Thread: How to tell if I have a 111 Trophy hunter or not for Boyds stock

Basic Member

How to tell if I have a 111 Trophy hunter or not for Boyds stock

I have been looking to get a Boyds thumbhole stock for a 111 25-06 I have. After looking at their site I have found that they have 2 different part numbers for the the 111 top bolt release and the 111 trophy hunter top bolt release. I am not sure which I have. How can I tell the difference so I can identify mine?
    Also would like to know if anyone can tell me if this stock can be opened up to a Varmint or bull profile ? As of now it is a factory sporter but will eventually be changed out.
    Any help is appreciated.

First off, look on your barrel just in front of the barrel nut (on the left side I believe) where Savage has the make and model stamped.
    Second, In the front of the trigger guard you will see a sliding button/flang that you have to push back to get the bolt out of the rifle (bottom bolt release) if it's a side bolt release you will see a little lever on the right hand side of the rifle sticking up just above the stock, and in front of the bolt handle. (top bolt release)

If you go with the Varmint Thumbhole, or Pro Varmint, There is enough wood around the barrel channel that you can open up to accommodate the varmint/bull profile... I don't think the Featherweight Thumbhole has enough around the barrel channel to go much bigger than a heavy sporter or light varmint however.

Basic Member
    The barrel only says 111 so I would assume it is not a hunter then. Wasnt sure if it would say hunter on the barrel or not.It is a side bolt release. Thanks for the info on the barrel channels it looks like they only have the lightweight thumb hole for my model. If I could go up to a varmint barrel that should work fine.
    Thanks for the reply

Coance,

You most likely have a 111 trophy hunter. With a top bolt release. do you know if it's a stagger feed or does it have a detachable box mag? also, what is the measurement between your action screws?

I input your gun as a 111 top bolt release, with a stagger feed blind mag, and came up with the varmint Thumbhole or Pro varmint. Just in case you actually do have to go with the FT Thumbhole... It will only accept a "LIGHT VARMINT" contour which is roughly the same contour as a heavy sporter.

The best way to make sure of what you have, is to take the serial number off your rifle and call savage directly. They will give you all the specs on your rifle including shank size which you will need if you ever want to put a new barrel on it.

Basic Member
    It is a DBM not blind mag. Action screws are a hair over 5 inches apart center to center. From what I can tell from Boyds I can't get the varmint thumbhole. It would have to be the feather weight thumbhole. I have since been researching converting to a blind mag. If I am understanding correctly that would allow me to go with a varmint thumbhole bull barrel. If all this is incorrect I apologize I am new to this and am trying to digest it all quickly can get confusing lol.

Don't feel alone... It all can be confusing for sure.... I agree with your findings after plugging it in myself to the search box at Boyds. Converting to the blind mag is your only option if you wish to stay with the Varmint Thumbhole.

Not sure if you are dead set on getting the varmint TH, but if you are not dead set, then I can tell you the Pro Varmint is a great stock as I have just put one on my Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP and it literally "dropped right in". No mods no nothing.

If you went with the Pro Varmint you wouldn't have to change anything or do anything to it except open the barrel channel from the Factory Barrel channel, to accept the varmint/bull barrel.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindA...on=4C&Shape=1G

Basic Member
    So the pro varmint can be opened up to varmint/bull contour. That makes the decision harder. I think from the pictures the pro varmint is similar to the factory stock on my fcp, which I like.

Quote Originally Posted by coance View Post
    So the pro varmint can be opened up to varmint/bull contour.
    Yes, that is correct. I would also advise going with one of the Laminate options as apposed to the black plywood. Laminate is by far a better option. I got the coyote laminate and it is Absolutely "Striking"

Basic Member
    I was definitely going laminate. Was just looking at their sight again and liked the nutmeg, coyote, forest camo and pepper. So I quess now I just need to know for sure if mine is a trophy hunter or not. Time to call savage.

If you go with the nutmeg I suggest going with a glossy finish to bring out the wood grain. If you leave it mate or non glossy, the nutmeg looks rather plain. I was going to go with the nutmeg originally until I saw a photo of one on this site (can't seem to find the link, but it was back when they called the Pro varmint a "Tacticool".

As far as the other color options, They are fine... I've got a Prairie hunter in the Pepper on my other rifle.

Good luck to you!

Basic Member
    Thanks for your help. Savage must be gone for the holidays got no answer. From what I can find on their site it looks like mine is the 111 fcns.

If it is an FNCS then it's pretty much the same rifle that I have. Pro varmint should fit just right. If you order the PV just know that it will probably be 1-2 months before you have it "in hand".

Basic Member
    Thanks again for all the help

Banned
    Ok, help clear things up a bit. .

Also, Boyds offers a Bull channel cut at least (maybe Varmint as well) for their stocks.

I got one on the Heavy Varmint Thumbhole. I am not sure if its mislabeled or I would have to open up, its got the Savage Heavy Varmint in it now and just clears.

I have done the Boyd's Light and an EABCO non bull (you can get a bull cut there as well) as I wanted the stock, didn't want to spend the money and did not want to wait two more weeks for their bull cut.

Its quite easy to do. I just used a dowel and heavy sandpaper, others motorize the operate.

I would go with the largest profile you think you want and then you don't have to do it yourself, all it does is have a bit extra clearance.

I do have the Boyd's light Thumbhole and it can be opened up to a BULL (I did it so that means its true of course

If you go with the Varmint Thumbhole, or Pro Varmint, There is enough wood around the barrel channel that you can open up to accommodate the varmint/bull profile... I don't think the Featherweight Thumbhole has enough around the barrel channel to go much bigger than a heavy sporter or light varmint however.

Basic Member
    Ok so both thumb holes and the pro varmint can be opened up. That sounds great. Makes the decision harder lol.