Thread: very impressed with the 110 gr TTSX in 308

swamphonkey

very impressed with the 110 gr TTSX in 308

The last month Ive given the 110 ttsx in my 308 a real world test. Ive been hunting with it out in the delta along gas lines and the marsh runs and bayou. I worked up a screaming fast load that shoots like a house on fire. Running right at 3450 and holding well under a inch at 150. This little bullet is very flat to 300 and Ive taken a 115 lb sow at 451 paces with it. (That was the olney one that didn't pass completely through. Most shots have been between 150 and 300. And not having to worry about distance until 300 is very nice. Most of the shots are when game is crossing so I never have time to really think about all that. This last month I have taken 5 deer all were smaller meat deer between 110-150 pounds and 4 hogs between 90-240 pounds. The longest run was with the 90 lb young boar and it was a double lung shot with a good blood trail for around 50 yards. Most were DRT with perfect performance. You guys that deer hunt and hog hunt might want to give them a chance too. I love just putting the cross hair on him and turning the little blue beast loose. They seem very capable out past 400 and they get there right now. No leading or holdover its like a 25-06 or a 243 right at the crack they hit the dirt. Just thought Id give some of you guys that have question if the 110 would be enough for deer . I think its probably one of the very best Deer bullets out to 4 or 500 yards they have out now. From what Ive seen its a perfect blend of penetration and shock. Happy Hunting and yall have a great new year. Ill check in after hunting season. God bless y'all.

Sounds like you have a very good load worked up. Have used Barnes bullets since the late 80's in 30/06 and 270. Most recent in 260 rem. Randy Brooks set the world on fire with their all copper bullets years ago. Happy new year, our firearms season for deer, will be over in a couple weeks. Time for reloading and shooting! Feel fortunate to live in Georgia where our weather will be in 60's this week.
    Ackley was right all along

Perfect !

I also strongly believe that light for caliber TTSX bullets are the way to go if you're going to use monolithic bullets.

I have a hunting 300winmag I use for deer and the 130gr ttsx was the most accurate bullet in this rifle. Out the muzzle at 3,550 fps, like a laser out to 300+ yards.

BTW, 3,400+ fps with the 110gr ttsx in a 308win is fast ! but sounds perfect out to 300 yards.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the report! Been really thinking about loading the 110 TTSX for the wifey and 11 yr old son to hunt with.

What powder and barrel length? Also, how is the recoil?

swamphonkey
    Silver I use H335 max load barrel is stock Savage 308 not the heavy barrel. Its the reg old mod 10. The Recoil is very pleasant about like a 243 with full loads. Nothing a small person couldn't control well. Honestly I tried the 110s to see how they shot in it because other bullets were starting to open up to over 1" at 150. And Just on a impulse I got the 110s to try and they gave my old 308 a new life. Groups are well under 1" most clover leaf holes. Im sure others will require different powders but I had 335 and it was just what I expect out of my rifles. Under 1" at 150 or its traded or rebarrel.
    Good luck. I just did another bullet test with 7mm08 and hornady 154 gr interlocks. They didn't do as well. Lol.

Basic Member
    Yeah, just read your post on the 154's. At least you recovered the buck.

I bummed a few 110 vmax's from a friend. Loaded them up with Benchmark at max loads. It will be to test recoil not accuracy. Hopefully it's not bad.

Basic Member
    swamphonkey
    Did you crimp those bullets? I bought some 130's to load in my '06 and Barnes suggests crimping them due to the short shank. I would think the 110's would be even shorter.

On recoil, it seems to me I read somewhere that "felt" recoil of similar weight bullets from different calibers can be different due to the larger diameter of one of the bullets. I cannot quote my source, but it sure seems I read that once. Even if not, the extra 10 grains bullet weight would likely not be felt, from a 308/110 vs a 243/100 comparison.

I know the feeling on those light bullets. I shot some 58gr from my 243 years back and it was the first time after many years of loading and shooting my 243, that I EVER saw bullet impact before recoil kicked the scope off. Never chrono'd them, (didn't have one back then) but they were cooking for sure.

Basic Member
    Was finally able to shoot those 110 vmax loads. Recoil was noticeably less, but still a good thump (still thinking too much for the wifey and 11 ys old). Those 110's were cooking along pretty fast though @ high 3200's in the Axis 22" sporter.

swamphonkey
    Handi, actually I didn't crimp them and they seem to set fine. I loaded them to the very start of the first shank ring you can just see the ring starting. So they are in there pretty good. And the spread is very close Ive only got a few F.P.S. different and I don't think that rifle has ever shot so well. I really like them and will use them in that rifle until I find a flatter shooting load that penetrates as well and Kills as well. And thats a tall order.