Thread: Axis base, ring, and scope combination?

Axis base, ring, and scope combination?

I have looked and can't find if my desired combination would work. Has anyone run a Warne Maxima steel 2 piece base with Burris Signature Zee rings with a Vortex Crossfire ii scope? The scope is a 6-18x 44, 1 inch. I am curious about the ring height and if you had a problem with the bolt hitting the bell. I am looking at the med height rings. Rifle is a 223. I don't mind switching the base to maybe the Weaver 2pc base, but I don't care for the looks of the 1 piece. I
    Please let me know if you have any ideas.
    Thank you

Let me start by saying I don't know, but my usual choice for scopes of that size on my Axises is to put the center of the scope tube about an inch above the base.

Thank you for your response. That sounds like it might be the taller rings.

Basic Member
    I recently bought a new set of 30 mm rings for mine,and most medium rings were listed as putting the center of the optic 1 inch high off the base..They had a few that were listed as .9 inch,and 1.1 inch,just to be safe I ordered the 1.1",but after mounting them and my scope I realize I could have used the 1",or the .9" either one..

My Savage Axis has the Redfield Battlezone 6-18x44 on it and I have the basic 2 piece Weaver mounts with the highest Weaver Mounts I could find. I had to file off part of my bolt handle as it was hitting the ocular bell when I would cycle it.

It only caused a little cosmetic damage, but nothing as far as function.

Basic Member
    For what is worth, here is a picture of my .223 Axis with a Leupold 4.5-14X40 scope using Burris Signature Zee medium rings. I am using a one piece Weaver base. I know you said you do not care for the looks of the one piece base, but it greatly aids in mounting flexibility. The long action receiver of the Axis rifles does not allow you to mount the scope closer to your eye compared to a rifle with a short action receiver. The bell of the scope will start to touch the scope base. Of course higher rings can help, but I also want my rings as low as possible.

Thank you to all. I will go to the Weaver base if I have to. (I know, it's not a beauty pageant) I ordered everything and it is on the way. I'm just going to have to see what works.
    Nic, that is one sweet pic. On your bipod, did you strengthen your stock before you installed the bipod?
    Thank you again everybody.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by llbts1 View Post
    Nic, that is one sweet pic. On your bipod, did you strengthen your stock before you installed the bipod?
    Thanks. I think that is an old pic and I had not done much to the rifle, but to answer your question, yes. I cut out the ice tray looking sections in the front of the stock and used JB Weld epoxy to fill in the void. I read to coat the plastic with superglue first, which will allow the epoxy to permanently adhere to the plastic. I did that not knowing if it would help or not. Some say over time the epoxy will eventually break free of the plastic. I will deal with that when and if the time comes. I had to do a tiny bit of sanding to make sure the barrel channel was not touching the barrel. I finally added a Rifle Basix trigger. It shoots pretty good. I thought I had a picture of the epoxy filled stock on Photobucket, but I do not. I have a picture of it somewhere. I did see a couple of pictures of targets that I shot using Sierra 65 grain gameking bullets. I think I had just started to reload at the time. The groups were pretty good and would have been very nice except for the pesky flyer I tend to have on every group I ever shoot. The targets says 100 yards, but it was about 105. I bought a range finder later and had guesstimated the distance I had been shooting.

BurkeW80
    I had a 2 piece base on mine, but recently traded for a NIB Bushnell Trophy XLT 4x12x40 scope to replace the cheap scope that was on it. The tube on the Bushnell was too short for the bases I had. So even though I don't not like the looks of the one piece Weaver either, I went with it. I'm not sure what brand rings I have, but they are mediums. Everything went together great and I should get it to the range next weekend to sight it in.

Well, in my infinite wisdom, I ordered the Warne Maxima weaver base, Burris Signature Zee rings in medium height for my Vortex Crossfire II scope 6x18x44.
    It doesn't work. The bolt came in contact with the scope (barely).
    I have now ordered the Signature high rings. I am hoping this helps.
    I spoke with a friend and he suggested a taller base. Any ideas on this? Most of the bases look the same height. I have been looking at 2 piece bases.
    Thank you for any suggestions

You either have to put a 20 MOA rail on it or you have to buy X-High rings... Even with my X-High weaver rings (and 2 piece standard base) my bolt handle still rubs on my ocular lens... and I actually filed part of it off so it would clear.

I got the high rings in today. I now have approximately 3/8-1/2 inch clearance. That will just have to work.
    Thanks for all the tips and comments.