Thread: What case will fit??

Basic Member

What case will fit??

Mornin all,
    ~I'm 0 for 2 trying to find a case for my 10 fcp. The tactical bolt handle makes it too thick for a normal case. Any ideas??

Basic Member
    Theres a small company in W VA that custom makes cases to any dimension you want.
    Ive had about 10 made in different sizes and shapes. Very well made with heavy weight material.
    They also do cases for the military. Prices average about $40. I'll get the name and number, but meanwhile
    the name (Morton) is ringing a bell, and they show up as a PA company. Might be they moved? But i'll check.

Basic Member
    Thanks Yobuck, I should have specified I was looking for a hard case suitable for TSA and airlines.. Cool company though!

Get a bolt pouch. remove the bolt, put it in the sleeve place it under the rifle so it does not hit the scope. cutting two slits in the foam and putting velcro through it to secure the bolt is another idea.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Why not just pull the bolt? I like to use drag bags that double as a mat and you are right, the bolt handle sticks out enough to make it a pain. I just pull it and store it inside in it's own taco case.

LongRange
    pelican IM3300.

Banned
    I am in the pull the bolt group (of two!)

One reason is I ship the bolt in another bag (haven't tried carry on)

If the gun should disappear during the trip, its useless until a bolt is acquired.

Basic Member
    Thank-you everyone, I'm such a dummy.... After hauling the wife thru several stores and explaining to her why the gun won't fit, she said the exact same thing!

Basic Member
    Yup pull the bolt and cut a spot for it.

Basic Member
    I pull mine on my 10T. Been looking for a mini case to put it in so it won't slide around in the case. As much as you don't want to admit it, your wife was right!
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    I pull mine on my 10T. Been looking for a mini case to put it in so it won't slide around in the case. As much as you don't want to admit it, your wife was right!
    Cut a spot for it and it won't slide around.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mbohuntr View Post
    Thank-you everyone, I'm such a dummy.... After hauling the wife thru several stores and explaining to her why the gun won't fit, she said the exact same thing!
    My wife grew up on a farm. I had the privilege to see her run a cattle capture mechanism (and some of the worst two hoist boat hydraulics' ever with the smoothness that was beyond stunning ) , I would not want to get into a shootout with her. I may be accurate but she is fast and accurate.

With that mechanical background more than once its been "you may want to......"

I had a brand new cordless drill that was make crunching sounds, I am looking at it (from the side) stunned (DeWalt ) never had one that was not perfect.

While I am standing there stupefied, she points out that the speed selector is half way from slow to fast. Uhhhh, yep. So it goes.

Basic Member
    Patriot Cases also makes a great case and uses better foam than Pelican. You would need to pay for the upgraded foam additional from Pelican. The will also custom cut it and you can send them a template of how you want it laid out....

Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    Other option (if you have corrugated foam rather than a cut-out layer) is to cut a couple slits in the bottom piece of foam and then run a strip of 1/2 or 3/4" wide velcro through so you can strap the bolt down. Same method as they use to strap bows into hard cases. If you're worried about it tearing the foam you can reinforce it on the back side with come cardboard or 1/8" hardboard panel.

Basic Member
    Good ideas, and she is better with my pistol than I am. Too bad she doesn't like to go to the range like I do...

Basic Member
    I'm going to check some of these replies. My Savages have usually been Edges or some barrel eating smaller caliber and always have 30"+ tubes+brake. I found a case that would work BUT.....it cost more than my gun LOL. I have been looking into drag bags but I would like a hard case. Maybe one of the ones in this thread will work.

Basic Member
    Hilarious. Just checked Pelican and Patriot and evidently on some planet a 50" gun is LOOOOOOONG. Where are these people from? Lilliput?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toddcdozer View Post
    Hilarious. Just checked Pelican and Patriot and evidently on some planet a 50" gun is LOOOOOOONG. Where are these people from? Lilliput?

Look at the Plano Field Locker. It has a 54" internal dimension.

http://www.planomolding.com/hunting/...-hard-gun-case

Basic Member
    Plano Airglide will take anything up to 50" OAL, scope, no scope, bolt, no bolt but personally, I would pull the bolt.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob01 View Post
    Look at the Plano Field Locker. It has a 54" internal dimension.

http://www.planomolding.com/hunting/...-hard-gun-case
    Thanks for the tip, my Lapua is 52.5 and SAUM is 53.5 so it will work. I have been looking a while and never thought of plano as they aren't usually regarded as building stuff like that DUH. My other rigs wont fit but recently I have been moving towards shorter rigs like the Lapua and SAUM. I looked hard about 10 yrs ago and a custom case was gonna be $1000. The guy said you could run over it with a truck but $1k is more than 99% of the Savages I build cost.