Thread: Retical question

Retical question

Hello I just bought a savage 110 engage. Part of the reason why I like it was the scope. The retical had a line of circles as it came down from the center. When I took the rifle home the reticals instead were all these little dashes. Much harder to see. I called savage they said I may have received the wrong scope. They sent me the same one. Did the rifle at the store have the wrong scope on it? Sorry if I am using the incorrect terms I am more of a shotgun guy I am new to scoped rifles

Basic Member
    What kind of scope? This is the scope Savage says comes on the rifle, and there is a photo of the Engage reticle. The store may have changed it out for some reason. Sounds like the one you looked through had the Nikon BDC reticle...
    https://www.bushnell.com/products/ri...scopes-3-9x40/

Yea that seems to be the case. If you don't mind me asking which would be the nicer of the two. I think the Nikon is supposed to be on the axis

Basic Member
    The current catalog is showing a Bushnell Engage which has hash marks on the reticles. For the same cost I would prefer the Nikon with BDC as well. I would go back to the dealer and find out what they were showing on the floor model and make them swap it out.

The reticle you have is not bad it just requires you to understand a few things. With a second focal plane scope like the one you have, the hash marks in the reticle have a measurement that is precise at one power setting. At that power you can use those marks to establish windage and drop distances similar to the BDC reticle. The best way to use this is to get your zero and then shoot at different ranges and document the location of the impact on the reticle in relationship to your aim point. Read the instruction sheet and play with it. Learn it. You will be glad you did. At the end of the day, you will be a better marksman. More knowledge and understanding is a good thing. Good luck and enjoy your new rifle.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fromtheplaines View Post
    Yea that seems to be the case. If you don't mind me asking which would be the nicer of the two. I think the Nikon is supposed to be on the axis
    Personally, I have no idea which is better. That said, I would go back to where I bought it, with the new rifle, and ask to see the one they showed you. If it has a different scope, which it obviously did, I would ask them to switch it for the one you like the best (after doing thorough research to see which is actually better). If they refuse, I would simply return the rifle and purchase it somewhere else as a matter of principle.

Basic Member
    I am not an expert, but the one with circles are usually a "BDC" type retical, Bullet Drop Compensator I think. The "dashes" are typically the same thing basically, indicating the MOA "Minutes of Angle". You scope should have had a manual, or go online to the MFG and you should be able to download it. It will tell you. Those dashes should be the correct MOA at a given magnification on your scope, as I understand it, typically the highest magnification.

So, lets say you have, from the center of the cross hairs, 4 small dashes then 1 longer one, and lets say your scope is factory set to 9x for true MOA. Lets further assume you are zeroed at 100 yards, and now you want to hit a target at 300 Yards, you know from your drop table you need to shoot 3 MOA high with your 100 yard zero to hit a target at 300 yards, so on your scope, set to 9x, you would go down 3 dashes from the crosshairs and hold that 3rd dash on the 300 yard target, and if everything is correct, you will hit said target at 300 yards.

Hopefully I have explained it, you can also use the dashes for ranging, ie..finding the range of a target as well..

Again, I am not an expert, but I believe I am correct...

Shoot well

Basic Member
    Yep, fromtheplains, that link SLED provided has a manual that you can download. Recommend downloading it and looking at it. I actually just ordered the same scope only the 6x-24x version.

But yes, at 9x it is calibrated to 1 moa for each hash mark, so you can use it and drop data, windage data to put the round down range on target.

I have heard different opinions, but most "experienced" shooters seem to not like the BDC style scopes..again only what I have heard and read, I have no experience with them, and only limited experience with this style. I am kind of old school, 3 x 9 scope sight in at 3" hi at 100 and learn the holdovers, and try and get closer. Now all this neat cool stuff...

But it does work, I took my 223 out to a 300 yard range the other day for the first time, they told me the steel was at 330 yards, I used the hash marks, determined I needed 3.5 moa at that range, and held between 3 and 4th hash mark, rang the steel 1st shot and ran it the next 6...

