Thread: New Axis Question.

jr 1968

New Axis Question.

I'am looking to get a new Axis and can't decide between the 7-08 or 6.5 creed? It will be used for Whitetail deer,
    woodchucks and crows.

I do reload so no problem there. the one that has me wondering is if the creed will become a thing of the
    past after awhile like some of the other chambrerings likes wsm's and short action ultra mags?

But anyways give some of your opinions, thanks.

jr 1968

My vote is the 6.5 Creed... The 6.5 bullets have been around and continuously updated/improved. Unless the match and competition shooters all go away from the 6.5 down to the 6mm, I doubt you're going to ever be "obsolete".

At least I hope so anyway as I just ordered my 260 rem match barrel today. I am also a reloader which is why I went with the 260, as I can get just a tad bit more speed out of it theoretically. Plus the BC of the 6.5 bullet will out perform the 7mm round given they are the same weight.

just my .02

Team Savage
    +1 on the creed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got the creed. Gotta say i love the accuracy out of the box.

The 6.5 creed is the flavor of the month, long term who knows. I've looked hard and haven't bit yet but I rarely shoot outside 300 yds and can't justify it with a 270 and a 7mm wsm in the safe.

Basic Member
    Since You reload, it won't matter anyway. All of the chamberings You mentioned are still being used by reloaders. I had the same decision to make in 2007 when the naysayers said the same stuff about the 260Rem, and it is still going strong.

If I had to make the decision You are contemplating, at this time, I would go with the 6.5 Creedmore. In fact, I considered it when I decided to go with the 260Rem. But it was just too new at that time, and didn't have as much after market support as it has now.

With the Creed, there is the advantage of the 6.5 pill, it is a truly short action case, has an appealing shoulder angle, and since it is such a hot number right now, it has good resale value.

oompahlumpa
    I was going to pick up an axis in 308. It's primary usage would be for deer hunting, but the guy helping me at my LGS talked me into the 6.5c. Glad what you guys are saying is pretty much the same thing he was saying. I think I got a great deal. Time to make it a better shooter!

Basic Member
    Hmmmm....tough choice there. Both are great cartridges. Let us know which way you went.