Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stainless steel media, should I add it?

Team Savage

Stainless steel media, should I add it?

Ive been motoring along now with the normal walnut media tumbler and later in the process using ultrasonic then back into the media for a re shine. I am anal about wanting shiny brass. It doesnt perform any better. I just want those things to look brand new when I open my box. Ive taken a lot of time and gotten my process down to a science, "for me". Although I do from time to time still post on the hall of shame but thats a whole other topic.

My issue is this. Where would I put it / where do you put it, in your reloading steps? Would I still use the media to knock off the range gunk before running them through the dies? Would it basically go into the process where the sonic cleaner and second media run is? As it stands now the media tumbler is my limiting factor on how many pieces of brass I can get started with. I could add an additional media tumbler for a lot less money. The down side to my process is I check every flash hole and wipe out the media dust to be sure no flash holes have any media in them prior to loading. I am thinking that the ss will eliminate this laborious step. Although I hear you need to check to be sure you dont have a pin stuck in there anywhere?

So are they worth it? If I bought one it would be the rebel 17 so not cheap. Its just that I got some brass from a guy a few months ago and it was perfect!!!

I know it does nothing for the performance of the round and I am needlessly chasing something I dont need to but I cant seem to help my self lol. So I want some experiences. Would you buy it again?

Basic Member
    I shoot one round at a time from a bench and place each used case on a clean towel, so it comes home from the range clean and without grit. So I lube, deprime, neck size, body size, and form the neck with a special mandral, chamfer the neck, and then wet SS tumble. Of course, if you pick up brass from the ground, your routine will be different.

Save yourself some money and get the Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Rotary Tumbler. I haven't used the Rebel 17, but I really like the Frankford. The Rebel says it takes 3 to 4 hours, but I never run my Frankford more than 90 minutes. Plus it has a timer. Check it out.

Basic Member
    I have been using the Thumbler and stainless pins for several years and have cleaned at least 8K 223 and 2K handgun cases with it. My current process is:
    Decapping with a Lee universal die
    Tumbling with the SS pins for about 90 minutes
    Drying
    Sizing
    Trimming
    Tumbling about 20-30 minutes with corncob to remove the sizing lube

I usually clean about 100 pieces of brass in each batch using about 7 pounds of SS pins, 1/2 tablespoon of Dawn detergent, 1/4 teaspoon of Lemishine and fill with hot water to about 1 inch below the top of the Thumbler drum. Initially I was using 5 pounds of pins and tumbling as much as 3 hours. Although the cases came out very clean, the was noticeable chipping or peening on the case mouths, apparently caused by the cases colliding while tumbling. Using more pins and reducing the tumbling time essentially eliminated this issue.

If I were buying a wet tumbler today, it would be the Frankford and I would use the money saved to buy more SS pins.

Yep. This is what i do but i use an ultrasonic

Decap, clean, dry, size, tumble in dry media to remove lube, clean out flash hole, measure case length and trim if necessary, examine condition of case, chamfer and debur, prime, charge and seat bullets

LongRange
    Doc do yourself a favor...if you want new looking brass get a stainless steel tumbler...90mins and it looks newer than new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    F.A.R.T is a great system for the money. I was using a sonic. Now I tumble. Still inspect to insure no pins stuck in flash hole.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

The Old Coach
    I get the idea that the O.P. is asking if he can use SS media instead of walnut shells, which implies that he's using a vibratory tumbler. Won't work. He'll need to buy a rotating drum tumbler. Should he? IMHO yes. I hardly ever use the vibrator anymore. For one thing the vibrator puts toxic dust into the air. Wet tumbling doesn't.

I deprime using a depriming tool, NOT my sizing die. Then tumble in SS pins as required depending on how dirty the cases are. Dump into a plastic colander sitting in a deep bowl full of warm water. Pick cases out one at a time, giving them a shake, mouth down, while still under water. Pins do not stay inside if you it do this way, even with .223 cases. The pins meanwhile fall through the colander into the bowl. Rinse them thoroughly, then pour the lot thru a screen sifter, and dump the pins back into the tumbler. Dry the cases and proceed from there. I use a lanolin case lube, so when sizing is done I use the same colander and bowl to rinse off the lube with hot water. I have thus completely eliminated that tedious step of clearing media from flash holes.

LongRange

No he's not talking about adding it to or putting it in his vibratory tumbler...he even states "if I buy one it will be the rebel 17 not so cheep"!!

As I said doc and I think we talked a little about this awhile ago...once you go stainless all that other equipment will sit somewhere collecting dust.

I've had my 17 for just a little over 2yrs(I think)and I use it at least 2-4x per month.

Yes I'd without hesitation I'd buy another one but the good thing with the 17 you can buy just parts if you need them so expensive for a reason.

And I've played with about every combo of tumbling out there as far as hot cold different soaps tumble times and amount of brass....

Ajax works the best...cold water works better than hot 90mins is the same as 3 hours and I tumble 175 6mm creed or 260 cases at a time...and rinse with cold water...