Read that manual...

+1 on the shotgun, been shooting sporting clays, skeet and trap for last 10 years, now I started back up with the rifle..wife is just thrilled...now I got 2 bad habits!

Shoot well

Team Savage
    I'd keep the one you have. As much as I like the Nikon BDC scopes for their image quality and other features, the circles get in my way. They cover too much of the target. On the range, I like them, but in the field, I'll take hash marks every day.

The Nikon BDC reticle is okay for quick, close shots. However, they are inadequate for precision shooting.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by scootergisme View Post
    The Nikon BDC reticle is okay for quick, close shots. However, they are inadequate for precision shooting.
    That's funny because if I'm at the range, shooting 300+ yards, that's about the only place I like the BDC reticle. Different strokes though...

For hunting I really like the BDC reticle. I don't figure to ever exceed 400 yards and it is fine for that. Look up your load using the model number on http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/s...n.html#Index:4 and keep track of the ranges (I paste the figures under the lens cover).

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    For hunting I really like the BDC reticle. I don't figure to ever exceed 400 yards and it is fine for that. Look up your load using the model number on http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/s...n.html#Index:4 and keep track of the ranges (I paste the figures under the lens cover).
    That's a really good idea. I like that. Hope that lens cover don't fall off though. LOL I've seen a lot of guys tape their dope on the scope. I put it on my stock, where my cheek lies.

Went back to the store today. The manager was not helpful. Pretty much was 2 steps away from calling me a liar. The sales associate who sold the gun was in my corner. So they will sub me another Nikon bdc scope since they can't find the original rifle.

Side note I did try using the Bushnell. But I kept on having a hard time seeing the cross hairs. The Nikon are a little thicker. I think after all of this I may need glasses

Basic Member
    Fromtheplaines,

I find that shooting in the early morning like I do, a fine reticle is often difficult to see in the dull light.
    However, as you shoot for more accuracy, you will find that a fine reticle is worth using if you want to 'aim small' so you can 'hit small'.
    Thick reticles are good for hunting and quick target acquisition but the cover too much of your aim point to get the most accuracy when target shooting.
    Both are great for their specific purposes, but if you are target shooting, a thicker reticle can lead to less accuracy because a thick reticle covers too much of your aim point.

As an old shooter who has problems seeing anything without my glasses, I sympathize with you.
    Have you tried adjusting the reticle focus by twisting the rear optic housing?
    That adjustment only changes the reticle focus and makes no difference in the target focus.
    Scopes with Adjustable objectives on the front optic or parallax adjustments on the left turret on the tube focus the target plane, but most base scopes don't have those features.

Your eyes may need a slight adjustment in the focus of the reticle plane versus the target plane.
    If the focus of the reticle is not in the same focal plane as the target, your eye will be forced to focus on one or the other and it will almost always choose the target plane unless you strain your eye to focus the reticle.
    That makes the reticle look less clear and it becomes difficult to see.
    It really tires out your eyes during a range session and you probably will find your groups getting bigger as the session extends.

With my bad eyes, I have to adjust all my scopes to tune the reticle focus to suit my eye.
    Once I do, other people have trouble with seeing my reticles but the are in perfect focus for me.
    I hope this works for you.

What you can do to focus the reticle is to sight the scope at a brightly lit wall (regardless of how far it is).
    If the reticle is not sharp and clear at first glance, adjust the rear optic bell until it is.
    That adjusts the focus of the rear reticle for your eye.
    I would recommend that out try the reticle focus adjustment to see if it becomes more clear.

stumpkiller -

You and I share the same idea - the Nikon circles provide many more sighting options than my Burris BDC scopes with three hash marks. Bought a Nikon for just that reason (have about 9 Burris FFII/BDC) but have yet to put it on a rifle. Intent is to do what you have done.