Thread: 6x48 Filler Screws for Sights & Scopes: How to Shorten Them

Lightbulb 6x48 Filler Screws for Sights & Scopes: How to Shorten Them

I'll bet there are some other ways to do this, but I figured I'd post this here in case it helps someone else when they mount a sight or scope.

The challenge I had was:
    How to shorten those small 6x48 Filler Screws by 0.025” to 0.030” so they’d fit flush.

Luckily, I had a few extra and only 2 to do, but gee -- how do you hold 'em???

A pair of tweezers didn’t work... I could have used a small metal jewelers vice, but that probably would have damaged the threads. A set of rubber jaws in my bench vice didn't work either, as they just popped out the moment the file hit it. So then I tried a pair of nylon fishing pliers clamped really tight... That ended up launching 2 screws to never-to-be-found-again-land after they jumped out of the jaws. Then on top of all this, it turns out that none of my files (and I have quite a few very good ones from my locksmithing days) would even touch the finish of the screw -- never mind take some metal off.

What I really needed was a thin 1/16" metal plate that was already threaded to 6x48... But of course, I didn't have that...

Time to get creative! So I used a hole punch to put different sized holes in some tough leather scrap, and then I screwed it into one of the holes that was a tight fit:

Then I slowly and carefully ground it down with a 3/4" stone in my Dremel, at moderate speeds:

Great, it worked!

This last picture shows them fitting flush -- and "clocked" or "timed" correctly -- on the muzzle of the new-to-me Savage 99A which I'd already scoped, and I didn't want to see the front sight in my view:

Now I just need to add a touch of cold blue to blend them in a little better.

Using that holed leather strap to hold them really worked out well.

Tight groups.

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other!"

Basic Member
    Nice tip, thanks!! I've been meaning to make a fixture out of 1/8" flat stock for that purpose. Just drill and tap it with the common screw sizes like 6-48 and 8-40. Then just thread your screw in the hole and trim as needed.

Nice tip!

In a pinch, I've used a plier like this to shear the screw but I wish I knew about your leather trick before I did it this way.

Brownells has sold these for years. Real time saver that was made for holding screws while you grind them to length.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...--prod599.aspx