Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First test loads, now what?

Basic Member

First test loads, now what?

I made my first loads for my VT11 in 233, I am happy with the results but not sure what to test next. I changed the powder by .4 grains and left seating depth constant. How should I make the next set of test rounds. Each target is 5 rounds at 100 yards.

Obviously 23.5 looks very good.

You have a few choices now...

-Play with the charge weight in 0.1gr increments, 23.3 - 23.4 - 23.5 - 23.6 & 23.7 gr
    -Load up some at 23.5 and play with the seating depth in 0.010" increments.
    -Load some at 23.5 at the same seating depth your original test and see how consistent it is by shooting several groups at different distances.

Basic Member
    I like 23.1. Did you yank that flyer at all? If it were me id go .1 increments between 23.1 and 23.5. Then change seating next round after that

Need more info. Powder, bullet, brass and primer.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Group 4 might be best... very little vertical variance. Could try playing with seating depth and see what happens.

Basic Member
    I tend to agree with foxx, #4 looks good.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Need more info. Powder, bullet, brass and primer.
    Hornady 68 grain HPBT
    Varget powder
    Remington brass
    CCI standard primer

Let's go 24.5, 24.8, 25.1, 25.4, 25.7

Load 3 of each. Paint each group with a different color sharpie from tip to ogive.

Put your target at your longest distance available. Not over 600 yrds though. Better if you can't see the group developing

Use a large sheet of white paper with one aiming dot in the middle.

Shoot the first one of each group of 3. Then the second then the third.

You should be able to see the color around each bullet hole. I kind of Mark each one with the color where I can look at it and evaluate. You are looking at vertical dispersion. Don't worry about horizontal yet.

Send us pics.of that and we.will tell you what to do next

Group 3, and test at 200/300/etc, depending on what you intend to use the load for and intended distance. You could try .1g higher and lower but I don't see any need to unless the longer distance testing shows something not seen at 100.

Basic Member
    The longest range I can shoot is 200 yards.

I got a little excited to load last night and made up 100 rounds, 55 are to share with a friend and plink with same load as target #3(23.5 grains). The test loads I made were 15 each of 23.3, 23.5, 23.7 so I went .2 up and down from target # 3. I thought it would be good to make enough of each one so 1 or 2 bad shots on my end wont send me down the wrong path. I dont have a lead sled, and am still new to this type of rifle shooting.

This is all with Remington brass, will other types of brass make a big difference?

Quote Originally Posted by 71velle View Post
    The longest range I can shoot is 200 yards.

I got a little excited to load last night and made up 100 rounds, 55 are to share with a friend and plink with same load as target #3(23.5 grains). The test loads I made were 15 each of 23.3, 23.5, 23.7 so I went .2 up and down from target # 3. I thought it would be good to make enough of each one so 1 or 2 bad shots on my end wont send me down the wrong path. I dont have a lead sled, and am still new to this type of rifle shooting.

This is all with Remington brass, will other types of brass make a big difference?
    What you loaded is good. Of each charge weight I would shoot 2 groups at 100 and 1 group at 200 or vice versa, 2 at 200 and 1 at 100.

I do the same thing by loading 2 or more groups of each to make sure the results are consistent and collaborate to each other.

Basic Member
    What power scope? Can you Make dot smaller ?
    #3 looks good. And yes shoot @ longer distance.

Basic Member
    I replaced the scope with a vortex that will go to 20x

Quote Originally Posted by m12lrs View Post
    Let's go 24.5, 24.8, 25.1, 25.4, 25.7

Put your target at your longest distance available.
    This, and the reason for me asking about components.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    This, and the reason for me asking about components.
    Why go with 1 grain more than tightest group and work up?
    Is this the ladder test?
    Is 200 yard long enough?

Why go with 1 grain more than tightest group and work up?
    Is this the ladder test?
    Is 200 yard long enough?
    200yards is good.

They're recommending going up in charge weight because it's common to see 25-26gr of Varget under 68-69gr pills.

Most people want the most velocity with good accuracy, but if you're never going to shoot beyond 200 yards there is no reason to bump up the velocity unless accuracy is better at the higher velocity.

And you'll never know until you try.

Usually there will be 2 accuracy nodes. One at lower velocities and one at higher velocities. I always like to find both.

200 yrds is sufficient. The further the distance the more vertical separation you will have between charges. Easier to read the target.

This is a bastardized OCW test to find your optimum charge weight. What you are looking.for are 2 or more charges that have little vertical separation. This is the powder charge that you want to work with as far as fine tuning the charge and seating.depth test.

Basic Member
    What I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around is why your groups seem to be hitting LOWER with each increase in charge wt. Is your scope creeping?

I agree with m12lrs about vertical separation. Usually when I shoot a load workup in my 223, the Point Of Impact shifts UPWARD with each increasingly hotter load. I look for the 3 loads that land nearest to the same elevation relative to the Point of Aim, pick the middle load and start seating depth work from there. Then once I find the best seating depth, go back and change the load by .1 grain increments to find tightest groups.

Basic Member
    I believe the scope is good. The last time out with the same ammo the elevation stayed constant.

The max load in my manual with Varget is 24.9, being new Im not sure about exceeding max loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    What I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around is why your groups seem to be hitting LOWER with each increase in charge wt. Is your scope creeping?

I agree with m12lrs about vertical separation. Usually when I shoot a load workup in my 223, the Point Of Impact shifts UPWARD with each increasingly hotter load. I look for the 3 loads that land nearest to the same elevation relative to the Point of Aim, pick the middle load and start seating depth work from there. Then once I find the best seating depth, go back and change the load by .1 grain increments to find tightest groups.
    Different barrels have different harmonics. I did a OCW and ladder recently where they seemed not to move up as velocity increased, and almost looks like they were going down.
    Actually I have 2 barrels right now that did that during load development. A 300winmag and a 308win.

OCW at 109 yards...

2 ladders of same charge weights at 328 yards...

If you are going down as the load is getting hotter you may want to back off.

I believe the scope is good. The last time out with the same ammo the elevation stayed constant.

The max load in my manual with Varget is 24.9, being new Im not sure about exceeding max loads.

Try this

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m12lrs View Post
    Ok they show 24 to 26 grains with a 69 grain bullet. The hornady book with the 68 grain bullet they say 22.7 to 24.9 grains of powder. I am using the 68 grain bullet, not sure how much of a difference that makes.

Being new I want to stay on the safe side, are the load books a little conservative?

Also, thanks to all you guys for helping me out.
    Not getting much help form the local shops, and have yet to meet anyone at the range the is real knowledgeable.

Basic Member
    i can say almost all summer we were playing the the 223 heavy bullets, 26grs is hot it will pop primers be careful and hard bolt opening will happen,, with the 75 amax i load 25gr for hunting this a hot load, i keep these loads in my cooler when hunting groundhogs in the summer. most of the time we run 24.5 max Varget with the 69gr you will find somewhere in the 24.something you like with the 69gr

Chet

Basic Member
    Its an odd day here in up state NY, over 50 degrees!!! I am loading up the rifle bag now. I made 3 different loads to test, I want to shoot at both 100 and 200 yards. Will post results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast