Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What scope for $1500 to $2000

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    i shoot competitions...i shot 3 a month most of last year...i practice at a minimum of 4 days per month and i live so close to where i shoot it takes me longer to set up my targets than it does to drive to my spot and the most ive ever shot was 6k in a year...now im not saying todd didnt shoot 10k per year but i do know that 10k per year is a LOT of shooting!
    as you say you shot 30k a year but you were in school and im sure the school supplied all of the equipment so i could see that because if i had the time and the money i could easily shoot 30+k a year.

so right around 5600 rounds in a week? thats pretty impressive and you must be one hell of a shot with all that practice...and im not saying you havent done everything you claim but i will say i find it hard to believe because as i said above i shoot A LOT and have never come close to 10k rounds in a year through a bolt gun...or 2 bolt guns for that matter.

it happens when ppl post things that are hard to believe.
    Not 6 separate 284 barrels, good lord. ONE BARREL chambered in 6-284. Not that hard to do with a 6-284 running fast on turtles, some 6-284 barrels burn in less than 700 rds lol.

Things get hard to believe because many of us live in a bubble. If its not common where we live, or who we hang with then it must be impossible.

I cant believe anything that goes on in NYC, Chicago or LA. All seems like a fairy tale or nightmare to me but hundreds of millions of Americans live like that.

If you want to comprehend shooting 10k a year, get a target rich environment such as a couple of 40 acre ponds full of turtles or a lot of prairie dogs. Prairie dog guys made me look like nothing. They would bang 10K shots in a week.

Stuff you hear on the web is often BS, If I had said I shot 10K and NEVER MISSED....uhhhh at what range sir?

Longrange I appreciate you skepticism AND not openly flipping a gasket like some of your close neighbors, but since proving or disproving how much I shot one year is 100% IMPOSSIBLE either way, I usually look at the meat of the recommendations or advice given and decide if the poster is full of crap or not. I am pretty sure that my post and opinion on the subject will be quite accurate and great advice for someone looking to get into ELR shooting.

Basic Member
    If good data on the subject is still needed look at the equipment list for the King of 2 Mile shoot. Everyone there was shooting a reticle + dialing + a base. Very hard not to use all 3 and play at ELR. Good luck to the OP.

LongRange
    gottcha...i miss understood...and as i said im not saying you didnt or dont...i know ppl(or have talked to ppl)that have never seen a real gun in their life so anything is possible but i do know what it takes to work 10-12 hours 5-6 days a week re-load and shoot 6000 rounds a year as well as the costs involved.

again im not calling anyone a liar im just saying i shoot a lot myself and its a part time job and more so if your shoot long distances and do it accurately.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    gottcha...i miss understood...and as i said im not saying you didnt or dont...i know ppl(or have talked to ppl)that have never seen a real gun in their life so anything is possible but i do know what it takes to work 10-12 hours 5-6 days a week re-load and shoot 6000 rounds a year as well as the costs involved.

again im not calling anyone a liar im just saying i shoot a lot myself and its a part time job and more so if your shoot long distances and do it accurately.
    I have dealt with the time issue in two different ways.
    Be self employed and work it into your day to day activities or even make it part of a business like I did (Write offs are nice)
    OR
    Work 9 months a yr and hunt/shoot 3.
    I've done it both ways and am currently sitting on my butt after working 3 yrs straight. About time to hit it again as the bank acct is getting kinda thin.
    Its easy to have money OR time. Its a lot harder to have BOTH.

What scope for $1500 to $2000

Its Not the Violence that sets Men apart...
    Its the Distance They are Willing to travel!

Basic Member
    Most small busineses have one thing in common. That being that most of them will end up failing.
    The ones that don't, also share one thing in common. That being that the owners are very good managers, and are also workaholics.
    And that's especially true in the car business.
    Ive had family in the car business for more than 50 years in what would be known as a very affluent area.

LongRange
    my point exactly buck!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Most small busineses have one thing in common. That being that most of them will end up failing.
    The ones that don't, also share one thing in common. That being that the owners are very good managers, and are also workaholics.
    And that's especially true in the car business.
    Ive had family in the car business for more than 50 years in what would be known as a very affluent area.
    Yeah I'm still paying the IRS and a bank or two for that one. Oh well it was fun while it lasted.

Basic Member
    You can write off anything you want if your in business. Don't get audited and you (might) get away with it at least with the IRS.
    Bankers are like a breed of cats, you are never a true friend of your banker. lol

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob01 View Post
    If you can shoot the 147 ELD-Ms and get them as fast as I am shooting them in my Creedmoor, 2825fps, then it will be 61.25 MOA to get you to 1600 yards at 60 degrees and sea level. It's 38.5 at 1250. Shooting the 140s at 2850fps you will need 69.3 MOA to 1600 and would be 41.8 MOA at 1250.
    Just received the Bushnell ET4305 scope today it has a total of 83 moa vertical adjustment. I also checked and with the windage set all the way 24 moa to the right or 24 moa to the left it still maintains 83 moa vertical adjustment. So that would be 41.5 moa elevation and with 20 moa extra with mounts I should have 61.5 moa before using the 6 moa with the mildots giving 67.5 on 30 power, 12 moa extra on 20 power 73.5 and of coarse 18 moa extra on 10 power.
    I will be using RL26 so I should be able to see a bit better than what you are getting, but we'll see.

Basic Member
    RL26 is a pretty slow powder. Hopefully you can get enough in the case. How long is your barrel? My velocities are from my 27" barrel. Haven't tried them in the 28" yet.

Basic Member
    RL26 is a pretty slow powder. Hopefully you can get enough in the case. How long is your barrel? My velocities are from my 27" barrel. Haven't tried them in the 28" yet.
    My barrel is a 26" X-Caliber, there are quite a few using RL26 in the 6.5 creedmoor and getting good vel and groups, there are many cartridges that will see an increase in vel at lower pressure from using it. It breaths new life into the 243 Win.

Basic Member
    Well good luck with it. Come back to this thread and let us know how it does with the 147s.

Basic Member
    Well good luck with it. Come back to this thread and let us know how it does with the 147s.
    I will.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234