Thread: I smell a flaming pile of...

I smell a flaming pile of...

I came across this article tonight and it gave me a good laugh.

http://www.ammoland.com/2017/01/tc-c...omment-2117665

The T/C Compass bolt-action rifle named Guns & Ammo's 2016 Rifle of the Year? Really? According to the article, they chose the Compass because...

Speaking to the selection criteria for this award, Chris Agnes, Publisher of Guns & Ammo Magazine, explained, “A candidate for this award must demonstrate quality and reliability to a degree that meets or exceeds its design objective. The winner will have the greatest appeal to the masses. The T/C Compass rifle met all of the criteria.”
    SERIOUSLY?????

I guess the folks at Guns & Ammo missed this little recall notice back on September 16, 2016.

http://compassrecalltcarms.com/

Apparently the potential for accidental discharges falls under "demonstrating quality and reliability to a degree that meets or exceeds it's design objective."

This isn’t the first time the T/C has faced a major recall. In the summer of 2013, Thompson/Center Arms was forced to recall all bolt-action rifles in their Icon, Venture and Dimension lines. Those models were found to have defective safeties that would not engage properly.

The Compass rifle was introduced early in 2016 and promised a load of features with a $399 price point.

One just has to wonder, how much did it cost T/C in bribe money or advertising dollars to have the Compass "awarded" this title. LOL

I noticed for years that these "awards" are usually accompanied with lots of advertising by the winner of these awards. LOL

"reliability to a degree that meets or exceeds its design objective"
    So you could design it to be a piece of crap and if it is a piece of crap or slightly better it can win the award, Awesome.
    At the very least they could have embedded a compass in the stock.
    Last edited by ninner; 01-05-2017 at 09:57 AM. Reason: more observations

I bought a T/C in 308 .... great gun ... $400 was a great price for the features is comes with.

Not sure its "Gun of the Year" material

Im pissed off about the recall ... having to go thru this ...sending the gun back but I will survive

Instead of spending $1200-1500 on 1 gun .... I bought a Savage 10T and T/C for a few hundred less
    Thank You
    Wayne

Basic Member
    Well who ever said awards had to be deserved?

Quote Originally Posted by ninner View Post
    "reliability to a degree that meets or exceeds its design objective"
    So you could design it to be a piece of crap and if it is a piece of crap or slightly better it can win the award, Awesome.
    At the very least they could have embedded a compass in the stock.
    A Red Ryder BB Gun
    Thank You
    Wayne

Basic Member
    It's like the Oscars....the industry awarding the industry. $$$ has a lot to do with it. George Kelbly once told me, "Guns, barrels and bullets don't win matches, shooters win matches."
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    It's like the Oscars....the industry awarding the industry. $$$ has a lot to do with it. George Kelbly once told me, "Guns, barrels and bullets don't win matches, shooters win matches."
    Well I don't doubt George told you that, but I do doubt you totally agree with him. lol

I smell a flaming pile of...

Never held one , saw them at the local gander and was curious . I agree with other posters it depends who is buys advertising

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's safe to say we've all known these so-called awards have been based on advertising dollars for years, but at least in the past they usually tried to stick with products that at least somewhat warranted it. In this case however it's as if they've adopted the mainstream media's approach of no longer trying to hide their blatant bias and have chosen to lay it out there for all to see.

Basic Member
    On a similar note, the next time you read a JD Powers award for something, you have to realize that dollars talk.

Motor Trend come to mind...
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EFBell View Post
    Motor Trend come to mind...
    Forgot about this one. Now we're talking.

Basic Member
    I'm in the car business. This is so TRUE. Awards go to ad $$$$ AND "GIFTS" for automotive writers.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toddcdozer View Post
    I'm in the car business. This is so TRUE. Awards go to ad $$$$ AND "GIFTS" for automotive writers.
    And here I was about to pm you and ask if I could come to your ranch and help shoot some of those animals.
    Or at least shoot at a few. lol
    And as an added bonus id get to look thru some really good glasses for a change.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    And here I was about to pm you and ask if I could come to your ranch and help shoot some of those animals.
    Or at least shoot at a few. lol
    And as an added bonus id get to look thru some really good glasses for a change.
    No you can bring your tripod mounted stuff too. We just don't get out of the truck enough to use them and your face runs into the window on window mounts. My family still has a slug of land you are welcome to come whack some stuff on sometime. I didn't get the inheritance, I was the black sheep of the family so I actually have to work. SUCKS