Thread: Original style BMag

Original style BMag

Hey everyone. It has been a while since I have visited here. I have one of the first BMags. It was completely replaced once by Savage shortly after I first bought it due to accuracy issues. The recall has been done on the bolt. Still accuracy isn't impressive. I have modified the factory stock by opening up the channel and adding epoxy into the recesses for added weight and rigidity. Still not impressed. I put the rifle up out of frustration. Now have a renewed interest in getting it out. Have the manufacturers gotten more uniform with the quality of the ammo? I'm looking to buy an aftermarket stock just to get rid of the factory crap. Are the new ones any better yet? Some people say that it needs to be shot several hundred times before the accuracy gets better. Any opinions or am I just stuck with my beta test rifle?

Thanks

Paul

Basic Member
    I just picked up a heavy barrel stainless and I have only shot 20 rounds of American eagle 20 grainers and it is shooting less than an inch at 100 yards. So far so good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grandoug
    I have the later version of the BMag, and I went to a Boyds thumbhole almost immediately. The first Boyd's stock took a long time, and when it arrived it was poorly made. After some discussion, Boyd's made good on it, and the second stock only required some minor tweaking and a little glass work. The rifle began to shoot well.
    My expewrience with the .17 WSM ammo has been mixed, but my barrel seems to like the Hornady load, in both the 20 and 25gr bullets. I tried the Winchester, and just didn't get the results I thought the gun should be getting. The Hornady loads seem to be much better.
    I don't buy the weapon needing to be shot "several hundred" times. I think the errors in groups now are mine, not the barrel.
    If you try a Boyd's stock, and don't see major improvement, I would go back to Savage and sit on them to replace the barrel.

Hey everyone. I ended up sending the rifle back to Savage and they are going to replace it. Even after 3 years. That is excellent customer service. I just hope this one shoots better. This is my 3rd bag. They have replaced.the last 2.

Paul

Basic Member
    I have never seen the hornady in the 25gr ammo?

Old Hickory
    I have the original model BMAG and it is a great rifle. It likes both the 20gr and 25gr. It is my main go to rifle.

OakyJuan
    Pretty nice to hear that they do stand behind some owners. My buddy bought one of the 2015 models at Cabelas and it shoots well enough but will not load the last round. Factory told him, ' sorry, will cost too much to repair'.