Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What scope for $1500 to $2000

What scope for $1500 to $2000

Its Not the Violence that sets Men apart...
    Its the Distance They are Willing to travel!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XL105 View Post
    I have heard of bang steel. Not sure they get to mile. But I added it to my 1 mile range post in range topic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I believe they do or at least they did. You could PM Dr Thunder, as I recall him being one here who went there and took the coarse.
    He did a complete review of his experience there on this site.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob01 View Post
    If you can shoot the 147 ELD-Ms and get them as fast as I am shooting them in my Creedmoor, 2825fps, then it will be 61.25 MOA to get you to 1600 yards at 60 degrees and sea level. It's 38.5 at 1250. Shooting the 140s at 2850fps you will need 69.3 MOA to 1600 and would be 41.8 MOA at 1250.
    You must be shooting with H4350.

Basic Member
    I have heard of bang steel. Not sure they get to mile. But I added it to my 1 mile range post in range topic

I know the Newberry's personally. The son Forest shoots matches with me in VA. They still go to a mile.

Basic Member
    1760 is a nice place to play. Much further and you have to start using the letters CT all the time.
    When I lived out west I probably shot 10k a yr at LR or ELR whatever you want to call it. Now only once a month and maybe 1k a year count.
    The only convenient way to play at those distances is with a scope that has a decent amount of adjustment AND a long range reticle having at least 30 MOA of hashes to play with. You can dial all the way to a mile but the tracking and hassle of it all are too much for me. Also makes it slow. With 30 MOA on the reticle you can engage from 1k to 1 mile from a 1K dial. Slam the dial back to 100 yd zero and engage from muzzle to 1.2k.
    Most of my shooting was with a NF and NP-R2 or R1 from a 3x15 to a 5.5x22. Also did some work with 6x24 and 8x32 but most of the time mirage will murder you long before you need more mag at 1 mile or even clarity for that matter. At 1 mile mirage is the killer, I can figure wind and on the plains its usually reasonably consistent unless you are in canyon land. Mirage however will kill any glass if you are trying to shoot a 8" turtle off of a log.
    If you try to dial shoot stuff at these extended ranges, you will find that corrections take TOO LONG and you have to come off the rifle etc. With a hashed or Christmas tree reticle I can have 2 in the air at the same time. If the wind call is scary, and you are thinking 8 MOA left, great run one at 7.75 and send another at 8.25 while the first one is getting there.
    Yeah you can dial on a static piece of steel but even then the ability to instantly correct is so important. A gust or lull may only last a few seconds.
    Any of the glass mentioned on this thread will play at 1 mile. If the conditions are right it doesn't take that much MAG or even CLARITY. That being said get all the clarity you can but at the price point mentioned everything is pretty clean.
    My main requirements for a ELR scope would be 20+ magnification(Done it with a 15 though), Clarity and a 30 MOA reticle minimum, preferably a Christmas tree. (If a tree clutters a scope up and you cant deal with that....how are you gonna deal with a 29 air temp with a 67 surface temp, different powder temp, spindrift, Coriolis, gusting wind, 10 FPS ES, a brown target in brown grass, and 19 other things?)

Hitting out to 800 or so is one thing, 1200 another and 1760 another. That being said look how well a 338 Edge did at the King of 2 mile this year.

Best of luck to the OP, a 300WM and a 215 or 230 can play out there. Burn 4 or 5 barrels off of it and it'll get easier.

LongRange

10k a year? You must not of had a job or anything else going on in your life because it equals out to about 27-28 rounds a day or right at 192 rounds per week or approximately 5.5 barrels per year if you were shooting magnums...I take that back...you had to of had a job,a huge sponsor or semi rich.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    10k a year? You must not of had a job or anything else going on in your life because it equals out to about 27-28 rounds a day or right at 192 rounds per week or approximately 5.5 barrels per year if you were shooting magnums...I take that back...you had to of had a job,a huge sponsor or semi rich.

