Thread: Savage 170 35 rem

Savage 170 35 rem

So i think in my opinion... i just bought the holy grail of deer doggin thick brush gun . The guy selling it stated he shot it then took it home & disassembled/ cleaned it. Got back next year it wouldnt cycle. Said he assumes he put it together wrong. Gun looks in excellent shape. will be depending on yall in near future should any problems arise.

Cant wait to start slingin lead !

Basic Member
    Cool find!! Didn't know it was made in .35. I have bullets, brass and dies, just waiting for the right rifle!!

Basic Member
    I had one of these back in the day and it always had issues with feeding. It was a single shot only unfortunately and we took it to 3 smiths who couldn't fix it or get parts for it. There is one at a local pawnshop in mint shape if anyone is looking for one I could send contact info.

Had one in 30-30 and 35 Rem. The 30-30 had feeding issues and are well known for them because of the rimmed casing but I never had a problem with my 35 Rem.

You can use a Rem 760 mount on those guns, same hole spacing.

I might have some spare parts around if you run into trouble.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    Hey guys I have 2 of these myself, one was the 30-30 but I had it rebored to 375 Winchester my other is 35 remington
    why did I take my 30-30 up to the 375??? Well because it's legal to hunt with in Ohio now and I have 2 other 30-30's. I never had a problem with the 30-30 jamming on the reload, I think if your shown how to work these rifles you won't have a problem. The 375 really works slick with its straight case.
    Now I have noticed that the 35 if you're shooting hornadys leverevolution ammo if you baby it any at all the pointed bullets will catch some times on the reload. You need to work the pump on these rifles with swift intent, just like a shotgun, and they work fine. That's why the "B" models have a starter spring in the end of the magazine tube so when you fire the rifle it springs the pump back about 1/4".
    These are great rifles to hunt with, light easy to carry and comfortable to shoot but more than that..... accurate.
    SB

Basic Member
    I have read reports about the 30-30's having feeding issue and others that say they never had a problem - I found in parts lists that some internal parts that could have to do with feeding were changed after the first version. None of the reports I have read specify exactly which version it was that had issues, could it be that in later guns the problem had been solved? These guns were originally a shotgun design and share a lot of parts with the .410 version of the pump shotguns which have a straight case with a rim, if they could get those to feed OK I would think the 30-30 should too - the 30-30 has a rim diameter of .502" and the .410 is just a little larger at .528". The same parts were also changed in the shotguns and had a shotgun model prefix on the part numbers.

I have never had a 30-30 but do have one in 35 Remington, it's a 'B' version - I do not think that 35 Remington was offered in the first version - maybe the first version might still have had issues even if chambered for 35 Rem.

The original 170's even used the same magazine tube & parts as the .410 shotguns - I don't know if the later type with the 'damper' was ever used on shotguns. I had always thought the only function of that added part was to stop the forearm from rattling as much, another complaint often reported with these (maybe just the ones with out the damper).
    Last edited by Sav22; 01-05-2017 at 03:00 PM. Reason: added parts lists

Yep Gene, I had that ****ed rattling forearm to.

375 Win? That would be a sweet shooter in a pump, I have a 375 in a 99 but a 170 would be just as fun. I guess the smith that did it figured you had enough wall thickness left over after the rebore?
    Savage- "never say never".

Dang aint been around in awhile & was browsing about my gun when i seen this.
    Hey
    Since posting this i gave it a hell of a cleaning, got it put together correctly. Slapped see thru mounts & a weaver k6 fixed on it. Havent shot a pig with it yet but it did the job on two beavers!!

Basic Member
    Had one last year. Occasional jams, but if you keep the cartridge guide screw ( large screw on the bottom right side of the receiver under the ejection port) tight, not death grip tight but snug, all was well. Accurate too