Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long Range "Top Shot" thread

LongRange

a golf ball at 1000yds is WAY outta my league!!

but heres a few from today...
    CZ455 trainer in the manners T4 stock
    timney trigger
    athlon argos 6-24X50BTR mil/mil which im adjusting to
    DIP pic rail
    M10 rings
    Eley Edge ammo

this is the 125yd stand i couldnt see the targets so i shot the top rail on the stand...

the flat piece where it group is is 2.5" and i swear thats 10 shots in that group...again 125yds...

150yds...6 shots on the center target and 4 on the left...

2 10 shot groups at 175yds...

200yds...i ran outta elevation just past 175 so i was holding 1.6mils and trying to hold a half mil off the left edge...first round bottom right edge then 9 just above that...need to work on my holds...

Long Range "Top Shot" thread

Its Not the Violence that sets Men apart...
    Its the Distance They are Willing to travel!

LongRange
    oh it is...like i was telling you this rifle will let you know when your doing something different or wrong....it will shoot 1 hole 10 shot groups at 25yds all day long.

Basic Member
    Nice work LR. Sending vids shortly

Long Range "Top Shot" thread

Its Not the Violence that sets Men apart...
    Its the Distance They are Willing to travel!

LongRange
    18 total but I had to come up 2 mils or so to zero on a flat base...I'm 7.8 at 200yds and only go to 6.4 before it bottoms out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Bump for more participants

Basic Member
    I have been shooting F-Class matches for a few months now and I have developed an interest in long range shooting. We shoot both Palma and 1000 yard matches. When shooting in competition, someone is pulling and marking our targets, so we get good feedback on our shots. We also shoot on Saturdays where we use gongs and mostly shoot from 800 yards. When shooting the gongs, someone will be on the firing line with us, giving feedback.

Since this thread is about our experiences and equipment used for these long distance shots, I think we should give note of the spotting scope, and maybe the spotter that assisted. I know that when I spotted for another shooter, I did not see all the shots (impacts) so I felt like I had let the shooter down.

Anyway, I hope this thread keeps going and I'll post a photo or two myself soon.

Richard

Great job all you guys,
    I really like this thread, been meaning to post for a while but I've been lazy uploading pics....
    Here's my 1st 1000 yd hits (2)

Mine are the bottom 2 hits. The center mass is DrThunder's 300 WM Maxis.
    Savage 110 (old short action)
    McGowen 1/8 twist 6BR
    105gr Amax.
    That was from last year's Savage Shooter shoot @ Rockcastle Center in KY. Rosco spotted both of those hits. The wind was RIDICULOUS!
    Here's a pic of my rig

For a kill,
    This is my farthest to date (big game)

Big doe @ 421yds with my 7mag
    It's a Savage 110, with a take-off factory barrel I bought here. 162gr SST @ 2943.
    She went about 50yds to edge of the creek and piled up. She was out in the middle of an open field. I got it on video but haven't took time to edit and post it yet. I don't have good pic of the rifle.

For a varmint kill, I scored my longest kill @ 430yds on a prairie dog this past summer in Wyoming. Used the above 6br with 87gr Vmax. Don't have pics, but got it video that I have yet to edit and post....man I really need to get on that lol.
    Here's a video I posted last summer of some shooting I did. My longest milk jug kill is at the end, with a few other shots before that.
    https://youtu.be/DklKaMcS01U
    I really like this thread and hope it continues to be updated
    Scooter
    Last edited by scooterf79; 03-24-2017 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Added a link

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=rckendall;402025]

Since this thread is about our experiences and equipment used for these long distance shots, I think we should give note of the spotting scope, and maybe the spotter that assisted. I know that when I spotted for another shooter, I did not see all the shots (impacts) so I felt like I had let the shooter down.

Anyway, I hope this thread keeps going and I'll post a photo or two myself soon.

Well, you seem to have recognized early on what it takes for success to take place when shooting long range.
    That being the assistance of not only a capable spotter, but one also having very good equiptment.
    And the more distant the shot, the more important that becomes.
    Even the worlds best known shooters would acknowledge the absolute importance of knowing where their shots are hitting.
    A guy in a photo standing next to a target and holding a gun, is really no different than a guy in a photo standing next to a big fish.
    It says nothing about how it all came to be, other than to (allude) to the capability of the participant.
    Now if thats most important thing, and that it happened, or maybe even sorta happened, then that's fine, but there is also nothing to be learned by that.
    I would challenge you to cover one eye while just doing the normal things we all do for even one hour.
    Then remove the cover to appreciate what you missed.
    When using a spotter, regardless of the quality and cost, you are depriving yourself of the type of vision we were gifted with.
    Try that test while using your best very expensive binoculars also.
    If you think your very expensive spotting scope is the ultimate, then sit down behind two just pretty good spotters joined together, and see what you've been missing.
    Now if you cant see (all the hits), while simply shooting for fun, how then can you be sure you saw them while shooting at a live animal?
    Do the test, then think about it before just dismissing what ive said.
    Want some names of a few of the countrys best and well known long range gun builders for their opinion on this?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rckendall View Post
    I have been shooting F-Class matches for a few months now and I have developed an interest in long range shooting. We shoot both Palma and 1000 yard matches. When shooting in competition, someone is pulling and marking our targets, so we get good feedback on our shots. We also shoot on Saturdays where we use gongs and mostly shoot from 800 yards. When shooting the gongs, someone will be on the firing line with us, giving feedback.

Richard
    My spotting scope (the one shown in the pic at beginning of thread) is a Burris Landmark 20-60 X 80. When I shot 1,792 I was self spotting. Shoot/Look through Spotting Scope/Spot the Shot.

Most times I either have a friend with which Works well depending on there experience. Or I attach my IPhone behind this Burris Scope and record my shots. Hit or miss I can play back and see it (generally)

Posting the spotting scope or whether you had a spotter with is great. Let's just keep this short and to the point. As in what I have above. This information tends to start lengthy battles between people on here about ethics and experience. That's fine and all but this thread is about personal achievements and being proud of what you've accomplished. I'm just throwing this out there because several good threads have been destroyed by this type of arguing and I don't want to see that happen here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12