Thread: Axis barrel swapping repeatedly

Axis barrel swapping repeatedly

Hi guys,

so, I had another question for anyone who may do this frequently....

I just ordered a new 260 rem match barrel from NSS. I will be taking the 270 sporter barrel off and replacing it with the 260 rem (Criterion). My son has an axis prairie dogging rifle in 22-250.... He's gotten to the point he may want to do some deer hunting and I'm wondering if I can just do a barrel swap back and forth on his rifle from 22-250 to 270 and then back again depending on which "season" we are in.

Anybody got any thoughts on how often this can be done? will I wind up messing up action or barrel threads from swapping barrels out repeatedly?

Thanks as always,

SRS

Basic Member
    I can't speak to your budget but figure you would be much better off getting a donor rifle/action and putting your barrel on it to stay-you could always swap scopes from rifle to rifle when seasons change

Basic Member
    Not counting AR-15s and 10-22s, I have not done any barrel changes yet. But, that sounds like a bunch of hassle for little return. I agree with Racer. I think there are some better options. I would at least find another receiver for each barrel. You can use quick detach mounts to swap the scope if you want to.

I would hate to mess with headspace and all the other tweaks over and over again just to have a rifle shoot at its best. You will have to shoot extra ammo too. In the end, I think you will find it is easier to just have separate rifles, scope and all.

Donor actions....? I wish it were that easy up here. I spent the last year, and then some, just looking for a donor action for my build (although it had to be lefty). Looked in every gun shop within 100 miles and nothing.... I wound up having to buy a brand new 11/111 trophy hunter package just to get the action off it.... Now for a righty, it may be a little easier.

Thanks for the input ya'll... I think you're right though about the headache of swapping back and forth... I'll just try to sell the barrel at the next local gun show and see if I can make another $80 or so back on my action.

Grandpa has an old 270 Win that my boy could borrow if he ever needs too... It's just been drawing dust in the safe for about 15 years.

Basic Member
    I think you could find a new rifle and part it out and come out OK. I used to do that with 10-22s. I would buy a 10-22 for just the receiver and sell off the rest. I often made enough to pay for the entire rifle, or more. I don't know how well that would work with a Savage. I agree with you on finding a used beater rifle. Around here, everyone wants new price and then some. Right now, some models are selling (after rebate) for around $400. Sell of the barrel and stock, and you won't be out much.

Swapping barrels after getting tooled up is no problem at all especially if you stick with the same bolt head. If your worried about head spacing get go and no go gauges to eliminate the guess work. Most of the axis builds I've done the threads are a little tight with all of the hidden blast media in the threads. After the 4th swap its usually all gone and everything is smooth. That being said after I have a proven shooter it almost always stays assembled until I get bored with it. As far as the 22-250 to 270 swap you would need an axis long action trigger guard and mag or single feed it. Check classifieds there are usually axis parts listed.

Basic Member
    Since all Axis rifles are long action, the swap will work. However, the .22-250 comes with a short action mag and trigger guard. He would need a long action mag and trigger guard for it to work, unless he would be satisfied with a single shot .270. I would not feel limited with a .22-250 as deer rifle with proper bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by ninner View Post
    As far as the 22-250 to 270 swap you would need an axis long action trigger guard and mag or single feed it.
    Ahh rat turds.... I forgot about that.... That's why I originally wanted to do my build off a .243, but then changed my mind and went with a long action so I had plenty of space for shooting the long pills in the 260. no worries, as I said before, he can borrow grandpa's 270 if he needs to.