Thread: Cabela's 12FV customization.

Basic Member

Cabela's 12FV customization.

Hey guys. Merry Christmas from blizzardy South Dakota!! I picked up a Savage 12FV from Cabela's when they had them on sale for $349 earlier this year. Savage also had the $100 rebate running at the time. Hard to pass them up for $250. I know these are shooters and since I didn't own a 223 bolt gun, I chose that caliber. I'm ready to start playing with it and am looking for options for bottom metal. Do you know of anyone making a bottom metal that is compatible with AR mags? I have an H-S Precision PST114 stock available but need bottom metal. I don't NEED it to be magazine fed, but would prefer it. If it comes down to it, I would be fine with a single shot but would still need to cover the hole in the bottom of the stock. Please let me know what you have had experience with. I see plenty of options for 308 but 223 seems to be more limited. Please post pics of your 12FV conversions and what you like or dislike about the bottom metal you chose. Thanks everybody!!

Banned
    I went a different route.

I got a replacement stock that was for a top bolt release (Boyds). If you pick the short action stock type with a a blind magazine (solid wood on the bottom)

I then just filled it in with a wood block, fine tuned the height with some laminated strips so that cartage sits nicely on top and feeds fine.

I don't ever plan on anything but Bench shooting with it and single load is how I do it anyway.

Basic Member
    I'd prefer not to just plug the hole and make it a single shot. The more I look at it, the more I'd really like to get a bottom metal that allows use with AR mags, but only see those available for Rem700s. It would be nice to have the magazine flexibility that AR mags would offer, although they would limit COL significantly. I may consider at some point switching the stock 1/9 barrel for a 1/7 to allow shooting the heavy, high B.C. bullets that I enjoy in my ARs.

I've got a FV12 in 223 and 204 but just plan on using them from the bench and for PD trips out west. I intend to put boyd's on 'em sometime next year. I don't have any real trouble using the blind mag on these, but usually just do the single shot way as it's just easier IMO. I think trying to use an AR mag would cause more issues than it would be worth, possible feeding issues, the mag will/could limit your options on load development & bullet seating depths, etc.

The 9 twist should shoot the heavy bullets pretty good, mine shoots the 68/69's (my definition of heavy) pretty good for factory ammo, but it seems to prefer the 40-50's in factory ammo better. It will shoot the 75's ok, but I've just started load development for my FV12/223. I suggest you determine what your gun likes the best before switching the barrel, it may like the heavies now, but you don't say.

You don't state what you plan on using this 223 for. If you plan on carrying it around out in the field, its a barrel heavy gun, and would get pretty old in hurry for me anyways. I think the overall design of this model is for shooting from a rest or bipod or bags, whether out in the PD fields, or at the range. That's how I plan on using it anyways.

Basic Member
    This rig will be a prairie dog/bench/range gun so no worries about weight. I like the idea of using 5 or 10 round AR mags due to price and availability, but that appears to be out of the question as that bottom metal isn't made for Savages. COL would also be limited with AR mags. My idea of heavy 223 bullets is 70 grains and up. I've got an AR load using Hornady 75gr bthp that is excellent but 1/9 twist would be marginal at best with the heavy bullets. Does anyone have a standard removable box mag in 223 that would be willing to measure max COL?

Quote Originally Posted by quigley257 View Post
    Does anyone have a standard removable box mag in 223 that would be willing to measure max COL?
    Got a couple Savage mags that measure about 2.45" inside. Max COL would need to be a little under that.
    VISA loves me since I joined this site.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfrosch View Post
    Got a couple Savage mags that measure about 2.45" inside. Max COL would need to be a little under that.
    Thanks for the info!!

Basic Member
    I purchased a 12FV in 223 recently as well. Mine went into a McMillan stock that came off of my 308 Savage 10 FCP McMillan as soon as I got it home and the 308 10 FCP action went into a newly acquired McRee chassis. I'm planning on having CDI bottom metal installed into the McMillan stock so I can run the AICS type mags out of it. Here's a link to the bottom metal and the place I'm going to have inlet/install it........ http://www.cdiprecisiongunworksstore...m-stevens-200/

Basic Member
    Since your anticipated use is accuracy based shooting (PD's and targets), the one issue I might point out is that your ability to load heavier/longer bullets to a particular distance off the lands might be impaired by use of a magazine. With my blind magazine, I can't load more than one round of 75 grain BTHP because the COL is just too long and they'll jamb. And as the throat erodes and your need to move the bullet out further in the neck to maintain that best jump, again the magazine will become a limiting factor.

Just MHO.

Edit: Sorry for the duplication of OP post. Somehow I skipped over his post saying about the same thing
    Last edited by Texas10; 12-28-2016 at 06:55 PM.

Basic Member
    I put my .223 12FV in a Bell and Carlson A2 pictured here. I had it inlet by CDI. I am limited by the throat length on OAL rather than the magazine.