Thread: Thoughts on a 20+ yr old 114 in 7 mag.

JRC 11/111

Thoughts on a 20+ yr old 114 in 7 mag.

I want a Savage in 7 mag to take to the local range (1500 yrds) to work on getting better at longer distances than maybe what the .308 can do and also test different loads since my buddy has a 7 mag w several variations of handload formulas available. I thought it would be fun to run some side by side comparison, if for no other reason than my amusement but we might actually make some cool discoveries. Anyway I was thinking 111 LRH or 116 with some nice features. In my search a guy offered for sale an old 114 no "accu" stuff. I have no idea of value or if it was a decent gun or not. It has a "sqaure" back to the bolt he was told that that added value for whatever reason by a gun shop. So please educate me if possible on this older firearm please.

Basic Member
    BWAAAAA adds value lol. Was it a gun shop or a USED CAR LOT. Square back is just the older series. I wouldn't go over $300 OTD preferably less.

JRC 11/111
    That's what I thought. I was like I can get one local that's 3 yrs old and never been shot for like $100-$200 more than what he was asking and it has all the new stuff on it. I wouldn't have paid more than $350 all inclusive of ffl transfers and shipping so I didn't even make an offer. Just said he'd refuse what I could feasibly give. His words were a gunshop told him $400-$450 and the "square back bolt" was a good thing from a value perspective.

Basic Member
    Flat back 7mm RMs are everywhere in pawnshops for some reason. Could be that they have pencil barrels and kick like mules with factory stocks. My last build a 7mm SAUM 27" Mcgowen barrel the action was a 7mm RM flat back. Most all of my builds start as 7mm RM flat backs. Mag bolt face and CHEAP. Most owners shoot less than a box of shells thru them. I have probably 10 take off barrels from them if ya need one. Half of them I have used as prybars or tomato stakes lol.

It's a great gun but $350 absolute max for me, l prefer them beat to hell and in the sub $200 range though since they usually get barrels and triggers anyway. Got to love that 3 screw trigger though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninner View Post
    It's a great gun but $350 absolute max for me, l prefer them beat to hell and in the sub $200 range though since they usually get barrels and triggers anyway. Got to love that 3 screw trigger though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Careful, not all square backs are 3 screw. Might add $99 to a build when you least expect it.

Banned
    And be aware that a 7mm is a barrel burner.

Noting wrong with that but 1500 - 2000 rounds and a new barrel needed. More so at long ranges you are talking about.

My brother had a tack driving 7mm, hunting, but he could put 3 on a dime at 100. One day it just went South.

That is unusual, nothing changed, but it got wild (by his standards). Ok hunter but no longer a target.