Thread: Savage 116 worth?

brownb56

Savage 116 worth?

Looking at a savage 116 chambered in 300win. Has the flat back receiver, 24 inch fluted barrel with factory muzzle brake. Looks to be in fairly new condition. Worth $450?

Sent from my SM-A9100 using Tapatalk

Factory or re-barrel?

brownb56
    Quote Originally Posted by ninner View Post
    Factory or re-barrel?
    Factory, straight flutes, has the savage tuneable muzzle brake. Still turns freely but would change it out for a better brake.

If its the one on Gunbroker for $449 Yes.

brownb56
    If its the one on Gunbroker for $449 Yes.
    Yep left handed, was hoping not to say anything in case it caught someone else's eye lol. Looking for a project, already have a newer 110 in 300win. But I'd keep this one factory and pull the barrel off the one I got now.

Sorry, That's a nice rifle.

brownb56
    Lol no worries. Thought it looked good and price sounded right. Figured wouldn't hurt to ask.

Basic Member
    They are really good guns.. I have one in 270 win and 7mm.... very accurate

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Personally I love the Savage Factory (AK) brake and find it to be very effective. Really nice to be able to turn it off with a twist of the wrist though mine stay on 99% of the time. Just be sure to keep it lubricated after shooting so it wont lock up and they are a joy to own and shoot.
    I have a couple of flatback lefty 116s and love them.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Yes, I second BHJ and the factory brake. I would love to find a couple 'take off' barrels with them.

brownb56
    Hopefully will get this one and be able to try it out. Just heard they weren't as good as other aftermarket brakes. Do like the idea of a brake I can turn off when hunting. Does it seem to change poi between on and off?

At one time I had a Savage Striker in 7mm-08 that would shoot one ragged hole groups at 100 yds. Didn't matter if brake was on or off. POI did move about 1/2".

This was stolen from me =( ..... Sure would love to have it back. It was a real special gun too, gift from Mr. Coburn.

Basic Member
    I have one in 7mm and it is not punishing at all with the factory brake.. I shoot at least 20 rounds easily without punishment

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

I don't see it listed anymore, did you get it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brownb56
    I don't see it listed anymore, did you get it?

Yep, just ended. No one else bid on it.

Quote Originally Posted by brownb56 View Post
    Yep, just ended. No one else bid on it.

Awesome grab good luck.

brownb56
    Thanks, here's hoping it shoots as good as it looks. Will set it aside as my elk gun and start on my new project if so.

I dont notice any shift in POI if the brake is on or off with my 30-06 116FLCSAK congrats on the pickup. I think you'll like it.

brownb56
    Got it to the range today, fairly happy with it. Finally got it sighted in, took longer because dummy me went the wrong way on the turrets to start with lol. Got to shoot a group with last three rounds. 180grain winchester factory loads. Little hard to focus in 2 degree weather lol. Will be working up my own loads next time.

I also have a 116 FLSAK in 300 Winchester, bought it brand new in the early 90's for $409. Back then, it was the Savage Weather Warrior. On the right day, it'll put 3 inside a silver dollar at 400 with 180 Nosler AccuBonds and IMR4831. It now serves as backup to my 116 in .338 Winchester, only because bears are the only thing I hunt anymore and I like the extra punch it offers. Mine has the 3 screw trigger, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I also have 3 lefty 116's, and I'm always looking for the factory fluted take-off's w/brake. Numrich has had them from time to time, but they're hard to locate on their website when they're in stock. They're never where you think they should be and usually they don't have proof marks or brakes.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    I also have a 116 FLSAK in 300 Winchester, bought it brand new in the early 90's for $409. Back then, it was the Savage Weather Warrior. On the right day, it'll put 3 inside a silver dollar at 400 with 180 Nosler AccuBonds and IMR4831. It now serves as backup to my 116 in .338 Winchester, only because bears are the only thing I hunt anymore and I like the extra punch it offers. Mine has the 3 screw trigger, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I also have 3 lefty 116's, and I'm always looking for the factory fluted take-off's w/brake. Numrich has had them from time to time, but they're hard to locate on their website when they're in stock. They're never where you think they should be and usually they don't have proof marks or brakes.
    So, you're the guy buying all those up! LOL

brownb56
    Won't be taking this barrel off anytime soon lol. Shoots good enough to replace my 110 with accutrigger in 300 win. Will be rechambering my 110 for 6.5-284 norma. Got a barrel and 308 bolt head on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by brownb56 View Post
    Won't be taking this barrel off anytime soon lol. Shoots good enough to replace my 110 with accutrigger in 300 win. Will be rechambering my 110 for 6.5-284 norma. Got a barrel and 308 bolt head on the way.

With a little load workup (if you reload) or try a handful of different manufacturers (and weights) I bet you tighten those groups up some more. My 116 seems to like Remmy Corelokts! under 1 moa consistently if I do my part.

brownb56
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post
    With a little load workup (if you reload) or try a handful of different manufacturers (and weights) I bet you tighten those groups up some more. My 116 seems to like Remmy Corelokts! under 1 moa consistently if I do my part.
    Yep will be doing some load development soon. Would have liked to shoot another group but it was cold and those were my last three rounds.

Congratulations on the new hunting rig. I'm sure you'll grow to like it more and more. I bought mine in 30-06 in the mid 1990s as my dream rifle. Think it was $400-450 out the door and it has filled the role of my favorite and primary hunting rifle ever since. Topped it with Leupold standard rings and bases and a Vari x2 which was my first Leupold and has held zero year after year. Stupid accurate with hand loads and fired a best 10 shot group of .446 at 100 yards it has served me well for decades. I sure wish Savage would put the FCSAKs and FLCSAKs in standard deer hunting calibers back in the lineup as a maxed out deer hunting rifle offering.