Thread: Almost ready to pull the triger on my first Savage

buffalojim

Almost ready to pull the triger on my first Savage

Howdy folks. Been hunting whitetails almost 30 years and looking in to my first bolt action. Started with shotguns for years because that's all that was allowed. Then went to a lever action 30-30 which I still use and love today. Anyways, looking for something with a little more reach and not to punishing. Read quite a bit about Savage and seems to be a good way to go. Been looking at a 11 fcns in 7mm-08. Have a Leupold VX1 3-9 with Burris signature zee {med.} rings sitting on a shelf collecting dust. Seems like a good deer rifle setup. Only thing I'm not sure of is the base. And a good place to by a spare mag. Any advice you folks could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Spare mags at Cabela's, or Savage arms (directly). And I think a standard 1 or 2 piece Weaver base would work with your rings...

Basic Member
    Possibly take a look at the Savage 6.5 Creedmoor. Savage has a good reputation for out of box accuracy, and the 6.5 will easily reach out to extended ranges. And you can always get a Savage 308. Both fantastic rifles. Good luck

I have 7mm08 Savage, a couple 243win's, a couple 308win's and a couple 300winmags hunting rifles and I don't feel any less recoil from the 7mm08 than from a 308win.
    308win has a crapload of different Factory ammo while the 7mm08 has very little.

308win has more energy and trajectory is just about the same as the 7-08. The only way the 7mm08 can trump the 308 is with Match projectiles which are not for hunting anyways.

I handload for all my rifles and still have not found 1 legitimate reason why the 7mm08 is better than the 308win. Except for being different.

Banned
    Savage is a good choice.

I am not keen on magazines types. I know I am old fashioned, but its something that can come loose or be lost.

Its not like we are going to be attacked by rabid deer and need quick reloads.

I like a blind magazine.

I think caliber wise the 7mm 08 is as good as anything, deer aren't all that tough. My dad hunted with a 30-06 but that is what he had, we also had to be aware that there could be a Brown bear around so it was better as a backup for that issue which most don't have.

Mostly its a matter of range. 6.5s are fine, but wasted unless you are going to be shooting 400+ yards.

Quote Originally Posted by buffalojim View Post
    Only thing I'm not sure of is the base. And a good place to by a spare mag...
    I like a one-piece railed base... It makes shifting the scope forward/backward a lot easier, and there's less anxiety about mis-aligning things.

I bought spare magazines on eBay.

Basic Member
    My savage 10 .308 kicks a lot less than my 110 .270 even with heavier bullets.. just a thought, and lots of different combinations to try..

Quote Originally Posted by Zero333 View Post
    I have 7mm08 Savage, a couple 243win's, a couple 308win's and a couple 300winmags hunting rifles and I don't feel any less recoil from the 7mm08 than from a 308win.
    308win has a crapload of different Factory ammo while the 7mm08 has very little.

308win has more energy and trajectory is just about the same as the 7-08. The only way the 7mm08 can trump the 308 is with Match projectiles which are not for hunting anyways.

I handload for all my rifles and still have not found 1 legitimate reason why the 7mm08 is better than the 308win. Except for being different.
    errr, what?