Thread: Loads for an Axis in .223 Remington

Basic Member

Loads for an Axis in .223 Remington

I'm new to this rifle and I want to reload my own ammo. I have three different powders for it, Norma 200, IMR 4895, and IMR 4198. I also have 55 gr FMJ and FMJBT bullets with cannelure. This is what I've been able to gather so far:

55 gr Hornady fmjbt
    Norma 200, 22 gr, low, 23.5 gr high
    55 gr Hornady fmjbt
    IMR 4198, 18.8 gr low, 20.4 gr high
    55 gr Hornady fmjbt
    IMR 4895, 21.5 gr low, 23.9 high

I've even read about using 4 to 6 grains of Trail Boss. I have a ton of Trail Boss, so that would be awesome. People have discussed using everything from light bullets (35 gr) to more normal weight (52 to 55 gr) bullets with Trail Boss.

I'd appreciate any feedback on this. By the way, the majority of my shooting is done at an indoor range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glockr
    Quote Originally Posted by andyknaster View Post
    I'm new to this rifle and I want to reload my own ammo. I have three different powders for it, Norma 200, IMR 4895, and IMR 4198. I also have 55 gr FMJ and FMJBT bullets with cannelure. This is what I've been able to gather so far:

55 gr Hornady fmjbt
    Norma 200, 22 gr, low, 23.5 gr high
    55 gr Hornady fmjbt
    IMR 4198, 18.8 gr low, 20.4 gr high
    55 gr Hornady fmjbt
    IMR 4895, 21.5 gr low, 23.9 high

I've even read about using 4 to 6 grains of Trail Boss. I have a ton of Trail Boss, so that would be awesome. People have discussed using everything from light bullets (35 gr) to more normal weight (52 to 55 gr) bullets with Trail Boss.

I'd appreciate any feedback on this. By the way, the majority of my shooting is done at an indoor range.

Hodgdon does show a 4.0 gr Trail Boss load for .223 with a 55 gr bullet on their load data page. It's listed as a maximum load (no starting load is given) with 1074 fps out of a 24" barrel. If it were me, I'd talk with Hodgdon about it before trying it, but some people say I'm overly cautious.

Basic Member
    I load heavies (75's) in my 223. H4895, benchmark, & varget all in the 23-24.5 gr range shoots very good. Currently loading 24.0 gr of varget in my 11VT, which gives very easy hits on clay pigeons out to 550 yards. As always start lower around 21 gr and work up.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by s3silver View Post
    I load heavies (75's) in my 223. H4895, benchmark, & varget all in the 23-24.5 gr range shoots very good. Currently loading 24.0 gr of varget in my 11VT, which gives very easy hits on clay pigeons out to 550 yards. As always start lower around 21 gr and work up.
    I've read from a few sources that the Axis does better with heavy loads. I wonder why that is.

My objective in getting the gun is to improve my skills shooting standing up. I'm dialed in from the bench.

Basic Member
    I think it's because they come with a 9 twist, which is better suited for heavy projectiles. The 55 grainers are more suited for 11/12 twists.

Andy my experience with IMR-4895 and the 55 Gr bullet in the 223 Remington has been outstanding to say the least, of course every rifle and shooter is different. From my Savage model 12 with a 1-9 twist rate and it's 26 inch barrel, I use the Sierra SBT along with Black Hills Brass and WSR primers. Keep in mind each lot of powder could be different in it's burn rate, and when it comes to bullets it's length of the bullet that really matters not necessarily the weight. Some rifles with a 1:9 twist can shoot the 75's & 77's with no problem's, while others keyhole, some information states that the 1:9 is good for the 50,52,55,and 69's. While the 1:7 twist is better suited for the longer 75 & 77's. Good luck

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardnosestreetcop View Post
    Andy my experience with IMR-4895 and the 55 Gr bullet in the 223 Remington has been outstanding to say the least, of course every rifle and shooter is different. From my Savage model 12 with a 1-9 twist rate and it's 26 inch barrel, I use the Sierra SBT along with Black Hills Brass and WSR primers. Keep in mind each lot of powder could be different in it's burn rate, and when it comes to bullets it's length of the bullet that really matters not necessarily the weight. Some rifles with a 1:9 twist can shoot the 75's & 77's with no problem's, while others keyhole, some information states that the 1:9 is good for the 50,52,55,and 69's. While the 1:7 twist is better suited for the longer 75 & 77's. Good luck
    Thanks. I just got the last piece of my reloading kit for .223, a chamber checker. I've already prepped 40 cases (decapped, sized, and trimmed). I'm loading those with Remington 55gr fmjbt and 4895. I'll post a report one I've shot those.
    BTW, how many times can I safely reload those cases?

Basic Member
    Case life depends on several things like brand, how hot is the load, FL vs NS, annealing. With a 223 should be able to get 5+ easy. You should be doing careful inspection during case prep, which is key in picking out bad brass. I also inspect again during priming and charging.

Basic Member
    I am developing 68 grain hornady 68 grain hpbt and 23.5 granes of varget. Working well so far. My Savage also seems to favor heaver bullets

Basic Member
    IMR4895 is my go to powder for 223 with bullets up to 69 grains in my 24 in. 1:9 barrel. I shoot mostly 52, 53, and 69 gr. Sierra MK's and don't see any less accuracy with the lighter bullets.

jersurf101
    I have burned a fair amount of IMR 4895 in my .223 Axis and I have been very happy with the results out to 300 yards. All 55 gr Hornady FMJ projectiles.

Andy: S3silver's advice was great "Case life depends on several things like brand, how hot is the load, FL vs NS, annealing. With a 223 should be able to get 5+ easy. You should be doing careful inspection during case prep, which is key in picking out bad brass. I also inspect again during priming and charging". I will only add use just one brand of brass at a time, and if or when you change brands of brass reduce your load 10% and work back up watching for any signs of high pressure.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardnosestreetcop View Post
    Andy: S3silver's advice was great "Case life depends on several things like brand, how hot is the load, FL vs NS, annealing. With a 223 should be able to get 5+ easy. You should be doing careful inspection during case prep, which is key in picking out bad brass. I also inspect again during priming and charging". I will only add use just one brand of brass at a time, and if or when you change brands of brass reduce your load 10% and work back up watching for any signs of high pressure.
    That's what I'm following. I am going to be working with two loads to start with. In PMC brass, 21.5gr of 4895 and in Remington brass, 6gr of Trail Boss (for the indoor 25 yard range). Both loads will use 55gr Hornady fmjbt with cannelure and Sellier and Bellot primers.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andyknaster View Post
    That's what I'm following. I am going to be working with two loads to start with. In PMC brass, 21.5gr of 4895 and in Remington brass, 6gr of Trail Boss (for the indoor 25 yard range). Both loads will use 55gr Hornady fmjbt with cannelure and Sellier and Bellot primers.

That's a good starting point. The 223 seems to have an accuracy node between 23 and 24 grains with various powders, brass, and bullets. However, starting lower will help you identify where pressure starts to build so you know when to stop. I've also found the 223 to be a little finicky; even a .1 gr change will be the difference between 2 moa or 1 moa groups so look for that as well.

I have had great results with heavier projectiles in my Axis. 69 HPBT on top of 24.5 Varget has done very well. In the 50-55 gr range I prefer H335. A few years back I found Black Hills gold ammo with a 50 gr V-max preformed well enough for hunting in my Axis it was hard to justify the time and expense of reloading 50 gr.

Basic Member
    Anybody have experience with IMR-4198 or Norma 200?