Thread: Richards microfit gun stocks

Basic Member

Richards microfit gun stocks

Does anyone have any experience with gun stocks from Richards microfit.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Basic Member

Using Tapatalk

You will find mixed reviews on these. In my experience, if you don't mind a wait and doing final fitment and finishing yourself then they make an excellent stock. They do however take some work, if you are expecting a boyds or stockys fit and finish they are not for you.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bignorm40 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with gun stocks from Richards microfit.

I bought a AA Select walnut stock for my Howa 1500. The wood was neither AA nor Select; however, it did make up into a very nice looking stock.

The good: The inletting was absolutely perfect. You couldn't ask for better.
    The bad: The rest of the stock looked like someone started to make a stock with a chain saw and quickly ran out of fuel and just tossed it into the shipping box. It was one step up from a log and it was HUGE. The comb was so high, the bolt wouldn't open far enough to chamber a round, much less remove the bolt for cleaning. I imagine half the weight of the stock wound up on my workroom floor. My first tool was a huge bandsaw and my second one was a 10" table saw. It took a long time with a hand plane, spoke shave, etc before I ever got to the sandpaper stage, starting with 40 grit.

I'm an experienced woodworker with access to all the right tools, so I was not in over my head, but many shooters probably would be.

Anyone thinking they can finish a stock like the one I got starting with 100 grit sandpaper will be disappointed. Yes, the website says that the stock requires finishing, but what I got was more like a perfectly inletted log. Plus I had to wait a LONG time to get it.

I hear some laminated stocks require less finishing.

Team Savage
    If you know ahead of time what to expect when your stock shows up, you're way ahead of the game. I've had them show up looking WTF?? to not too bad at all. Most rougher than others. Not too sure they know how to sharpen tools??
    I've had maybe 10 or 12 over the years and am thinking about ordering another, just so I don't forget what it takes to make a good fit and finish stock.
    IMHO, Richard's Micro-Fit Stocks are one of the better deals out there. Much better style selection than most of the other stock makers AND, the price is right. Order it up, forget about it and when it shows up, it'll be Christmas all over again.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    Yeah, I have a Drexel and plenty of sand paper..lol

I love there selection of stocks which is why I'm considering them...

Using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I too had to use a table saw for some of the course wood removal, but it's way easier to remove wood than put it back on...LOL

I got a Mikita electric sander http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-2-...4556/202312080

and 3M Pro Grade Precision sand paper with NO-Slip backing http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Pro-Gr...GP-4/205415923 starting with 80 grit.

This will cut your sanding time by 80%. Finish sand with 600 or finer. I used Bulls Eye sealer (non wax) to seal the stock so I could try out the fit at the range. I also pillar bedded the stock and bedded the action. Took me about 6 months of shooting, changing the LOP, refitting, shooting, etc. When happy with it, I wiped off the sealer with alcohol and applied the finish.

I have been very happy with mine. 99% inletted. Just a little inletting work and not much sanding at all. Still haven't had time to finish it though.

Did get i bedded though. Shoots great.

[IMG][/IMG]

I looked carefully at them when considering a replacement stock for my lefty Model 14. Not much lefty selection at all. I ended up going with Boyds, and am happy with my choice.

Basic Member
    I am currently waiting on a second from them. Definitely need to understand that you are going to be doing some work to it. I haven't ordered wood, just the laminate. Flared sides were not equal in each side but plenty of time got it so they were close enough.

I ordered the first one to serve as a bench gun for the wife. Turned out amazing, just had to put in quite a few hours of work.

Picture doesn't give the stock justice, it turned out great.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Team Savage
    The TIME you put into that stock made it HER'S!! Turned out real nice.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
    The TIME you put into that stock made it HER'S!! Turned out real nice.
    Thanks! I may have used a high gloss auto clear and then used carnauba wax over that to really make the grain pop and feel warm and soft against her face. Mine won't have the work done to it her's did. The rifle was a wedding present anyway so time was well worth it.

Shm

Basic Member
    Here's a couple of pics of my Richards Micro Fit that has been finished with a good quality varnish.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0660_zps1t6puoaa.jpg   IMG_0662_zpsrwxacttx.jpg   IMG_0661_zpsv5nbqqf9.jpg   IMG_0663_zpstptpgi2f.jpg  
    Last edited by Texas10; 01-05-2017 at 05:11 PM.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    Here's a couple of pics of my Richards Micro Fit that has been finished with a good quality varnish.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0660_zps1t6puoaa.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	2497Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0662_zpsrwxacttx.jpg 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	2498Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0661_zpsv5nbqqf9.jpg 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	2499Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0663_zpstptpgi2f.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	2500

Well done, looks great

Basic Member
    I can not see them all but the ones that I can see it looks very nice.

Using Tapatalk