Thread: Savage 99 info

Savage 99 info

Just joined the site and am a first time Savage owner. I just picked up a 99 in 308 win at a local gun show. In trying to research the gun and the serial number/date of manufacture, I became a little confused so maybe someone can help me out here. It looks to be a newer gun probably from the '80's or 90's. It is a 99E series A serial # E141128. Everything I have read about the 99E is that it was an economy model with a plain stock and has no shell counter. Mine has what looks to be a factory monte carlo beautiful fancy walnut stock with a cheek rest and forearm with pressed checkering and it has a shell counter. I was made in Westfield, Mass. The serial number doesn't come up anywhere either as most seem to have an additional digit. Also, it has no boss code. Maybe very good records weren't kept on the newer 99's, I don't know. Can someone educate me on this model and possibly a manufacturing date? I really like the gun and will probably look for another one in the future, maybe in 243.

Basic Member
    Sounds like you have a model DL (earlier versions had "99M" stamped on the forwar receiver ring). Odd that yours has the round counter window in the receiver. It sounds like a nice one!
    Jeff518

Basic Member
    DL. Made from 1960-1973. After 1965 they had the pressed in checkering, so that narrows it down.

I have been all over this gun and there are no other numbers. It is getting worn away but the lever has antique bluing. It has a few dings and scratches but is in overall great condition. Here are a few pics.

I am going to jewel the bolt this weekend. I just picked up a 2-7x32 Nikon scope for it. I think this will end up being one of my favorites.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

It was made in May of 1983.

It's an E all right, they only made the C's and the E's that year. Someone has restocked it with some custom wood.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    The pictures help. I'll agree it's an E. But, that looks like a brass round counter, which was used until 1981, after that they were steel. That flared grip is unusual! It, to me, looks factory, because of the rubber butt plate and the impressed checkering. Don't know any custom stock makers that would checker a stock like that on purpose! I'm sure there are lots of undocumented variations.
    The other thing I noticed is the fore arm is wrong for an E. It should have a grooved fore arm, according to my reference book. But, when I look up 99E on line, it shows picture of a plain fore arm, with out a Schnabel.
    Now I'm confused!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    I'll agree it's an E. But, that looks like a brass round counter, which was used until 1981, after that they were steel. That flared grip is unusual! It, to me, looks factory, because of the rubber butt plate and the impressed checkering. Don't know any custom stock makers that would checker a stock like that on purpose! I'm sure there are lots of undocumented variations.
    Now I'm confused!
    The rotary magazine/counter is made of aluminum (if that means anything). The butt plate is walnut and looks to not be original. It could be restocked but the pressed checkering sure does look factory. Maybe it was some kind of custom shop gun or special order.

Basic Member
    That clears a few things up! Couldn't tell it was a wood but plate. Like I said, there were a lot of undocumented features!

That wood is NOT factory, maybe Fajen but not Savage. Savage never flared a grip like that and the basket weave checkering isn't Savage either.

Only the first year run of E's had a schnabel tipped forearm, left over EG forearms that weren't checkered.

Looks like they did a real nice job fitting the butt, not so tight on the forearm though.
    Savage- "never say never".

Beauty.......what ever it is......
    Jim3