Thread: Article: Savage Model 24 Variations

Article: Savage Model 24 Variations

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Thanks! This helps de-mystify this model and all it's variations! How about available calibers in the early 24 series (prior to 24V), were they all 22LR/20ga?

I just acquired what i can now identify to be a 24f Predator in 22LR/12 gauge with variable choke (4 chokes). I have found no mention of a 22lr/12 anywhere on the net l, including this article. Anyone else have one? Your opinion of the gun?

Thanks, Good info

I Have a 24F Predator in 30/30 over 410. The gun was a Christmas gift from Ron Coburn to my son Kyle. The factory sent it in 410 even though the serial number says 12 gauge. My son had both 20 and 12 gauge Remington 1100's he much prefered over the single shoot 410. I should have sent it back to the factory to have it changed to 12 gauge but forgot about it. My son became a Airborne Army RANGER who was KIA in 08. Recently I looked at the 24 that had not been touched, or everfired. It looks like the 410 attachment can be removed and the barrel is set up for a 12 gauge. Can anyone clarify this process with the 24F 30/30 OVER 410? Jack

Savage used to make what they called the Four-Tenner's which were .410 insert adapters that would fit inside of 12ga or 20ga barrels, but those hadn't been offered since I think the 1970's. Briley Choke Tubes still offers something similar and I would imagine that's where Ron would have gotten it from during his tenure at Savage. I'm not personally familiar with either option so I couldn't say how to remove it, but maybe you can take this info and do a little digging online to find pic's to compare to what you have and maybe find some instructions.

Here's a video on the Savage Four-Tenner's.

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Any idea on date of manufacture for a Mod 24C Series S Ser # E012550 ?

I just picked up a Savage 24V-A in .30-30 over 20 gauge, I plan on using that one next season, there's a place I hunt where every time I deer hunt, I often see lots of squirrels and during the fall, turkey season happens to be open the same time deer opens and I've seen plenty of them while deer hunting.
    My Grandfather had a pair of these, a Stevens .22/.410 with the tenite stock and then a Savage 24 (not sure the variation) that was a .22 Magnum over a 20 gauge and he said that .22 Magnum was the most accurate one he ever owned. A neat variation is the Model 240 Stevens which was the .410 over a .410 with full chokes but they still had the rifle sights of the .22/.410.

Savage 24V configuration question

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Savage used to make what they called the Four-Tenner's which were .410 insert adapters that would fit inside of 12ga or 20ga barrels, but those hadn't been offered since I think the 1970's. Briley Choke Tubes still offers something similar and I would imagine that's where Ron would have gotten it from during his tenure at Savage. I'm not personally familiar with either option so I couldn't say how to remove it, but maybe you can take this info and do a little digging online to find pic's to compare to what you have and maybe find some instructions.

Here's a video on the Savage Four-Tenner's.

Hello everyone. Long term 'reader' first time poster.

Has anyone ever seen a Savage 24 with a case hardened receiver WITH the fox/grouse scenes?

I never saw one like this prior to last weekend and was in aww of it's beauty. The price was a bit strong, but am rethinking things and am reconsidering...

Would love to hear others thoughts on this. Is this a unicorn? A sought after collector?

thank you all
    PSUklinger