Thread: 6.5 -284 reloading problems

Basic Member

6.5 -284 reloading problems

Bought a model 111 6.5-284 norma barrel and been fighting reloading this ever since tried two different sets of dies from different mfg and still cannot get the bolt to close easily. I tried modifying a shell holder to see if the shoulder wasnt getting pushed back far enough but doesnt help tried new brass, tried sharpie maker on a case to see if i could see where it rubs with no marks on the case, trimmed the case shorter thinking make it was a short neck. I cant figure it out wondering if anyone else has had this same issue before?? Also wondered if i load it up light and fireform to the chamber if the next time i reload it would be ok from then on but not sure id it is safe to do this? Not sure how much of a crush on brass is ok that is.

Have you tried go/no go gauges. Check headspace.

Will sized unprimed/unloaded brass chamber

You need a set of headspace gauges and the stony point overall length gauge

Does your extractor move freely. It is possible that it is bound by dirt or something. Ejector plunger? Like stated above, the chamber could be small. Loosen the barrel a 1/4 turn and try again. Do that till the bolt closes. If that works get the guages.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I have tried headspace gages tried brand new brass unprimed extractor seems fine i will try and clean the barrel tonight and make sure everything is good and clean again and try again i have been pulling my hair out for a few months with this one and waiting for my new dies and such..

Basic Member
    Does the brass have a thick neck? May have to turn down the neck

Basic Member
    Doesn't seem to i tried 2 different makes of brass as well

Basic Member
    If ya have a 25 cal neck die, try necking it down to 25 and see if it loads easier. Sounds like a tight neck to me

Basic Member
    Before installing a new barrel, always insert the HS Go gauge or a new case in the chamber and make sure it protrudes .125 to .130 out the end of the chamber. If this test fails, it can save us from modifying or buying new equipment. If we smoke or MM a case, and it doesn't chamber easily, rub marks should show up somewhere.

I then seat the bulletin I plan to use, making a dummy round, and find out where it touches the lands. All this gains some good information while it is easiest to do.

When installing a barrel, before locking down the nut, the barrel needs to be backed out a "fraction". Then the barrel needs to be supported in that position when the nut is tightened.

Failure to do this could result in the problem of which You speak. But it should show up on the smoke or MM test.

Please let us know what You find :-).

Basic Member
    Take a casting of your chamber using CerroSafe and then at least you will know what your chamber and throat dim are. Will at least let you know whats going on, without that you are flying blind.

If the Brass is sized right and the barrel has been sized correctly there is something odd going on. You never stated how difficult it is to operate the bolt without a cartridge in the chamber. (Action screw too long). Barrel is chambered for a 6mm-284 with a no turn neck. yada yada just throwing stuff out there.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Action was used on a straight 284 build and never had any issues and do not have issues without brass in chamber functions fine the barrel is a facory savage take off barrel from savage 6.5-284 norma

Basic Member
    Well just a little update barrel was so dirty so i cleaned it and tried the brass again and it looks as if it is taking the marker off on where the shoulder meets the larger size of the brass opposite the neck