Thread: Need opinions! to hot of load?

Basic Member

Need opinions! to hot of load?

I am shooting a savage F class gun in 6mm br, I found a load on 6mm BR website I wanted to try was listed by one of the world record shooters (forgot his name) 30gr varget with 107 SMK .005 or .010 out of lands he said it would run 2850 he was right got 2854 out of it and good groups at 600 yards 3.1 inch but raiseing bolt handle after fireing was really tight to eject case, what do you think , to hot for my factory gun?

lostart

Re: Need opinions! to hot of load?

That's an indication of pressure but if you could post pics of the casings (headstamp and primers) that will tell the whole story.

Basic Member

the cases are lapua 2nd loading I shot some at 28.1 grains and some at 30 the primers punch is no deeper and i see no difference in measureing any of the cases, just took a couple pics i have never tried to post pics but will try in a minute thanks for your info

Basic Member

[img][/img]

http://s732.photobucket.com/albums/w...1947/6mm%20br/ once i clicked insert image didnt know what to do from there tried paste no luck so here is photo bucket

lostart

They don't look to bad to me. I think that I see a faint ejector mark on one of them. I would back off a grain and work back up in .1 or .2 increments and see if that helps.

Basic Member

thanks that is what im going to do, i have a match tomorrow so going to load now at 29 later next wk i can fool around to get the most out of it , thanks again

gotcha

Hi ya' Frank, Did you measure web of case before and after firing? Are the cases really sharp @ the shouder body junction? Or rounded? If you rechamber the twice fired case is it difficult? Is the chamber dirty? Are you able to check head-space of the case and compare to unfired case? Are the primers beginning to spread out? Is the chamber rough?( Are there striations around the circumference of the twice fired case?) Is there a noticable bulge in the case just above the web? Just trying to go through the "check list" here. Is the load too hot or is it something else. Is the diameter of the body on the case uniform? All indications are the load is too hot for your gun.

Basic Member

gotcha that a heck of a check list, i have measure alot of different areas and do notice anything unusual compared to the once fired i have left, I am going to get back into your list next wk, for now going with there to hot next wk i will dig deaper, just shot out in back yard i have a 100 yard range there loaded 29.1 no problem smooth so goinng to go with that for match tomorrow, thanks for the ck list

gotcha

Frank, good luck @ match! I'll be pullin' for ya'. By the way, can I come over and shoot in your back yard too?

Basic Member

GOCTHA, sure come over, I did'nt make the match had some issues last night did'nt get any sleep, boy I really wanted to go, well they have a national match 3 day event in october I got to make that, gives plenty of time to practice.

How do you are can you sell personal items like a scope on this site?

BillPa

[img width=600 height=450]http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww321/fjmcm_1947/6mm%20br/DSC03295.jpg[/img]

Those ejector marks look kinda goofy. The best I can tell the marks appear to be wiped around the headstamp, not a single round spot generally seen from ejectors and a high pressure. The primers look completely normal,rounded cup edges, no craters, etc, etc.

Just for S&G, make sure that ejector is depressing to or slightly below the bolt face. Sometimes there is dirt, metal chips,burrs ,the remains of a half eaten sandwich and a stray eyeball or two in there preventing it from depressing and with the cartridge expansion drags on the cashhead giving the impression of a high pressure load opening the bolt

Maybe, maybe not, but from appearances and what I can see I'd give it a "look see" to be sure.

Bill

Basic Member

by i don't see anything

lostart

How do you are can you sell personal items like a scope on this site?
    Frank, You need to become a paid member ($12) a year to access the classifieds as well as some other goodies. Well worth it in my opinion. Always some good stuff there. The fee helps to ensure that the buyers and sellers are honest. You wont regret it.

Heck you never know, I might even buy it from you!

Basic Member

Great $12 we will do that, Thanks

Basic Member

After further investigation found out it was not to hot but problem was the brass, after just to reloads brass is tight going in and coming out, so I FLS those that are tight and that solves the problem I use a Forster Neck Bushing Bump die size .264 , maybe it would be better if I had just bushing die and not bump shoulder back , really don't know , your thoughts!

gotcha

frank, Do you have a way to measure the amount of shoulder set back you're getting and adjust die accordingly? Did your bump die lose it's setting? Why do some cases require f/l sizing and some don't ??? maybe I don't fully understand the problem :-\ Ideally you want .001" to.003" of set back. CONSISTENTLY. Suggest you f/l size all the brass. Annealing might be in order also. Especially if you feel it's requiring more leverage to seat bullets. Neck tension can play havoc with your accuracy. Dale