Thread: What should I build?

Basic Member

What should I build?

Hey All,

I'm itching to build another rifle. I'm torn as to what caliber i should build.

I just got done building my .243 off of a 110 action.

Here what my safe has (Rifle wise)

.22LR
    .22 hornet
    25-06

So i'm really torn as to what I should build that would compliment what I currently have.

Looking for suggestions all around!

I don't see anything listed in the 30 cal range or 7mm.... My thought would be: you've got everything covered up to deer... The 30 cal, or 7mm would get the Elk, and Bear covered. Or go with a 338 Lapua and get everything covered up to elephant I think.

Or a 28 Nosler if you want a target/long range rig.....?

Basic Member
    So i thought about a 28 Nosler, but wasn't so sure i wanted an off-the-wall caliber.

I thought about 7mm mag, or a 338 EDGE.

if you hand load then a 28 Nosler is a good one I hear... but that 338 EDGE covers everything...

Basic Member
    Any thoughts on 7mm wsm?

I'm not familiar with that cartridge myself, but maybe someone else may have a thought on that one...?

schnyd112
    I would go 7 saum over 7 wsm. They are basically the same, 7wsm has a little more case capacity but the saum seems to be more efficient. Both will run right with a 7 mag with less powder and less recoil. If you reload, components are pretty available and you will get a little more from the saum. 7mm bullet selection Is awesome so I don't think you can go wrong with either.

if you do not reload, I am not sure of the factory offerings in either caliber. If you don't reload just go 7mag, It isn't going anywhere.

Basic Member
    I have a 7 SAUM built on a LA with a 27" Mcgowen barrel that runs 175 ELDX at 3150 1 gr under book max. Really versatile out to as far as most can see.
    I also just bought a 338 Lapua 112 Magnum. Impossible to build for what Savage is selling them for. The 1st factory gun and barrel I have shot in 30 yrs. Extremely well built. If you had thought of a 338, this is the critter. I have had more than 5 Edge barrels and am tired of trying to find brass and then it only lasting 5 loads. Get the stock Lapua and never look back. For $1000 you will never see anything better and you wont have to chase brass around like bigfoot.
    A Creed, 260 or other 6.5 would be a great addition or a 300 WM. That should cover the whole continent and then some.

Basic Member
    so part of my thought with this build - I need something that will cover elk and moose, etc etc.

Will the 7mm SAUM take care of that? or even more so, will the 7MM WSM take care of that?

Or should i be looking at another caliber with a little more knockdown force?

With the shortmags, can i use a 11/10 for those? Or should i stick to a LA?

My next hunting rifle will be a switchbarrel with a 6.5 SAUM and 300 WSM barrel. That will cover it all.

My next hunting rifle will be a switchbarrel with a 6.5 SAUM and 300 WSM barrel. That will cover it all.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idunham View Post
    so part of my thought with this build - I need something that will cover elk and moose, etc etc.

Will the 7mm SAUM take care of that? or even more so, will the 7MM WSM take care of that?

Or should i be looking at another caliber with a little more knockdown force?

With the shortmags, can i use a 11/10 for those? Or should i stick to a LA?
    WSM or built on short actions at the factory. Today Savage chambers the WSM on large shank barrels so I'm guessing it would be a good idea to use a large shank action weither it is long or short. Hopfuly that made some sense.

Basic Member
    I'll always be partial to the classic 7mm rem mag. I can easily get the components for it, factory ammunition is everywhere.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by olddav View Post
    WSM or built on short actions at the factory. Today Savage chambers the WSM on large shank barrels so I'm guessing it would be a good idea to use a large shank action weither it is long or short. Hopfuly that made some sense.
    If I but a 111trophy hunter in a 7mm mag, will that be a large shank or standard shank??

spaniel
    Any thoughts on 7mm wsm?
    It is a wonderful cartridge…but Winchester discontinued the brass. I'd only build one if I secured, in advance, enough brass to burn out the barrel. This is true to a lesser extent with all the WSMs and even more with the RSAUMs.

The Edge is a fine round (I'm building one) but IMHO unless you can shoot beyond 800 rounds there is no need, and you will need to brake it. Short of 1000 yards, a 300WM will fill the gap admirably and with less fuss and expense. And I wouldn't build an Edge on a Savage if you want a repeater…I researched it and went with a R700 pattern.

Part of this depends the ranges you want to shoot. A 7mm or 30cal magnum is wonderful for larger NA game if you shoot out to longer ranges. If you are in brushier areas or more restricted range, something in 338 or even 35cal can be very effective. I have a Savage chambered in a 35cal WSM wildcat that shoots about in the range of a 35 Whelen AI, but from a short action. Those 225gr ABs hit like hammers.

Basic Member
    If I but a 111trophy hunter in a 7mm mag, will that be a large shank or standard shank??
    Depends on its age. There is some very good info in the FAQ section that will assist you. It should arm you with enough info to spot the differance between the two.

WeldNFool
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    I don't see anything listed in the 30 cal range or 7mm.... My thought would be: you've got everything covered up to deer... The 30 cal, or 7mm would get the Elk, and Bear covered. Or go with a 338 Lapua and get everything covered up to elephant I think.

Or a 28 Nosler if you want a target/long range rig.....?
    "everything covered up to elephant" and engine blocks, light armor, great for killing AR500 steel targets at the range, excellent for hitting that wallet too!! Bang!! $6, Bang!! $6........Hitting a steel plate at the range at 300 yards and literally blowing it over, priceless! Always good for a few laughs.

Basic Member
    What is your hunting terrain like? Ranges?

338 Federal would be a good one for bigger critters and be a short carry package. Maybe go Heavy Sporter contour, 22".

Basic Member
    For Elk and moose the 338-06 would be an excellent choice. Both hard hitting and long range effective. I've got a 35 Whelen which is great for the big guys but the 338 ballisticly, is one of the best calibers out there with a good bullet selection.

Basic Member
    In case you want something really different and fun - how about a threaded 300blk for a suppressor later on? I recommend buying the suppressor first if you don't have one already because last I checked it's about a 9mo waiting period. You could buy one in 30cal and (assuming you get one rated for supersonic rifle) use it for any of your other rifles, too. The subsonic 300blk out of a bolt gun is ridiculously quiet. Go for a 16" barrel, you don't need any more length especially if you want to carry it around with the suppressor. When you're shopping for suppressors, keep an eye on the weight. The new titanium ones are incredibly light compared the Specwar762 I bought and I'm kicking myself for not taking a harder look at weight.

I giggle like a school girl when I plink steel at 200-300yrds and can actually see my 220gr round nose lobbed downrange with the trajectory of a mortar. You can see it plain as day when the sun is behind you. Mine is an 8.5" AR with a red dot but I've always thought a bolt would be really fun.