Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What chassis are you using

What chassis are you using

Last edited by XL105; 12-28-2016 at 04:54 PM.
    Its Not the Violence that sets Men apart...
    Its the Distance They are Willing to travel!

Basic Member
    I run Mcrees and they are great. I always recommend a folding option for cleaning/measuring chamber etc. The XLR is a nice chasis as well. The Element is similar to the Mcrees

Basic Member
    I have the XLR chassis for my .308 10 FP SR. I have not shot it enough to give a thorough review. It is comfortable. I like the ergonomics and the similarities to the AR-15 platform.......which is why I bought it. As stated above, the folding option on any of them is a good idea. I did not buy mine with a folding adapter. Since my rifle is short action, is not that much of an issue. I can remove my bolt without lowering the cheek piece. I need to lower it to use the cleaning rod though. I have not shot with it enough to comment on accuracy, and hope to shoot with it extensively this spring, especially when my direct thread suppressor is (hopefully) approved. I have noticed my front action screw to loosen a little bit on the chassis after shooting it a while. Another XLR owner commented about that, so I was vigilant about mine. I have since put some blue loctite on the action screw and re-torqued it, but have not shot it since.

The Accuracy International mags work well in mine. I have a 10 round and 5, and both work equally well. I have since bought a "Original Bob Sled" single feed block. It fit the chassis after I had to modify the tab on the block.......no fault of the chassis as my AI mags fit just fine. But, it fits now and works well, although I have not live fired with it. That's about all I can contribute. I wished I had used mine more since I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by hafejd30 View Post
    The XLR is a nice chasis as well. The Element is similar to the Mcrees
    +1 on the XLR Element... Love the chassis, but not too crazy about their rear stocks. Don't get me wrong, they are very nice once you get them adjusted, but getting them dialed in is a lot of fidgeting with allen screws. I'd say I'd be perfectly willing to get another one, and likely will, but I'll probably put a Magpul PRS rear stock on it.... couple clicks here, couple clicks there, and you're done.

Team Savage
    +1 on the McRee with the folding butt. My G7 is a little heavy but it's been very accurate and comfortable.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by XL105 View Post
    I'm building a 300WM using model 111 action. 26" bartlein barrel. This build is for 1000 yards to ELR distances. Not to concerned on weight
    I have been going back and forth on whether I'm going with McMillan a3-5 or a chassis. I like the look of the chassis a lot. I know I will like the feel of McMillan I have similar setup on my F Class.
    Just looking for your opinions on your chassis. Likes dislikes. Mag issues stock issues anything. Pics also. I don't own a chassis. But I shoot AR-15 on regular basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    before you by a chassis take your AR out turn the scope up to full power put the cross on a target at 1000-1500yds and see how steady it is...i bet you see the pulse in your neck moving the reticle...dont just peek through lay there and dry fire 5xs like your running a bolt gun...now take your F-class rifle and do the same thing.

you know my opinion about chassis...they look cool as hell and thats where they end for me...MAKE 100% SURE you want a chassis before you buy one because if you dont like it your only going to get half(if your lucky)of what its worth...i just think that a good stock is a better choice for ELR work.

Basic Member
    My BIL uses the McMillan free recoil for his 1,000yd competition rig. As do many of his competitors and fellow graduates of the Williamsport clinic.

Basic Member
    I suppose I'm old fashioned, but I prefer a somewhat traditional stock. My favorite stock that I run is the SSS LVT stock. I do run a MDT LSS chassis, but I have the gun setup for a light weight long range build and the chassis system had the shortest build time. My next build will be a 338LM and I'll end up using a McMillan stock for that build.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member

My Mcree G5's. Black one is with folding hinge. I prefer chasis for ELR shooting. They just fit me better. I most always shoot prone tho

My Mcree G5's. Black one is with folding hinge. I prefer chasis for ELR shooting. They just fit me better. I most always shoot prone tho
    How is the hinge on the McRee?

Does it lock up solid? No rattle?
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Basic Member
    Yes locks solid, no rattle. It also locks in the folded position. Does have a tiny rattle when locked folded

Team Savage
    Yes locks solid, no rattle. It also locks in the folded position. Does have a tiny rattle when locked folded
    +1. Locks up real solid.

Quote Originally Posted by alphapygmy View Post
    +1. Locks up real solid.
    Thanks.

I plan to hit them up at the SHOT show.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XL105 View Post
    Xlr n Mcree are the two commented on here. Just doing some searching. Has anyone heard or used MDT Tac21 or choate?

Also mags. Can you use any mag with any chassis?
    Same question to accessories n buttstocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I read a little about the MDT TAC21 chassis before I bought the XLR. The one thing that I was apprehensive about was that the scope mounts to the chassis body and not on the receiver. The rifle receiver is enclosed within the chassis. I am really not sure if that poses a problem or not in practice. I just wasn't comfortable with that design. I really don't have an answer for the buttstock/mag question. I know some chassis systems use Accuracy International magazines.....like XLR and McRees. I just searched magazines for the MDT TAC21. Apparently, from what I read, it is not compatible with AI magazines. I am sure many of the chassis systems will have proprietary parts. There will be some exceptions for sure, but don't count of being able to use whatever part you wanted, such as another manufacturer's buttstock.

Basic Member
    I moved my 10FCP .308 to the MDT LSS chassis and their skeleton butt stock. Made the platform much more pleasant to shoot. A little on the heavy side but that is expected. No rattles, solid, great ergonomics. Especially with the super adjustable butt stock for cheek height, LOP and shoulder placement adjustment. I do need to drop the cheek riser to run the cleaning rod. So really no complaints. Being up here, where it seems like winter half the year, its pretty cold to hold when not on the bench rest.

Basic Member
    They are supposed to take AICS 5 and 10 round 308 mags, but I went with MDTs polymer mags. Inexpensive, light and pretty tough. I already ran over one by accident with my F150 and it is still pushing out cartridges.

Basic Member
    XLR Industries Element. I have three of them. l will let the pics do the talking. One is a Criterion barreled .308, the other a Krieger barreled 6BR. all 5 @ 100 yds. the .308 was just used as part of the 4 man team that just took the F/TR mid range (300, 500, & 600 yds shot) team National record.

Basic Member
    Depends on your shooting style. I carry a swiveling table in my receiver hitch and when I want to shoot I drop it and bang away. Since I ALWAYS shoot from a bench, even on game, I run regular bench stocks.

If I was a skinny, prone kinda guy I would go with a chassis.

I can't shoot a prone bipod group as well as a bench group and MOST people can't or they would shoot short range best rest on their bellies.

My style is uncommon but where I hunt and shoot I get to a high point in the truck and drop the bench and that's it. If I walked about and hunted away from my vehicle often I would go chassis. A case in point is a deer I wanted to kill was easily visible every day about 1300 yds away on my neighbors wheat field, unfortunately the only time he crossed our land was out of sight of anywhere I could get to without walking about 1.5 miles up and down canyons. Me and my cousin carried my 40lb Edge, front rest, rear bag and other gear over there and shot him at 780 yds. Then we carried all the gear AND the quartered deer back. That was one day I wished a shot a 12lb chassis lol.

I did put together a TAC 21 MDT chassis 300 win mag. I had it for about a year. I had no accuracy issues with it and it only had a ER Shaw barrel. I also have a MDT LSS chassis on my 7mm08.
    GLC

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicfromAlabama View Post
    I read a little about the MDT TAC21 chassis before I bought the XLR. The one thing that I was apprehensive about was that the scope mounts to the chassis body and not on the receiver. The rifle receiver is enclosed within the chassis. I am really not sure if that poses a problem or not in practice. I just wasn't comfortable with that design. I really don't have an answer for the buttstock/mag question. I know some chassis systems use Accuracy International magazines.....like XLR and McRees. I just searched magazines for the MDT TAC21. Apparently, from what I read, it is not compatible with AI magazines. I am sure many of the chassis systems will have proprietary parts. There will be some exceptions for sure, but don't count of being able to use whatever part you wanted, such as another manufacturer's buttstock.
    Hello, the TAC21 is compatible with any AICS pattern magazine.

As far as the scope rail being part of the chassis and not attached to the top of the receiver, the chassis body is a one piece tube that is more than rigid enough for the job, and there are at least three members of the Canadian F-Class Team who will be shooting the World championships with TAC21's.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swadiver View Post
    XLR Industries Element. I have three of them. l will let the pics do the talking. One is a Criterion barreled .308, the other a Krieger barreled 6BR. all 5 @ 100 yds. the .308 was just used as part of the 4 man team that just took the F/TR mid range (300, 500, & 600 yds shot) team National record.

I love the XLR Element as you can tell, but they ain't the most elegant looking rifles on the line that's for sure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast