it? And did you have any issues with the 10 rd mag locking in and feeding correctly?

Basic Member
    I mounted the scope and then forgot I didn't adjust the trigger. I was using the same torque driver and adjusted in 5lb increments until the action screws came loose which was between 45-50 " lbs. Retorqued them back to 50 and went and shot.

Shooting was off a bipod and rear bag.

shaggy151
    The $75 rebate does apply on the FCP-SR in 6.5. I've already mailed mine in. My only complaint is with the extractor. I've located an improved aftermarket one for $20. Other than that I don't think you'll find a better out of the box rifle at that price point. Mine really likes the Hornady 140 ELD Match.

Quote Originally Posted by NicfromAlabama View Post
    I've had my eyes on it too, as I have been toying with the idea of trying Creedmoor. I don't have any experiences with the 6.5 Creedmoor, but I have the .308 version that came in the HS Precision stock. I have been pleased with it. This is basically the same rifle with different stock and different caliber. I have no experience with the Accustock. Savage has a $75 rebate right now, which websites are claiming this model is eligible.

Basic Member
    I've seen some other folks with extractor issues but fortunately mine has been so far so good. I picked up a box of 147gr ELD Match to compare to the 140gr and based on that will start hand load development

Wheelgunluvr
    Awesome thread guys and great info. I'm a new guy here and just put on Layaway at buds gun shop a Savage 10 fcp-sr in 6.5 creedmoor with 24" barrel. I should get it soon and really look forward to some long distance shooting and sharing some info. I do plan on doing my own loads. And will be asking some questions about that in the future ad this is my first rifle in 6.5 creedmoor.

cs700
    FWIW I took delivery of my Model 10 FCP-SR 6.5 Creedmoor Friday. Took it to range that afternoon to sight in scope. I did pull action out of stock to adjust trigger then re-torqued at 40" lbs. After getting on paper at 100 yards I tried some Winchester 140gr factory ammo. After 1st shot readjusted scope then fire 4 more shots. Bipod with rear bag. More than happy with this rifle right out of the box.

Basic Member
    Nice shooting and good to know the results have been consistently very good for these rifles.

shaggy151
    Well,... had the chance to go back to the range again and try it out. Accuracy was great like last time but it still failed to eject the majority of cartridges. I'm very disappointed. Not 100% sure what i'll do. I'm even considering getting rid of the rifle and going with something else.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy151 View Post
    it still failed to eject the majority of cartridges.
    Do you mean the extractor will pull the shell out of the chamber, but it doesn't "eject" the shell? or is it just not pulling the shell out of the chamber?

I've had problems with one of my rifles not ejecting the shell. It kind of flips it backwards, but leaves it setting in the action. I ordered a replacement detent ball and extractor and replaced the original components and it ejects perfectly now.

I've heard that the detent balls that come stock, are undersized which is part of the issue with Savages having poor or weak ejection.

shaggy151
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    Do you mean the extractor will pull the shell out of the chamber, but it doesn't "eject" the shell? or is it just not pulling the shell out of the chamber?

I've had problems with one of my rifles not ejecting the shell. It kind of flips it backwards, but leaves it setting in the action. I ordered a replacement detent ball and extractor and replaced the original components and it ejects perfectly now.

I've heard that the detent balls that come stock, are undersized which is part of the issue with Savages having poor or weak ejection.

Yep,.... that's exactly what's happening. It will pull the shell out of the chamber but it just releases it on top of the top shell in the magazine and don't eject it. I'm ordering one of the Improved extractor kits from sharp shooting supply. Hopefully that will correct the issue.

Shaggy,

that'll get it fixed for you I'm darn near 100% sure.... Would suggest getting a couple of them when they are available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast