Thread: Help with stock for hunting build

Basic Member

Help with stock for hunting build

Hey fellas, I'm new to the forum, new to long range shooting and new to building guns.

I'm starting to plan my first build and looking for a little help. I'm wanting to build a reasonable weight, accurate (as accurate as possible) hunting rifle. My budget without optics is about $1000. I have a model 11 SA and I'm thinking about making it in 6mm creedmoor.

Having said all that, I'm trying to decide on a stock. I like the looks of the HS Precision Pro Series M24 vertical grip.
    https://www.stockysstocks.com/stocks...1-114-129.html

I also like the HS Precision Pro series 2000.https://www.stockysstocks.com/catalo...cat=0&q=Psv102

How would these stockd be for hunting? They both look light enough. I plan to get a criterion light varmint in either 24 or 26". Which would you pick? Are there pros and cons to either? Any other suggestions?

Thanks guys

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Take a look at the unpainted or money savers for a great value stock at Stockade Stocks. It might take 6 to 8 months though.

http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/3.html
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Thanks Robinhood! Really 6-8 months? That seems insane!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Banned
    Not arguing for or against, but an alternative depending on what you like.

I have a Boyds Thumbhole light weight hunter stock on a 30-06. I have gotten that gun down under 5/8 inch pretty consistently.

Weight wise I don't think there is a lot of difference, it may be lighter than a composite.

I shoot that gun against Heavy Thumb holes and if its not as accurate, its close enough that its how I am shooting which one at any given time (and maybe a 30-06 vs a 308 as the 308 is reputed to be a tad more accurate)

The part I like is that they look good. Nice combo of the dark brown with a stainless barrel and a blued receiver in the case of the 30-06.

If there was an accuracy difference (for how I shoot) I would go with a composite stock, I am getting 1/2 inch and better groups about 3/8 of the time and I think the shifts are me not the stock.

Worth a look. I know the stark tactical look has its own appeal, I am not against it, I just bias more to wood.

The Laminated stocks per Boyd's don't warp of shift so they are good in maintaining accuracy.

All 3 wear a different color and various combos on barrel and receiver, I have a lot of people compliment one of them, sometimes all 3.

Lot of color choices from Boyds.

I just went through this, and ended up ordering a Boyds Prairie Hunter for a Model 14 .308 build. I upgraded to the adjustable comb. Mine is for whitetail deer hunting from box blinds, with rifle carried from .25-1 mile on walks to get to/from the blinds. Also for range work, 100-300 yards. Thought this design was a nice compromise. Quick turnaround from Boyds, very happy with quality and price. The adjustable comb is really well made, but not as large or with the same range of adjustment as a more truly tactical-inspired adjustable comb.

oompahlumpa
    Quote Originally Posted by Mawgie View Post
    I just went through this, and ended up ordering a Boyds Prairie Hunter for a Model 14 .308 build
    How much heavier was the prairie hunter opposed to the factory stock? I am looking at one of those for my axis build I don't want to add unnecessary weight since this will be my hunting rifle which I will be carrying around miles at a time.

The Prairie hunter stock from Boyds weighs in at 2.8 lbs... At least mine did that I put on my 22-250. Also have a Pro varmint from Boyds that I put on my 270 (which will soon be a 260 Rem) and it weighs about the same.

oompahlumpa
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    The Prairie hunter stock from Boyds weighs in at 2.8 lbs... At least mine did that I put on my 22-250. Also have a Pro varmint from Boyds that I put on my 270 (which will soon be a 260 Rem) and it weighs about the same.
    Thanks for the reply! 2.8 doesn't seem too bad. Does it seem noticeably heavier with the boyds stock?

In my opinion.... yes, it is noticeably heavier then the plastic POS stock that came on my axis.... With that being said, I like how it feels far better than the original plastic stock. It seems more balanced and "solid" feeling if that makes any sense to you. It is not so much heavier though that I wouldn't pack it around in the woods as a hunting rifle.

What I will say though.... if you are going to use it as a hunter (carrying it), I recommend getting some kind of stippling around the forend and grip areas, as the Boyds stocks can be rather slippery when they get wet.

oompahlumpa
    What I will say though.... if you are going to use it as a hunter (carrying it), I recommend getting some kind of stippling around the forend and grip areas, as the Boyds stocks can be rather slippery when they get wet.
    Is this a service that Boyds provides? Or would this be a custom job that I would want to do myself?

Boyds does offer that option while they are making it. I think its an extra $50.00 or so. I suppose you could do it yourself, but take a look at the options on their website before you decide. Some of the designs are pretty cool looking.

I like the basic "stipple" or the "Scale" options personally.

My gun is a Model 14 (short action), .308 Win, American Classic (pillared walnut stock from the factory).

The Boyds Prairie hunter stock, with a Limbsaver recoil pad, built in adjustable comb from Boyds, 2 sling studs, and nothing else weighs 2 pounds, 13 ounces.
    The factory walnut stock, with an aftermarket Limbsaver pad, 2 sling studs and nothing else weighs 2 pounds, 8 ounces.

I did not order the stippling on my gun. If you go the the Boyds site and use the configurator, you can check out all kinds of stippling and checkering opitions. I happen to like the clean look, and most of my hunting involves carrying the gun in a shoulder sling to a hunting blind. If you still hunt in wet conditions, the stippling may make sense, if you can't get the grip you like with gloves.

Good luck.

oompahlumpa
    Quote Originally Posted by Mawgie View Post
    The Boyds Prairie hunter stock, with a Limbsaver recoil pad, built in adjustable comb from Boyds, 2 sling studs, and nothing else weighs 2 pounds, 13 ounces.
    The factory walnut stock, with an aftermarket Limbsaver pad, 2 sling studs and nothing else weighs 2 pounds, 8 ounces.
    Thanks for the reply Mawgie! I appreciate it.

TurboSportTSi
    In my opinion.... yes, it is noticeably heavier then the plastic POS stock that came on my axis.... With that being said, I like how it feels far better than the original plastic stock. It seems more balanced and "solid" feeling if that makes any sense to you. It is not so much heavier though that I wouldn't pack it around in the woods as a hunting rifle.

Clear webbing paint is an option as well. If one were to prefer the clean look, this may be a good option to preserve the appearance while adding some texture. I may give this as shot at some point because my stock gets a bit slippery at times too.

I see this thread is a few weeks old, but if I wanted a good hunting rifle at a reasonable weight and accurate as possible on a budget of 1000 not including optics I know exactly what I'd buy. I would buy another model 16/116 in the caliber I wanted which in your case seems to be 6.5 creed. I have several of the weather warriors and you cant ask much more from a hunting rifle period. And yes I'd have a good head start on money for a sling, rings, bases, optics, dies and bullets left over if not enough cash for a decent optic outright.
    Yep That's exactly what I'd do.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    How are the pistol grips on the Boyds Prarie Hunter? Large, small, just right? Heard from a member on another forum that his seemed to need a bit of wood removed, could have been just one mans opinion though.

I hate to order one for my build with checkering and then have to remove a bunch of wood and ruin the checker job.

I would say the pistol grip is on the larger side, but not huge. I wear an XL sized glove and have large, but not massive hands. The grip suits me fine.

I have what I consider average sized hands... I wear a medium golf glove or wool hunting gloves... The palm swell on the Prairie hunter is not that big (compared to my Pro varmint) The swell is only on one side also (same side as the bolt handle) when using a standard action (whether it be left or right bolt).

So, my two cents says, you will be ok with getting the checkering when you order it as long as your hands aren't any smaller than mine.

Basic Member
    Some stocks are better for shooting prone (I have the M24 and dont like shooting it standing up) so depending on how you normally hunt consider that. For a gun that its primary purpose is hunting I would stick with a more traditional hunting looking stock. So I would lean towards the HS Pro 2000. HS makes a great stock and with an aluminum bedding block it will help definitely help your accuracy.

As far as barrel length goes, my hunting creedmoor has a Heavy Sporter barrel from Criterion that is 20" long. I have a 2nd creedmoor with the 24" light varmint barrel and I lost about 100 fps with the shorter barrel. However it is quite a bit lighter so much easier to take on a hunting trip. Even at the slower speed it still carries over 800 ft/lbs of energy out to over 800 yards so it still would have plenty of knock down at long range.

Basic Member
    I am still not sure I would go with a Boyds. They are very reasonable priced but it would be nice to get pillars installed and have it bedded to the action. Once you add the cost of this the price is pretty close to just going with the HS Precision Stock or a Bell & Carlson.