Owned a car lot, motel and a guide business and some other stuff. Yeah I shot a lot. Kinda easy to do when you have 2 miles behind your house to bang away and 1500 yds behind work to bang away. I smoked about 5 to 10 barrels a yr. Brass was a lot cheaper then as was powder. 300gr SMKs were actually more than now. I had loading stuff at my car lot and at home so I loaded quite a bit. I did get a good deal on stuff as I bought a lot of stuff, spend $10k+ a yr and that will happen, I wrote it off mostly as cost on guiding ops. Lots of guys in that area shoot like that. When everywhere is a rifle range and there is absolutely NOTHING TO DO....well its generally cheaper to shoot than screw or drink.
    Kind of strange to me that its that uncommon to run 10k a yr. That's nothing compared to a CA or IPSC or SRBR guy. Nowadays PRS guy surely run heavier than that, lots of guys shot more than me. I knew guys who blew close to 10k a WEEK on PDs. Heck I still bang at least 100 a month, probably closer to 200 really.
    With the oilfield crash I had to get a real job and move back to civilization, it sucks.

10K a year is a decent amount, but not really that much for someone who practices/shoots competition. When I was younger, I was on a college small bore team, and we shot a minimum of 100 rounds a day, 6 days a week. That equates out to over 30k rounds a year, maybe a hare less with holidays... those of us who lived close to campus continued practice through summer break.

Basic Member

LOL I have burned 6-284 barrels to the ground in less than a week on turtles.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phranque View Post
    10K a year is a decent amount, but not really that much for someone who practices/shoots competition. When I was younger, I was on a college small bore team, and we shot a minimum of 100 rounds a day, 6 days a week. That equates out to over 30k rounds a year, maybe a hare less with holidays... those of us who lived close to campus continued practice through summer break.
    Its real easy to do especially if you can write it off as a business expense. I had days on turtles I would bang maybe 500+ a day and I shot rocks every day, every where.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/1...-and-reticles/

This will answer your question as to which optic.

Use the one that is used the most by PRS shooters and is in your price range. It doesn't get any simpler that that !

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/0...sults-summary/

Basic Member
    Kinda funny but I wasn't counting 223 from ARs in my amount shot. Didn't occur to me that I still bang 400+ at every steel shoot + big stuff. So yeah I probably STILL SHOOT 5k+ a yr and that's just shooting 1 or 2 days a month. 223 is like popcorn.:)

schnyd112
    Yeah he's killed a million deer, 1000 of them at a mile, at least. He has shot more at a mile than I have in my life, at any distance. His 4 year old shoots a 338 edge better than anyone on this board. He has no problem letting everybody know he is the baddest killer on the planet, threatening extinction on anything that breathes. The souls of the animals he has killed have granted him immortality.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by schnyd112 View Post
    Yeah he's killed a million deer, 1000 of them at a mile, at least. He has shot more at a mile than I have in my life, at any distance. His 4 year old shoots a 338 edge better than anyone on this board. He has no problem letting everybody know he is the baddest killer on the planet, threatening extinction on anything that breathes. The souls of the animals he has killed have granted him immortality.
    Actually about a million and 4after this yr. Slowing down in my old age. Kid was 8 or 9 also.:)

Basic Member
    And instead of acting like a jealous little kid , why don't we debate the actual mechanics of the subject instead of insinuating that someone either has or hasn't done something. Shooting LR isn't magic in todays day and age. The equipment and knowledge available has increased massively since the early 80s when I started with a Shepherd scope. Anyone can do this stuff if they have a place to shoot. Everyone where I am from shoots LR. Everything is LR. A wheat field is usually 1 mile across.
    Lets talk about what my recommendations were instead of being surprised someone actually shot 10 thousand whole rounds in a yr. WOW. Or that his kids first deer kills were with a 338. Big deal.
    So what would your recommendations be for a 1 mile capable combo....and don't go sneaking over to LRH and ask.:)

Basic Member
    Actually according to your posts on LRH I have shot more at 1 mile than you have your whole life. I can paste your MY FIRST RIFLE threads from 2015 if you wish.

schnyd112
    Bud I have been shooting since I was 8. I am 30 now and just was able to BUILD my first semi-custom rifle. Post all you want, bud, I know what I can do and I know when I run into a guy that likes to toot his own horn.

You have an opinion on everything and come across as a pompous asshat. Step away from the keyboard, go tally your rounds and burn barrels so you can come tell all of us commoners how you are gods gift to the sport.

Basic Member
    Bud I have been shooting since I was 8. I am 30 now and just was able to BUILD my first semi-custom rifle. Post all you want, bud, I know what I can do and I know when I run into a guy that likes to toot his own horn.

You have an opinion on everything and come across as a pompous asshat. Step away from the keyboard, go tally your rounds and burn barrels so you can come tell all of us commoners how you are gods gift to the sport.
    So I guess we aren't getting any insight into ELR glass then?

schnyd112
    Guess not

Basic Member
    I am not a gift to anything.
    This stuff is just MATH.
    And there are apps available now. There didn't used to be.
    We had to count fenceposts or use a Barr and Stroud or just wing it.
    I'm not tooting my horn, yeah I killed a slew of em. I figured I would be dead by 40 so I spent the first part of my life either hunting or fishing.
    Point is ANYONE can do this stuff nowadays. It's rocket science but you have a phone that has a computer many times more powerful than what sent men to the moon. Bullets are better.
    Glass is OMG BETTER.
    Barrels are better.
    Information is unbelievably better. We used to have to BUY BOOKS! WOW! Crazy stuff. And they were not cheap. I used to go to estate sales of guys who had books. More info on LRH than all the LR books ever written.
    Powders are giving us 200fps+ that we never had.
    Ohhh and almost forgot..........lasers. Yeah try LR without those, it was like Black Magic back then.
    Point is I aint shit. The technology and equipment IS. Take away my laser and glass and I am going back to a bow.
    Sorry if I come off as a pompous asshat I just want everyone to realize the advantages available nowadays and hopefully see fewer deer walking around with body parts hanging off of them or gutshot.
    Peace out and hope you draw a good tag in Nevada. Even pompous asshats generally wish other hunters well.

Basic Member
    BTW I formally apologize to the OP for the preceding lunacy but still counsel OP to consider a reticle with 30MOA+ and preferably windage as well. Hope your build goes well.

Its Not the Violence that sets Men apart...
    Its the Distance They are Willing to travel!

LongRange

Quote Originally Posted by Phranque View Post
    i shoot competitions...i shot 3 a month most of last year...i practice at a minimum of 4 days per month and i live so close to where i shoot it takes me longer to set up my targets than it does to drive to my spot and the most ive ever shot was 6k in a year...now im not saying todd didnt shoot 10k per year but i do know that 10k per year is a LOT of shooting!
    as you say you shot 30k a year but you were in school and im sure the school supplied all of the equipment so i could see that because if i had the time and the money i could easily shoot 30+k a year.

Quote Originally Posted by toddcdozer View Post
    LOL I have burned 6-284 barrels to the ground in less than a week on turtles.
    so right around 5600 rounds in a week? thats pretty impressive and you must be one hell of a shot with all that practice...and im not saying you havent done everything you claim but i will say i find it hard to believe because as i said above i shoot A LOT and have never come close to 10k rounds in a year through a bolt gun...or 2 bolt guns for that matter.

Lol lol lol. When a thread goes sideways it Goes!!! I'm just glad it wasn't me this time.

it happens when ppl post things that are hard to believe.

Jesus Christ, there are so many ****s on the internet it's almost too much. I quit every social media sight for this very reason. But the message boards are just as bad. If this was an isolated incident it would be one thing, but it seems about 8/10 posts I try and follow devolve into this. I just subscribed to this post for insight on scopes and it turns into a "my dick is bigger than yours" argument in 2 seconds flat. This stupid hillbilly redneck honor culture is what's destroying this country. Which by the way is the same stupid honor culture that's shared by blacks in the ghetto, and the Islamic jihadists, which I'm sure you hate. Kind of ironic that you share something so closely with the people you probably dislike the most. And to preempt your response about how there is no way you could be a redneck hillbilly "cause" of how much money you have, it's not about wealth. It about culture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iflyskyhigh View Post
    Jesus Christ, there are so many ****s on the internet it's almost too much. I quit every social media sight for this very reason. But the message boards are just as bad. If this was an isolated incident it would be one thing, but it seems about 8/10 posts I try and follow devolve into this. I just subscribed to this post for insight on scopes and it turns into a "my dick is bigger than yours" argument in 2 seconds flat. This stupid hillbilly redneck honor culture is what's destroying this country. Which by the way is the same stupid honor culture that's shared by blacks in the ghetto, and the Islamic jihadists, which I'm sure you hate. Kind of ironic that you share something so closely with the people you probably dislike the most. And to preempt your response about how there is no way you could be a redneck hillbilly "cause" of how much money you have, it's not about wealth. It about culture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Well at least on the internet bar room as opposed to a real bar room there's less real fights.
    Hey bud, if your not gonna to eat any of them peanuts, how bout slidin that bowl down this way. lol

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast