Thread: .25-06 FCNS - My 1st Savage ???

.25-06 FCNS - My 1st Savage ???

I'm venturing into the swap barrel waters and I have some questions.

Would rebarreling from the .25-06 Rem to 6.5x.284 Lapua or .284 Winchester simply require a new barrel ?

Will the .25-06 FCNS magazine work with the .284 Win case or will I need to purchase the Savage 6.5x.284 magazine?

Would any modification to the action be required?

I'm mostly interested in increased hunting capability ie bullet weight. I know I could go up to a 6.5-06 or .280 Rem easier but the Winchester case intrigues me.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted. TIA

-LT-

Basic Member
    This info should be of use to you.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/PDF_Files/WhatFits.pdf

Basic Member
    I have built a bunch of 284 based rigs on LA 06 magged rigs and never had any real issues. Most fed fine. The 284 NEEDS to be LA anyway and was supposedly originally designed as an LA.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Tyrebyter View Post

1) Would rebarreling from the .25-06 Rem to 6.5x.284 Lapua or .284 Winchester simply require a new barrel ?

2) Will the .25-06 FCNS magazine work with the .284 Win case or will I need to purchase the Savage 6.5x.284 magazine?

3) Would any modification to the action be required?

4) I'm mostly interested in increased hunting capability ie bullet weight. I know I could go up to a 6.5-06 or .280 Rem easier but the Winchester case intrigues me.
    -
    1) Open your reloading manual and look at the case drawings. As long as the cases in question have the same head size, you don't need to change bolt heads. So the lithe guys (223, etc) are all 0.378". Standard bolt faces are about 0.470", and the magnums are something like 0.538"

2) No one but you can answer that. Savage QC is hit and miss, and there is a lot of voodoo involved. I've gone from 7mm Rem Mag--> 22-250 and been fine. I've gone from 30-06-->264WM and had to buy parts.

3)No.
    4) A re-barrel is a re-barrel, one isn't easier or harder. But if the case intrigues you, do it.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Thank you olddav that's a good reference chart.

I know that the FCNS bolt head and action length are compatible for both the -06 and .284 Winchester.

I'm most unsure, due to my level of experience with Savage rifles, about the use of a Savage -06 magazine with the larger base diameter .501" Winchester case vs the .470" Rem base diameter.

toddcdozer have you used the factory -06 magazines for any of your 284 based projects? After reading darkker's response I checked again and caught my error about a factory 284 based magazine so I'm wondering if the -06 mags will work?

I'm on a bit of a budget so I'd rather use factory or readily available parts than having to resort to "voodoo"?

Thanks again, LT

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Tyrebyter View Post
    Thank you olddav that's a good reference chart.

I know that the FCNS bolt head and action length are compatible for both the -06 and .284 Winchester.

I'm most unsure, due to my level of experience with Savage rifles, about the use of a Savage -06 magazine with the larger base diameter .501" Winchester case vs the .470" Rem base diameter.

toddcdozer have you used the factory -06 magazines for any of your 284 based projects? After reading darkker's response I checked again and caught my error about a factory 284 based magazine so I'm wondering if the -06 mags will work?

I'm on a bit of a budget so I'd rather use factory or readily available parts than having to resort to "voodoo"?

Thanks again, LT
    I used factory BM on all of them. Never had any issues. May have been lucky though I doubt it as I never get lucky it seems. If there is any issue its fixable with a hair of bending. I have had more issues going from big to small than the other way around.

Thanks Todd
    [B]MAGA 2017[/B]

Banned
    Same idea using the Hand load books for reference you can look at the overall case shape and size, see if its close.

Always nice to know someone has done it and worked fine.