The new Savages have a completely flimsy bottom plate and they have removed the recoil lug from the E-receivers. The barrel mounts in fairly insubstantial and probably fairly soft wood. This isn't looking like a very durable set up for the long haul. I have some 1/8 inch steel and a Dremel tool and a bench grinder and am thinking of making my own new bottom plate but I have some questions. First, why not extend the bottom plate so that BOTH mounting screws go through the bottom plate? As it is, the one in front of the trigger is only anchored in wood which is probably fairly soft birch. Does anyone see any problem with doing it this way? The second question is whether I will need longer screws if I add the 1/8th inch plate? I can probably figure this out just using temporary washers but thought I might as well ask. Third question, will there be any problem in just leaving the magazine opening as a rectangle? That is not only a simpler cut but seems to me a way to use the Marlin 7 shot magazines in this rifle. Looks like the ones you can buy are rectangles anyway. What do you think?