Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My latest Project, 300 RUM

My latest Project, 300 RUM

I traded for the barreled action and stock from fellow members, Sorry for the crappy pic but here it is so far. I still need to float and bed the stock. Hopefully she will print on the 800 yd range next week. I have my fixed power 32x40 BSA scope on it for now, It's not the clearest but it gets the job done and it's the only functional sub $100 long range scope I've ever owned. The scope has handled a 3006 now it will get a real test.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300 rum.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	2444

Rich Coyle
    What load do you plan to use?

Right now all I have is a box of Remington 180 grain level 3 (cost almost as much as I have in the barreled upper). I have some brass on the way so I'll have to figure out which way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stock has a gouge and a few scratches, I'm going to use steam to lift them out and fine sand them, Does anyone know what I should use to blend into the factory finish. I did a lot of searching and found a lot of information on full stock refinishes but not patch jobs like this, The rest of the stock is perfect and I'd prefer just to refinish what I have to.
    Thanks,
    Ninner

Name:	IMG_3316.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	203.1 KB 
ID:	2458

Required modification to SF action for XLR Evolution chassis.

The RUM addiction continues. Not being content with a single shot RUM and seeing the chassis for sale in classifieds has led to the next dilemma. Do I swap to a CF receiver or mill my stagger feed to accept the CIP length mag. Since my 7mm wsm is setup on the CF action and shooting great I'm inclined to just mill out the receiver. Part of the decision is based on the lack of a Stagger feed stock inleted for a heavy barrel and I'm not sure the 7mm wsm will feed from a long action stagger feed mag. Does anyone have any advice or links to like projects. I've done a lot of searching and cant find a good write up on what needs to be done to the receiver. I assume milling the receiver isn't dimension critical since many have referred to doing it with a dremel. Whatever needs to be done feed ramp wise should be obvious once I try to load from the mag.

Moral of the story, I probably should have stuck with Captain Morgan, This Remington brand RUM is way too expensive.

Basic Member
    Just mill it out, no problems there. Doesn't take a lot of time and shoots great.

SHM

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

So I only need to mill the back of the receiver?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninner View Post
    So I only need to mill the back of the receiver?

That's all I did to feed from cip mags

My XLR Evolution Chassis is coming in tomorrow and I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas morning. I'll wait and mock up the receiver in the stock to see exactly what needs to come off before I put it in the mill. Hopefully SMH is right on target, The only thing I'm a little skechy on at this point is will I need to lengthen the bolt throw? What's the best way to do it? I soon shall see.

Name:	xlr1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	2522Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xlr2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	2523

Basic Member
    Start small. If you have a center feed start there, put it in the chassis, make sure your mag fits properly. If you don't, just do it in stages. What we found out when we milled it, when you pull your bolt back with a slight amount of tension, you want to be flush with the milled slot and bolt face. We brought it back about 0.050" further than flush.

As for bolt through, we didn't do anything with that. I would imagine if you cut into the baffle at where the bolt stop makes contact you may be able to add a bit, but I don't know what that will structurally do to the bolt, more than likely nothing but I can't stand behind that with any kind testing and data.

SHM

The Chassis came in, I milled the receiver, assembled and got to test the RUM today at 100 yds. It actually surprised me with the accuracy of the thin barrel and cheap scope I have mounted right now. Only down side right now is the Mag I got with the Chassis is a 338 LM and it wont hold more than 1 round of 300 RUM so I'll have to sell this one and buy an AI 300 RUM/EDGE CIP mag.

Name:	IMG_3360.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	162.6 KB 
ID:	2536Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3361.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	284.8 KB 
ID:	2537

Basic Member
    The Chassis came in, I milled the receiver, assembled and got to test the RUM today at 100 yds. It actually surprised me with the accuracy of the thin barrel and cheap scope I have mounted right now. Only down side right now is the Mag I got with the Chassis is a 338 LM and it wont hold more than 1 round of 300 RUM so I'll have to sell this one and buy an AI 300 RUM/EDGE CIP mag.

Name:	IMG_3360.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	162.6 KB 
ID:	2536Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3361.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	284.8 KB 
ID:	2537
    Congrats man, very nice looking.

Ok, now that it's shooting I have the itch to put a custom bull barrel on this thing. I've been reading about low twist rate 300 RUM barrels that allow for lightening fast 110 grain bullets, Any thoughts? If anyone is getting the RUM itch this barrel may find its way to classifieds soon. Any idea what its worth?

Quote Originally Posted by thatguyshm View Post
    Just mill it out, no problems there. Doesn't take a lot of time and shoots great.

SHM

If your bolt is all the way back I didn't quite go back that far. I just trimmed it back with an end mill and finished the corners with a dremel. Not as pretty as yours but functional.

Ok, now that it's shooting I have the itch to put a custom bull barrel on this thing. I've been reading about low twist rate 300 RUM barrels that allow for lightening fast 110 grain bullets, Any thoughts? If anyone is getting the RUM itch this barrel may find its way to classifieds soon. Any idea what its worth?
    I'll take that muzzle brake if you want to go through the hassle of removing it. LOL. might be more hassle than its worth.

Basic Member
    If your bolt is all the way back I didn't quite go back that far. I just trimmed it back with an end mill and finished the corners with a dremel. Not as pretty as yours but functional.
    Haha my father did the real work, he teaches machine tool, can get a bit frustrating at times, but he does amazing work. It took us the better part of 3 hours to mill out my wife's stock for the Whidden v block, but it came out exactly how I wanted it to, so can't complain. He is actually making me an Odin's Eye target this spring, pretty excited about that.

Though it isn't the size of a county water main, I wouldn't exactly call the factory magnum contour barrel "thin" and I have found the factory adjustable brake to be very effective with a brake of some sort bordering on necessary. Not sure if a 110 gr varmint .30 cal bullet will hold together without flying apart or melting if pushed that hard but I did get some decent results from my factory barrel playing around with some really fast 125gr Noslers. It seemed to be quite a waste to me just from an economical standpoint because so many other calibers that don't burn 100gr of powder at a time do the uber velocity super flat thing with ease. That, and I couldn't handle the recoil of extended range sessions. It's been quite a while since I've fooled around with the powder hog.
    Not sure what kind of shooting you have in mind but I had an American made Burris Fullfield 2 4.5-14x mounted on mine. The Burris ballistic plex reticle matches the trajectory of 180gr bullets almost perfectly out to 600 yards. Just range point and shoot.
    Looks like you have quite a project going. Enjoy :)
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

One of the biggest supersizes has been lack of bad recoil I've been shooting 180 gr level 3 ammo and in the chassis with the brake open it kicks less than a 12 ga shooting 00 buck. I literally think I could shoot it all day, if I got a second mortgage on the house that is.

Just get ready for the medical bills later. I had an extended range session with mine. No bruising, soreness, nothing, that day. The next day my chest was hurting. At my wifes insistence since I was so hard headed I went to the Doc and they did every test imaginable associated with "chest pain" . I didn't even think about my range session until the doctor asked the right questions after viewing my x rays. Apparently a few boxes through the beast in one day had separated my ribs from my sternum. Took quite a while to get better. Yeah, wont be doing that again.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

I know what you mean my father is a retired machinist and I grew up working in his shop. One has never known true frustration until they have attempted woodworking with a machinist. The are no calipers in woodworking, WTF? At least he never broke out a micrometer. Looking back I learned a lot from him and still do.

Quote Originally Posted by thatguyshm View Post
    Haha my father did the real work, he teaches machine tool, can get a bit frustrating at times, but he does amazing work. It took us the better part of 3 hours to mill out my wife's stock for the Whidden v block, but it came out exactly how I wanted it to, so can't complain. He is actually making me an Odin's Eye target this spring, pretty excited about that.

If the recoil starts getting to me I'm not too proud to use a lead sled. Since I have my range set up 50 yds from my back door I'm tempted to build one out of stainless and leave it out there full time.
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Just get ready for the medical bills later. I had an extended range session with mine. No bruising, soreness, nothing, that day. The next day my chest was hurting. At my wifes insistence since I was so hard headed I went to the Doc and they did every test imaginable associated with "chest pain" . I didn't even think about my range session until the doctor asked the right questions after viewing my x rays. Apparently a few boxes through the beast in one day had separated my ribs from my sternum. Took quite a while to get better. Yeah, wont be doing that again.

Basic Member
    I had shoulder surgery a little over a year ago, tore my labrum, and that's right where the butt of the rifle goes. I'm young enough that the big boomers still interest me, but extended range time can cause problems. So rather than shoot less, I picked up a PACT shoulder pad, meant to handle recoil up to 416 Rigby. I don't shoot without it now and got my father in law one as well. You don't feel that recoil when you are aimed at a critter, but you will feel it during load development.

I installed a EWG 20 Moa one piece base and have a Swift premiere scope on the way. Hopefully I can get it zeroed in this week.

Basic Member
    those are pretty good results considering how thin the barrel is. I sold a 300WM barrel identical to that for fear of accuracy issues. maybe I should have shot it first.....lol

One of the guys here (scope eye??) was all about his slow twist, light bullets at blistering speeds. he said the vapor trail was fantastic and a sight to see with large diameter bullets hauling the mail. he used bullets like barnes ttsx's. he also argued that BC was less important than one would think (inside of 600yds I believe) he said the time of flight was so quick that the bullets were effected less than their BC would indicate.

I got my scope from him and we talked rums a little. If I can't get it sub moa I'm probably going to sell out the rum stuff and go with an McGowan 300 win mag varmint barrel from gun shack for $200. If I was putting together a simple hinting rifle a 1" group at 100 yds would be ok but I'd like this fancy looking bastard to put them all in the same hole.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast