Thread: Starting a Savage 110 LA 223 Build...Your Opinions Please

Starting a Savage 110 LA 223 Build...Your Opinions Please

A little while back I picked up a Savage 110 in .223 rem. I all most passed it up because I saw that it was a long action and I currently don't shoot/reload any long action calibers but for some reason I found myself picking this one up and rolling it over to see 223 stamped on the barrel. The shear oddity of it plus the the excellent price made it a no brainer to me. After ho humming around I have finally decided I would like to build a 300 yard tack driver around the action for plinking and the occasional coyote when needed. I need to keep this budget friendly so I do no upset the misses. I have a few parts in mind and would love opinions from people who have used these or found better options.

Stock: Dream would be a McMillan A5 used, BUT I also like some the Boyds laminate options as well. I can bed the rifle myself if need be.
    Barrel: I am leaning towards a 1:7 twist but I also see 1:9, 1:12 and 1:14. I would love opinions on what people actually use to get a 223 accurately out to 300 yards. I like the price of the EABCO stuff but the only 1:7 twist barrel I see is for the 223 Wylde. I will not be using any 5.56 so I don't see any need for the 223 Wylde chambering. I know the barrel is not where I want to skimp so I am open to other manufacturers as well.
    Trigger: Rifle Basix SAV-2, will probably be the last thing I purchase
    Scope: Currently have a Burris Predator Hunter 4-12x
    External vs Internal mag and bottom metal: I will stick with the factory configuration unless I pick up a used stock that is designed around the CDI bottom metal and I am forced to go that route.

Thoughts and opinions please

Basic Member
    Check out Grayboe or Greyboe stocks. They make A5s for under 400 I believe. They are licensed from McMillan, it's actually their son I believe. Not sure if they do savage yet but it's a heck of a deal.

For 300y you can get by running 50-60gr bullets or less. No need to shoot the heavies so a 1 in 9 twist and slower is fine. Unless you planned on going above 65 gr and farther down range there's no benefit to a 1 in 7.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I think CDI is the only one that makes a long action bottom metal that takes short action magazines.

I like my Boyds ProVarmint stock. Very similar to the A5, but in a laminate. Best of all they're a fraction of the price of the McMillan.

Jerry Teo took his 223 out to a mile with an ordinary Pac Nor prefit.
    http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...223-mile-1.php
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    The 223 wylde chamber is great for shooting the 75 and 80 grainers from a 1 in 7 twist. That barrel would fit your needs very nicely.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    To clarify the longer throat from the wylde chamber lets you seat the high bc bullets longer

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Banned
    I don't like composite stocks, so my suggestion would be Boyds Laminates.

I have two, both shoot sub 5/8 regularly and when not its me or load developments. While you can bed them, you don't have to. I am partial to the Thumb holes. I have one in the light hunter and one in the Varmint. Both worked about the same.

Barrel wise you want to get solid, then it should be Shilen, XC, Criterion and number others.

Banned
    Deleted dual post

You don't say if it has a heavy barrel or a sporter, but even if you have shot the rifle yet. I have a 110V from the late 1980s with a heavy barrel, 12" twist, that sounds similar to yours. With 55 grain bullets, it will put 5 into a dime sized hole. Only mods have been a Boyds stock, a single shot follower, and some trigger work (original). I haven't seen any need to bed it properly but may someday just out of curiosity.

Basic Member
    What's your idea of tack driver or what would you be satisfied with accuracy wise? I'm shooting 75's in my 9 twist and it's been working out pretty good with load development so far. It is shooting less than moa with easy hits on clay pigeons out to 550 yards.