Thread: axis barrel swap

Basic Member

axis barrel swap

thinking about get a aftermarket barrel for my axis 22-250.will most likely be a varmint contour. first time doing this so wondering what tools I would need and the best place to get them? also I'm from Newfoundland Canada so any Canadians with any help please post.thanks

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

The Axis uses the same barrel tools as the 10/110. You will need a barrel nut wrench, something to set the headspace, and either an action wrench or a barrel vise.

Barrel nut wrench
    These are available from a number of manufacturers. I don't know what's available in Canada, but as long as the wrench has square teeth, it should work on your Axis. I still use my cheap Wheeler wrench. If I known I was going to embark on so many Savage projects, I might have gone with a NSS wrench. It appears to be a bit heavier duty, better made, and the single-side version is cheaper!

Action wrench
    I prefer the action wrench over the barrel vise, because I can use it to control the barrel shank when torquing the barrel nut. Once again, mine is a Wheeler action wrench for Savage 10/110s, and it has worked for all of my many Axis projects.

Barrel vise
    Not needed if you go with action wrench, a barrel vise is another option. There are a number of commercial options plus some homebrew solutions that could work for you. As long as it can handle the torque of removing the factory barrel, it'll work for your project. Like I said, I prefer the action wrench, but the choice is yours.

Headspace
    I only ever get the GO gauge and use it to set the headspace. I then put a piece of Scotch tape on the base of the gauge and use it as a NO-GO gauge. Others may argue it's best to get the NO-GO gauge as well, but I haven't had any trouble using the tape method. I've heard of people using either live ammo or shell casings to set the headspace, which could work. I've only ever done it for my 450 Bushmaster, because I couldn't find a gauge in that chambering.

Banned
    I fully agree with the above.

Get the action wrench and the nut wrench from NSS. Both are the best made and the action wrench has some Savage features that are nice.

I would go with the long nut wrench, it gives you more leverage if you have a sticky nut on the first take off (after than you control it and not a problem)

The long nut wrench also has 1/2 inch cut out in it for a breaker bar as well as a Torque wrench (I used them as I have them, others don't and do fine)

The NSS actions wrench also some with instructions for barrel torque and the torque use on the screws hold the action, I like that.

Go gauge is fine, if you want a bit more lengths then a piece of tape on the back works just peachy.

If its a smooth nut (?) on your Axis you will need a nut, NSS has a nice one as well. Pipe wrench in most cases will remove the smooth.
    We had one report that it took stunning effort, there are steps to take if it is bad. Mostly not.

I am not convinced on the replacement lug for anything in the 1/2 MOA range. I have one, two others use the Savage lug.

Basic Member
    I'm looking at the er shaw barrel kits.are they of any quality?my barrel nut is not smooth so would I still have to get a new nut?

The notched nut is ideal for builders. You can remove and reuse it with a barrel nut wrench.

Shaw barrels seem to have a pretty good reputation, especially for the price. I can't speak to the quality of the tools, and you will still need an action wrench or barrel vise.

Basic Member
    ok.ill look into the barrel vise or action wrench

Banned
    Again get most of what you need from NSS.

Nothing wrong with the wrench you get from EA Shaw but its not got the features the NSS one has.

Those nuts can be buggers. You then need to have leverage or hammer on the tool. I don't like hammering on tools (ti works and does not do a lot of damage, just me)

EA Shaw barrel is like a Savage barrel. Decent for the most part, you may get a poor one. Not sure what their remedy is.

You buy a Shilen, XC, McGowan, Criterions you get their backing (assuming its an order and not a blank that a separate gun smith does not do the chambering and threads) .

Basic Member
    for info purposes only-not advertising

ebay canada is a good enough place to get the wheeler barrel nut wrench kit #123038

Wheeler 465-185 Barrel Vice with Oak Bushing -amazon Canada

brownells in the US is a good place to get remington 700 action wrench(works on savage) as well as a great place to get headspace gages
    Last edited by racer55; 01-30-2017 at 10:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Basic Member
    Go to canadiangunnutz.com and gunownersofcanada.ca and browse their equipment exchanges. Quite often you can find used barrels that are already in Canada. Search often as Savage parts that are reasonably priced sell very quickly.

On canadiangunnutz find one of the site sponsors, Mystic Precision, he shares quite a lot of knowledge on Savage rifles and is a good source for barrels (Shilen and McGowan) across the border. I have tried for years and cannot find Shaw barrels in Canada.

If I could make one suggestion, by the time you get a barrel it will not be cheap. Try getting a better trigger, get into reloading, and a better stock or even bedding the rifle action in the current stock. My first Savage was a model 11 with the crappy plastic stock. I installed a Timney trigger, bedded the action using JB weld, stiffened the forend with arrow shafts, and developed a load that worked well for my rifle. My groups shrunk considerably and I still had a reasonably light rifle. Be careful, once you starting tweaking and playing around with Savage rifles it will become an addiction and you will not be able to stop. I now own 4.

I bought my barrel wrench and vise from Brownell's years ago. If you want to support local businesses and not have to pay for shipping stuff across the border check out GSTprecision.ca (also a CGN sponsor). He is in Ontario and is coming out with some very interesting stuff.

Basic Member
    I would suggest JC Custom Barrels they are located in Quebec