Less than 100 cases...
    Cold water
    1/2TSP yellow Ajax
    1/8 teaspoon lemi shine

More than 100 cases
    1TSP yellow Ajax
    1/4 teaspoon lemi shine

Get the rebel 17 kit with the separator...you can afford it your just cheap lol!

Mixtures above are assuming your not tumbling range brass!!

Team Savage
    Ok it took me a little time to get back here. I recently had surgery and have been laying around and not at the computer as often. Back at work today so anyhow.

What do you think about neck tension? I keep hearing that ss dings up the necks and effects neck tension. I think its just a bunch of bs and can be delt with if its even something to worry about in the first place. I use bushing dies and can simply go up or down a k if I need to adjust.

Team Savage
    Yes LR you are right I can afford it. And I AM cheep lol. That is exactly what my wife said when I showed her what I was looking at and wondering about. I am waaaay OCD and like to study things far too much before I buy. Im wired that way. Its self preservation against buyers remorse. But let me tell ya about a savage 6.5 CM I bought for 3k. I will be ordering the 17 shortly. :)

Team Savage
    Where in the process do you use it?
    Do you use a generic decapping die first?
    Then anneal then tumble?

Can I use the media separator that I used with the walnut shells?

I ordered a magnetic transfer thingamabob. looked useful.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doctnj View Post
    Ok it took me a little time to get back here. I recently had surgery and have been laying around and not at the computer as often. Back at work today so anyhow.

What do you think about neck tension? I keep hearing that ss dings up the necks and effects neck tension. I think its just a bunch of bs and can be delt with if its even something to worry about in the first place. I use bushing dies and can simply go up or down if I need to adjust.
    Wet tumbling with SS media will scrub all the carbon out of the inside of the case necks. And dipping your case necks in Imperial dry graphite neck lube (fine powdered carbon) will replace it. The expander will smear this "carbon" and coat the inside of the neck again. Just remember to get the container with the ceramic balls, and all you do is dip and rotate the case.

Below the biggest problem when wet tumbling is case mouth peening if the cases are left in too long. The case mouth on the right is brand new and untouched and as it came tumbled from the factory.

The case on the left has been fired and then tumbled to long, and the case trimming and deburring have been badly battered and peened. The cure for this is to trim and deburr after tumbling.

NOTE, I wet tumble now because I have semi-autos that throw perfectly good brass away and makes you go look for it. And when you find them on the ground they have embedded dirt and grit on them that can scratch your dies. And wet tumbling with SS media scrubs the brass clean and free of any grit that can scratch the dies and brass.

Moral of story, make sure you have carbon covered balls and don't fall asleep when wet tumbling.

LongRange
    shoot
    decap with universal decap die
    anneal if its time...every 2nd firing
    tumble
    rinse
    dry in my drier box
    clean primer pockets every 2nd or 3rd firing
    throw cases in a cake pan and spray with 12-1 liquid lanolin and 99% isopropyl
    FL size..i use a 22cal brush and graphite to lube the inside of the necks...basically same thing Ed is saying
    wipe cases with 70% isopropyl and a rag
    trim and ready to load

tumbling DOES NOT remove all the carbon from the neck at 90mins and DOES NOT ding up the INSIDES of the necks period!! BUY THE KIT AND STOP BEING CHEAP LOL!!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    shoot
    decap with universal decap die
    anneal if its time...every 2nd firing
    tumble
    rinse
    dry in my drier boxhttp://accurateshooter.net/Blog/stm011lake.jpg
    clean primer pockets every 2nd or 3rd firing
    throw cases in a cake pan and spray with 12-1 liquid lanolin and 99% isopropyl
    FL size..i use a 22cal brush and graphite to lube the inside of the necks...basically same thing Ed is saying
    wipe cases with 70% isopropyl and a rag
    trim and ready to load
    http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/stm011lake.jpg
    tumbling DOES NOT remove all the carbon from the neck at 90mins and DOES NOT ding up the INSIDES of the necks period!! BUY THE KIT AND STOP BEING CHEAP LOL!!!
    I don't know what type wet tumbler you have, but I have the Thumler's Model B High Speed Tumbler and my necks on the inside are stripped clean of carbon and the primer pockets are clean in less than 90 minutes. And it will peen the case mouths if left in 90 minutes, so I'm guessing you have a slower speed tumbler from the results you stated above.

Meaning never say never about peened case mouths and removing "ALL" the carbon from inside the case.

Brass Cleaning with Stainless Media
    Stainless Tumbling Media System Review

By Jason Koplin, Forum Member
    http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...ainless-media/

My 5.56 brass looks just the same as from the link above.

LongRange

Read my post ed I said INSIDE case necks don't get dinged or peened NOT the mouths.

And I have the rebel 17 tumbler so you may be right about the speed but even after 3 hours of tumbling I've NEVER had a case come out brand new clean like you have posted and neither has anyone I know using the same tumbler I am.

Basic Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by doctnj View Post

What do you think about neck tension? I keep hearing that ss dings up the necks and effects neck tension. I think its just a bunch of bs and can be delt with if its even something to worry about in the first place. I use bushing dies and can simply go up or down a k if I need to adjust.

