Thread: Mark II FV-SR is on it's way

Hollowpoint

Mark II FV-SR is on it's way

Hello,
    Found this site last night while researching my new project and have a few questions about the Savage Mark II FV-SR:

• Anything to watch out for on the first disassembly and cleaning?

• How is the finish on these models? I have a good connection for Cerakote and wondering if I should just plan ahead and pick some color options.

• This will have a Yankee Hill Machine Mite suppressor attached 99% of the time.
      • Anyone familiar with this model? Comments, Feedback?
      • Any recommendations for sub-sonic ammo?
      • On a side-note. I was treating the threads with Never Seize (Anti-seize compound) one day and decided to coat the entire guts of the can (wet can theory). It helps greatly with sound suppression, as well as with routine clean-up. All the carbon, powder residue, etc. is attached to the coating and washes right off with Brake Cleaner.

• Been reading a lot about replacement stocks. And have a lot more to read (;
      • Is it easier to find a better quality OEM Savage stock?
      • Or just deal with bedding and other tweaks I see that most Boyd's stocks need?
      • Any stocks out there that will just "drop in"?

• Scopes:
      • I'm all over the place. I have Leupold, Vortex, AimPoint, IOR-Valdada but leaning towards Vortex.
      • Your thoughts, opinions? Reading a lot and much more to read (;

Advice, pointers, etc. more than welcome!!!

Thanks in Advance!!!!!
    HollowPoint

Basic Member
    Lot's of good info here. Check out the Apachee trigger kit while you looking aound.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...splay.php?f=24

Basic Member
    Welcome HollowPoint,

I've owned a Mark II FV-SR for a while and it is a great little rifle. It is light, handy, durable but most of all, a very accurate .22 rifle that is great for informal target shooting, plinking and small game. Mine wears a Nikon P22 scope and a surplus web sling.

Nothing special to note for the first disassembly or cleaning. I recommend the Sinclair bore guide if you use a cleaning rod.

Concerning Cerakote, the standard finish is very basic but also durable. If you're okay with black, I'd save the money for something else.

I don't have a suppressor on mine but I can say that my rifle's favorite ammo is the CCI Segmented HP loads (both standard velocity and the "Quiet" sub-sonic load) and Wolf Match Target.

The OE stock and so initially I thought about replacing it but the rifle shoots so well as is that I found it hard to justify.

Regarding a scope, all of the brands you listed are great. To make a specific recommendation, I'd need to know how are you going to be using (target and range) the rifle?

Basic Member
    Check out Mueller scopes.

I replaced the stock on my Mark II with a Boyd's Varmit Pro. Used to be called "Tactical Cool." Or something like that....anyway, I just installed a Nikon Rimfire 3-9X40 scope. I received it for Christmas and really am enjoying it. For a bipod, I went with a Academy Sporting Goods budget bipod and it works fine.
    Enjoy your shooting!

Hollowpoint
    Thank you ALL for the warm welcome and feedback.
    Researching scopes led me to some articles about Athlon Optics. Some very interesting models with options seen in scopes costing much more. Anyone familiar with them?

Banned
    I am not.

I would strongly consider a Leopold Rimfire 3- to 7x as I recall. Great scope.

If I got one again I would consider the dot (several to choose from). 1/8 target to 3/8 as I recall. Dots are pretty good.

Basic Member
    I have a MKII FVSR, when I first got it, it misfired about every 3-4 shots, cleaned the bolt and hasn't misfired again. I mounted a Charles Daly 4x12 scope on it and at 40 yards, this thing is a great shooter.

Basic Member
    picked up one a year or so ago......great little accurate rifle...........Nikon scope P22 I believe.......great bargain from Savage !
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

I had an FV-SR until I got my hands on a TRR-SR... 24" fluted/threaded barrel instead of 18", and it comes with a Boyd's style composite stock already. With that in mind, mine wears a SilencerCo Stainless Sparrow, a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9x40 BDC, and a Caldwell bipod. For the most part I shoot Gemtech 42gr 1020fps subsonic, and the round hitting the backstop and the click of the trigger are far louder than the shot going off... It puts a grin on my face every time. It's not match ammo, but it'll hold sub-moa @ 50, and just over moa at 100. If I load up some CCI "Stangers", I can ring a 12" plate at 300 with the BDC reticle. You have the supersonic crack, but the shot itself is still extremely hearing safe. I LOVE this little rifle...

Oh, yeah.... Welcome to the site!