Thread: Modifying right hand stock for left hand action.

brownb56

Modifying right hand stock for left hand action.

Seen a lot of wood stocks modified to use with a left hand bolt but was curious if anyone has modified a synthetic stock or aluminum chassis to work with a left hand bolt.

Sent from my SM-A9100 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    im wondering the same thing myself . trying to get a accustock for my 11 th xp. can only find right hand

brownb56
    Yea there have been a few stocks that I like but don't come left handed. Decent craftsman and think I can make it look good. But a little hesitant to go cutting on one without some examples lol.

Basic Member
    I'm a lefty as well... I don't think it would be any problem at all... but... I usually just go to Boyds Stocks and buy a pretty laminated one for 108.00
    Forgive My Sins.... Jesus .... Save My Soul

Team Savage
    Laminated or wood stocks are pretty easy to modify. Just a matter of recutting the bolt handle slot of the left side and plugging the same on the right side. Match the color the best you can and you're good to go.
    Synthetic stock mod shouldn't be too much of a problem. Color the plug for a good match. A little Bondo or bedding compound should make a pretty good plug.
    Aluminum chassis could be a little more work. Maybe some JB in an aluminum color? Might take a little research to figure that one out.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

brownb56
    Honestly not too worried with leaving the right hand bolt groove there as long as it didn't affect the strength of the stock.

Basic Member
    Depends on synthetic. The ones that are injection molded haven't been the easiest to get fillers to stick to, in my experience. The fiberglass ones accept it very well. Can't say on bedding blocks, never messed with one.

I"ve done a couple. It's a piece of cake I take a really small drill bit and put a few holes in the right hand side bolt cutout at opposing angles so my epoxy will form a mechanical lock. Then I put a piece of masking tape inside the stock and outside the stock on both sides of the cutout to act as a fence and hold the epoxy in place. I leave the top open to put the epoxy into the bolt cutout space. The tape works well and contours to the shape of the stock. Then I mix up some JB weld and work it into the void between the tape filling in the old right handed bolt cutout and work it around a little with a toothpick to make sure it gets into the holes I drilled. After 24 hour pull off the tape and just file down the top edge. Voila the old cutout is properly filled and contoured perfectly to the stock. Then I put the left handed action into the stock and mark the bolt location for the new left handed cutout. A few minutes with the dremel. or a little longer if you use a set of files, and the left side cutout is done. Add a quick paint job if you wish and no one would ever know it wasn't a factory lefty. This stock has had a few other additional tweaks. but was a right handed take off i picked up from the classifieds here.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    There was a good thread on snipers hide about this. It was one of the new grey boe stocks. I will try to find it

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Careful dremel/chisel work ought to do it. Then you could plug the right hand bolt handle cutout (Devcon 10110), then refinish the whole stock in Duracoat or something and no one would be the wiser. I just received a left handed Boyds replacement stock I ordered for a Savage Model 14 project. Quick turnaround time and decent quality/price.