LongRange

I forgot to add the above to my last posting, there are competitive shooters who say removing all the carbon from the neck effects neck tension and accuracy. And you said it doesn't remove all the carbon "BUT" it does remove all of mine. So again it depends on the speed of the tumbler on how fast the stainless steel media scrubs the cases clean.

I just put 100 once fired Lake City 7.62 cases in my tumbler for an hour and there is just a faint tint inside the cases and faint coloration in the primer pockets. So again thats what I meant by saying never say never because of all the different type tumblers on the market.

The competitive shooters who do not like wet tumbling or sonic cleaning just brush the inside of the case and leaving the carbon inside the necks. They feel the stripped clean case necks will allow the bullet to bond to the inside of the case neck and effect bullet grip. The less fussy competitive shooters will wet tumble or sonic clean but seat the bullets long and just before the match seat the bullets to their proper depth and breaking any bonding.

So my post was not meant to be insulting and I was just clearing up the facts about wet tumbling, removing carbon and peened case mouths.

LongRange
    not taken as an insult and i agree with you if all carbon is removed it effects accuracy(something i tested)and will also cause bullet bond if the load ammo sets long enough...also im not arguing the fact that YOUR tumbler removes ALL the carbon from the necks BUT i am saying that MY tumbler does not and i know at least 5 other guys that have the same tumbler(Rebel 17)as i do and they have the same results..so..as you say it must be that YOUR tumbler turns at higher RPMs which would make sense...as far as the MOUTHS getting peened...i agree with you there as well because MY tumbler(and id guess ALL SS tumblers)peen the MOUTHS to some extent BUT the SS pins DO NOT peen the INSIDES of the necks and thats the question Doc asked.

so like you im just clearing up some of the facts about SS tumbling...im honestly not trying to argue or be a dick just trying to clear things up so more misinformation isnt pasted down the line.

**Ed i went back and re-read Docs question and he DOES NOT actually mention the insides of the necks specifically so my mistake...i miss read his question but i will stand behind what i posted above.**

Team Savage
    Its going to come down to some experimentation. Heck I may not shoot good enough to notice any difference. lol. But I will keep tabs on everything just the same. There are some guys on my local prs group thread that want me to report if I notice / measure any changes when switching. I got the 17 in last night but I have to wait on another package from Cabelas. No I didnt buyt the kit. I had a cabelas card I had to use from Christmas.

Oh and a public service announcement. If you have nra membership and havent actually "activated" the free included insurance. Be sure to go on line and do it. I had 2 cars broken into in my driveway and two guns stolen. If I had activated my freakin insurance I could have gotten them replaced for free. I auto / home insurance deductible is high enough it is a wash. And they got my favorite pocket knife. Its been determined that its someone that knows me. They better hope I dont figure it out!

The Old Coach
    Gee, whizzakers! You left guns in your car(s)?????

Team Savage
    Yes. They were cheap. We live in the country on a dead end. It's a small town with very low crime. This was a targeted theft. I will eventually figure out who it was.

Basic Member
    Sucks that our world has become full of lowlifes that you have to carry weapon to go to the store. Can't leave your doors unlocked at night, or trust leaving anything in your vehicles over night. Just plain sucks! Hope you find the lowlife(s).
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Discussion on peening brass cases. I do not have the metallurgical or engineering knowledge to be certain but I am in the camp that in order to peen you need enough mass and velocity to cuase the surface of the metal to be compressed making a skin of more dense material. Unless you are using some very heavy pins n a large diameter tumbling drum I can't see that happening.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Post removed; duplicated post number 3 and I didn't want to come off as a DH.
    Last edited by Texas10; 01-07-2017 at 12:04 PM.

Team Savage
    Update. I ran the tumbler and the results were fantastic. When I reloaded I used graphite inside the necks and the "feel" when seating the bullets felt just about the same as the dry tumbling. Not that it was scientific but it had the same light feel. Tomorrow will be when the rubber meets the road. Ive had the bullets loaded for a few days now and I am going to be shooting 3 calibers. Ill be measuring 10 cases of dry tumbled brass against 10 rounds of wet tumbled brass. If there is a noticeable difference Ill repeat the test. If its within 2 or 3 either way Ill call it good but anything above that will be considered significant. Ill report back. That is if anyone cares to hear the results. lol

Basic Member
    I'll just add to inspect the primer pockets on each case. Not too many get pins stuck in them, but it does happen. I've found some cartridges are worse than others, for unknown reason. In my 40 SW cases - about 5% have pins stuck. Less on 9MM and 357 Mag straight wall cases - 2-3%.

In your original post you said you really like extra shine on the final product, imo then you will still spend some time in the dry tumbler. I would still suggest the stainless media tumbling thought for the clean primer pockets in inside case cleaning.

Not too happy with my Thumlers Tumbler - squeaking rod bushings after the first couple of uses. I'm going to call them and see if they have an upgrade to the bushings - I'll look at the Rebel 17 - see if it has bearings on the support rods. Bearings would be better than bushings.

Biggest reason I thought I would post is to emphasize the need to inspect primer pockets for stuck pins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast