Thread: Which boyds for axis hb thats been rebarreled with a larger varmint contour

Basic Member

Arrow Which boyds for axis hb thats been rebarreled with a larger varmint contour

Varmint thumbhole, heritage or platinum?

Basic Member
    28" barrel

Depends on what you like!

I'm kidding just a bit, but it is true. The Platinum and Heritage are very traditional profiles, whereas thumbhole stocks can be something of an acquired taste. What kind of rifle are you putting together? From the sounds of the barrel, it seems like a long range rifle. I tend to use the Pro Varmint in my long range projects, but its vertical grip could also be an acquired taste.

Basic Member
    I wondered about that pro varmint too. Long range 6.5x55. I wondered if the thumbhole might offset the long barrel weight

Basic Member
    I like the thumb holes because they fit Me perfectly. And, I don't have to think about where My thumb is.

Basic Member
    Decided i am going with thumbhole. Now cant decide color. Royal jacaranda vs pepper vs? Barrel will be stainless and action black of course. Royal always looks cool to me. Trying to figure out what pops

Banned
    I like the Thumbhole a lot. As noted, you don't have to add in thumb position to what works and consistency (and that is the biggest variance in most guns is the shooter)
    While its my opinion, once you are under 5/8, the gun may shoot 1/4 but you can make it vary upwards of 3/4 easily.

The only objection I have to the Boyd's heave TH is the cheek riser laps over too far and my muffs catch on it. I may sand one down and see how it does. I finalagel my head and muffs around (and have plugs) and work it out.

The light TH is better in that regard but I do like the heavy stock.

Ideally a pistol grip per an AR would probably be best but I don't know I would like the look.

So far I like the Nutmeg color the best, others have really like the Cinnamon color as well as the Forest Camo.

I think they are best in high gloss finish.

My Boyds I ordered said it was a bull barrel contour but the Varmint barrel in it is really close (fine but close) I don't know if they just did not mill or you would need to remove material. Its easy enough to do tech wise, it does raise some sweat work wise. I don't plan on a bull but ordered the cut so if I did I didn't have to sand down.