Thread: does anyone know why did savage remove the nib on the barrel lug and notches on the barrel nut?

Basic Member

does anyone know why did savage remove the nib on the barrel lug and notches on the barrel nut?

is it on all models or just the 10? they have successfully made a simple task into a very difficult one. thanks 1953greg

Banned
    I think as a lot do its a looks situation. They want more sleek.

Bottom release the same though highly annoying even for removing the action from a stock.

The reality is most people buy guns and don't modify. This is a hotbed of modifications but its far from the whole picture.

My recent smooth nut removal had the lug with the tab, so not sure if you are seeing something I have not?

Basic Member
    model 10 predator accustock accutrigger 223 22" fluted barrel bottom release dbm small shank smooth nut no nib
    only one i have w/ smooth nut or no nib. the detent is in the receiver but no nib
    just wonderin what everyone else has seen

Never heard of the ARP refered to as a nib.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    ....tab.....wasnt sure what to call it
    a nib is like a protrusion
    anyways...... its very difficult to keep the lug straight w/o the tab
    Last edited by 1953greg; 12-23-2016 at 08:36 PM.

Banned
    You could talk to Savage customer service, they are very nice.

I got the nib part, fine terminology with me.

Hadn't seen anyone report a nibless one before.

Otherwise it is possible to fabricate a nib (kind of like it) or get an aftermarket lug with it on it.

Basic Member
    i got it done......finally...just had to keep receiver upside dn and use a bubble level to keep receiver and lug aligned and loosen and turn barrel many times. just took the fun out!!!!!
    perhaps i have the only one. could have missed qc
    just wonderin and wanderin!!!

8. 12-23-2016, 11:52 PM
    Reason
    It offended mentioned user

^Subscribed^ LOL

And for future jobs with no tab on the lug you might get away with tacking it to the receiver with some epoxy.

Basic Member
    Having made it easy to change barrels, perhaps now they are afraid that people that can't figure out to keep air in their tires or oil in their motor will take them apart and do a bad job putting them back together. They may also worry about this more with some models than others...

Maybe you can grip the lug in a vice along with a piece of angle iron. You could drill the angle iron for an action screw. Don't they also make clamps for the barrel?

Banned
    If I was going to do a home fix , I would drill and tap the lug with a slightly oversize screw to the size of the tab.

You would not have to do anything more to it other than cut it off. You can put in either way and make sure the nut end is smooth with the surface of the lug.

That's me, I have good drill and tap setup, I don't have welding er.

Its possible with clean surfaces and super glues might work o put the tab on it. I have seen it do some amazing stuff, but I am not sure it would do so on smooth surface so roughening it up would be needed.

Yes they do make a tool called a barrel vide, trying to do mental pictures but I don't think it would help hold the lug in positions.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    If I was going to do a home fix , I would drill and tap the lug with a slightly oversize screw to the size of the tab.

You would not have to do anything more to it other than cut it off. You can put in either way and make sure the nut end is smooth with the surface of the lug.

That's me, I have good drill and tap setup, I don't have welding er.

Its possible with clean surfaces and super glues might work o put the tab on it. I have seen it do some amazing stuff, but I am not sure it would do so on smooth surface so roughening it up would be needed.

Yes they do make a tool called a barrel vide, trying to do mental pictures but I don't think it would help hold the lug in positions.
    Why not just drill a 1/8" or 5/32" hole and press-in a piece of Dowel Pin / Roll Pin???
    Last edited by Keith_A; 12-24-2016 at 05:23 PM. Reason: add term - roll pin

Banned
    Because I had not thought of it!

That would work nicely.

I would drill it shorter than all the way through and that would keep it locked in place.

The smooth barrel nut wrench works good. I put masking tape on the smooth barrel nut and off it came with out a scratch.

I did tighten the wrench's bolt too much and it snapped so I replaced it with a lil shorter M6 (if I remember correctly the threading) and it's good to go.

Trick is to put the action in the vice instead of the barrel (with the vice clamping the action at the end by the recoil lug), and hit the wrench with a hammer ( I point the hammer sideways and hit it with the center of the hammer) so it causes a shock when it hits the wrench.
    The shock/vibration will loosen it eventually.
    Never had to hit a barrel more than 3 strikes (besides the first time I swapped a barrel and had the barrel in the vice instead of the action).

Like the rest of you, I hate the smooth barrel nut, and especially the bottom bolt release !

Basic Member
    None of the Accustock recoil lugs have the tab you are asking about. I don't know why.

Banned
    Well that is interesting though of course another annoyance.